Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Routing templates & jigs

• 28-05-2016 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I found this jig from Trend hiding in my shed. I played around with it for a while....i was wondering if others had one and what they thought of it. I used a 17mm guide bush with a 6mm straight bit. Boy did it make a lot of noise with my 1/4 " router...I was trying to rout 18mm stock. I could'nt get deeper more than 10mm or so....thats with dangerously extending the 6mm straight bit beyond its max. limit from the collet. Come to think of it i think that was the reason for the excessive noise.
    Having got as far as 10mm in depth..i resorted to using a template router ie a bit with the runner on top. it did the job as it was able to follow the 10mm deep edge and finished the job of going the thru the full depth of the 18mm stock.
    It was a pretty long winded way of doing things and thought of collet extensions or longer bits so that the job would be made simpler.
    After an extensive Internet search i still couldnt source a quality collet/bit extension for my 1/4" router. Any ideas as to how i can do the job better.
    your ideas of template routing, on frame making templates in particular, would be appreciated also.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I have never seen a collet extension, but there are plenty of long bits to be got, with 6 mm shank you will have to take your time or they could snap , ive noticed recently the selection of routers bits in tool shops has increased greatly as has the quality .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Given the rpm, I would think anything other than a longer bit, fully embedded in the collet is inherently dangerous.
    Also as tabby supreme has said long, narrow diameter bits will snap quite easily without care.
    Have you a bigger router?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Sean, extending a 1/4" router bit is just not possible due to the tendency for the bits to snap.The first thing to do is to change over to a spiral solid tungsten bit. They are a bit pricey but the difference is huge.Have a look at www.wealdentool.com. If your router takes 8mm shanks they are a lot stronger and longer - you would easily get your 18mm cutting depth. Spiral bits come as upcut or downcut - the upcut is probably best here as it clears the dust from the groove as you rout.
    I know these jigs come with recommended bushing and bit combinations but you can play around with them to get the required offset. That looks like a useful jig for letterboxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Rutland's do quarter and half inch collet extensions.

Bear recipio's advice above in mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sean Farrell

Sorry everyone for not getting back sooner..for some reason i didnt receive alerts to ur responses till now.Thanks for ur replies btw.
    Yes collet extensions do appear a bit dodgie safety wise . I'm best looking for longer bits and doing less deep but more often passes with my routing technique.
    I got that jig while at a woodwork Show at Alexander Palace,London....its a bit fiddley to get bang on square alignment...the ruler on each side is basically a flimsy thick papered measuring tape that moves along the grooves,,,very frustrating. a spot of gluing could solve that. After a while i got the hang of it. The holding of the jig to stay in position so that the workpiece does not move while routing can be a bit of a hassle unless u have a workstation with holes in them to accomodate the clamps.
    Recipio ...i keep meaning to buy those spiral bits u mention...my next project will be to make a proper storage cabinet for all my router bits,with a special section for my imminent spirals ...i might even go so far as build my own router table above it......Castles in the Air moment i am in now.....as in dream about my future workshop set up.
    Thanks for the replies again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Recipio ...i keep meaning to buy those spiral bits u mention...my next project will be to make a proper storage cabinet for all my router bits,with a special section for my imminent spirals ...i might even go so far as build my own router table above it......Castles in the Air moment i am in now.....as in dream about my future workshop set up.
    Thanks for the replies again.

Sean, we all find that the value of the bits soon exceeds the value of our router(s) Spiral bits are great for clean cuts - I find them great in the dovetail jig for instance.The 8mm sizes are the same price as the 1/4" shank so try and budget for a router that will take both - you won't regret it.

Advertisement