Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

I tested positive on the 29th Dec, was feeling unwell for about 9 days, no symptoms now. Back to exercising since Thursday last,
    I have a dental appointment on Monday next (filling), should i go ahead with it or cancel?
    Edit* appt rescheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

signostic wrote: »
    I tested positive on the 29th Dec, was feeling unwell for about 9 days, no symptoms now. Back to exercising since Thursday last,
    I have a dental appointment on Monday next (filling), should i go ahead with it or cancel?
    Edit* appt rescheduled.

Did you lose taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

My husband and young daughter had it. Myself and our baby son never got it
    Daughter completely asymptotic and husband had a rash and upset stomach . Now since three months on , he’s beginning to feel like rubbish...with aura migraines and extreme fatigue .
    I’m not sure why I haven’t gotten it , the only thing is I was very ill with the flu and a desperate sinus infection in December 2019.... wondering if i had it back then

I wonder about this as have heard so many people who have tested negative when their partners conversely test positive .
    Maybe asymptomatic infection beforehand and now immune?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’m not sure why I haven’t gotten it , the only thing is I was very ill with the flu and a desperate sinus infection in December 2019.... wondering if i had it back then

I had the same thing in December ‘19. My wife was working in Asia for November and December and came home two weeks before Christmas. It’s possibly just coincidence but I do think otherwise now. I felt rotten Christmas week and just got worse and worse. I got so bad I was taken to hospital with suspected meningitis and was kept in for a day while they ran all the necessary tests. The rules out meningitis early enough but couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me. They eventually put it down to a bad strain of influenza. My cousin is a GP and reckons there’s a good chance I had it. My wife wasn’t sick at all and neither were any family members.

It’s possible the virus was around Europe and Ireland well before Christmas and the first wave was mild and not as contagious but then what we saw in March and constantly since is the mutation and more serious and deadly strain or strains.

I wasn’t fully back to myself until probably February of last year. Whatever I had, Covid or no Covid, absolutely floored me to the point where I couldn’t walk 50 yards without totally gassing out. It took a good 5/6 weeks for me to get back to myself. Thankfully I haven’t tested positive for Covid yet and I’ve had probably 5 tests since March all negative thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭fits

If it had been around last December the hospitals would have been overrun. We all saw what happened this year in a matter of weeks *with* restrictions and precautions in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Aye I bought one last March, came in very handy when 4 out of the 5 of us here got Covid just after xmas, very good for making sure your breathing and blood oxygenation is up where it should be, would recommend everyone buy one just in case you happen to get infected, I paid 20 euro for mine back then, but there is a fair bit of price gouging now and you can pay multiples of that in a Chemist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye I bought one last March, came in very handy when 4 out of the 5 of us here got Covid just after xmas, very good for making sure your breathing and blood oxygenation is up where it should be, would recommend everyone buy one just in case you happen to get infected, I paid 20 euro for mine back then, but there is a fair bit of price gouging now and you can pay multiples of that in a Chemist.

I have a pulse oximeter. Is there anything else worth having?

I've been thinking of getting and wearing compression socks. They can help with blood circulation, so I'm hoping it might help with the nasty side of blood clots.

Had a little bit of shortness of breath the last couple of days but I'm a smoker so didn't think covid immediately. Woke up this morning with a much tighter chest, sweats and chills, aches in my chest and back and a bad headache. Also just feel wrecked. Tested today, awaiting results (fairly positive they'll be positive)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lkavers

I’m 27 with no underlying conditions and tested positive on Thursday after noticing slight symptoms Tuesday night, just a slight sore throat on one side and a hoarse voice. So far I feel mostly fine, sense of taste and smell are gone since Thursday night and I have a slight cough at times but otherwise am mostly grand and so far the rest of my family in the house have shown no major symptoms

• Advertisement

Had a little bit of shortness of breath the last couple of days but I'm a smoker so didn't think covid immediately. Woke up this morning with a much tighter chest, sweats and chills, aches in my chest and back and a bad headache. Also just feel wrecked. Tested today, awaiting results (fairly positive they'll be positive)

Test (PCR) results came back in the early hours - Covid not detected.

While it’s a relief it kind of raises more questions than it answers! If it’s not Covid do I maybe just have some flu or something? Could it be a false negative perhaps? Did my body just subconsciously want to garner some sympathy with some psychosomatic symptoms ( :P ) I’m a bit puzzled tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

Test (PCR) results came back in the early hours - Covid not detected.

While it’s a relief it kind of raises more questions than it answers! If it’s not Covid do I maybe just have some flu or something? Could it be a false negative perhaps? Did my body just subconsciously want to garner some sympathy with some psychosomatic symptoms ( :P ) I’m a bit puzzled tbh

Great to hear you were negative.
    Do you mind sharing where you got tested and how long results took?
    I got tested at 11.30 yesterday in the national show centre in Swords.
    Anxiously waiting 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

fits wrote: »
    If it had been around last December the hospitals would have been overrun. We all saw what happened this year in a matter of weeks *with* restrictions and precautions in place.

The hospitals were actually overrun in December last year. The winter flu last year was absolutely everywhere and the night I spent in hospital the place was like a war zone. People on trolleys everywhere. Obviously nowhere near the level of shít that we’re in now but at the same time, what we saw in March wasn’t as bad as what we’re seeing now so it’s possible December last year was the first wave and it has since mutated and just gotten worse and worse as the months have gone by.

I don’t know though that’s the thing and I’m only presuming but if I was a betting man I’d have money on it that it was here last Christmas and the hospitals just didn’t know it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well government advice has been that there are no other viruses in circulation so if you have symptoms it's likely Covid. However I suspect that's them being wise about it, as if they said there may be other bugs about too many people would ignore symptoms and spread covid and as we've all seen throughout this the idiot percentage in the population can be high.

Other viruses don't magically go away. In normal flu seasons there are also common colds and winter vomiting bugs and pneumonia and the like going around. If you look at the testing and the percentage of those who are positive for covid it's a minority of people and recently because of the numbers and backlog many were only put forward for testing if they were symptomatic. So either a load of people are imagining things(some will) or the test is decidedly crap(unlikely at this stage) or there are other viruses around(more likely). Probably at a lower level than previous years what with the masks, hand washing and social distancing.

A friend of mine's family got some sort of infection just before christmas. Head cold with the squits kinda thing. They were all tested because all of them were symptomatic(kids and parents) and all returned negatives for covid. One was tested twice. Though fair dues to them they isolated as if they had it and didn't go to other households or have anyone come to them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

My other half tested positive last week after a large outbreak in a public office, so far besides a mild headache and a total loss of taste and smell she has not been too bad.

I would of been in close contact with her right up till the day she was tested as they arranged for the whole office to be tested in the afternoon only after making them aware of the need that morning.

So 4 days after her positive result I was tested as well but it came back negative, I was fully convinced I would be positive but I had heard plenty of stories of people in the same household and even sharing the same bed not getting it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

Roughly a week since developing symptoms and I'm feeling a lot better. Thankfully I didn't really get a bad dose and bar some shortness of breath around day 2-3 it just felt like a moderate flu.

In saying that the waistline probably took a bit of a hit from living off McDonald's drive through for the past week lol.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Roughly a week since developing symptoms and I'm feeling a lot better. Thankfully I didn't really get a bad dose and bar some shortness of breath around day 2-3 it just felt like a moderate flu.

In saying that the waistline probably took a bit of a hit from living off McDonald's drive through for the past week lol.
    Yet you claim in another thread you were in work yesterday.

You do realise you HAVE to self-isolate until it's been at least ten days since you first developed symptoms..??

Jane1012 wrote: »
    Great to hear you were negative.
    Do you mind sharing where you got tested and how long results took?
    I got tested at 11.30 yesterday in the national show centre in Swords.
    Anxiously waiting ��

I got mine done in a drive through one in Leopardstown, had to pay but got results within 13 hours of testing. Wasn't able to secure an initial consultation with my gp until Tuesday evening - if I had had covid my feckin illness would've been half over before I'd even managed to get tested! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Xenji wrote: »

So 4 days after her positive result I was tested as well but it came back negative, I was fully convinced I would be positive but I had heard plenty of stories of people in the same household and even sharing the same bed not getting it.

My husband had it last year and myself and the kids tested negative twice. Someone had visited the week before (before no visitors were allowed) and got it from him, or maybe they gave it to him, and yet I had been sharing a bed with him and didn’t. Unless I was the asymptotic patient zero as he claims!!

Quackster wrote: »
    Yet you claim in another thread you were in work yesterday.

You do realise you HAVE to self-isolate until it's been at least ten days since you first developed symptoms..??

Yup Quackster, lot's of spoofers on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Jane1012

I got mine done in a drive through one in Leopardstown, had to pay but got results within 13 hours of testing. Wasn't able to secure an initial consultation with my gp until Tuesday evening - if I had had covid my feckin illness would've been half over before I'd even managed to get tested! :pac:

That’s a great turnaround time.

Just updating for anyone coming here to ask the same question as me - I got tested Saturday at 11:30 and results through Sunday at 15:00 (negative) national show centre swords.

Also anyone struggling to get an appointment if you have an online doctor with your health insurance they can refer you. I noticed my VHI app updated to say they could do covid referrals for tests

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

Has anyone with underlying conditions or on Immunosuppressants gotten Covid-19?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

High temp, stiff/strained eyes, lower back pain, loss of smell and taste, all lasted two to three days but 14 days after symptoms I still cannot smell or taste and it sometimes feels like a have something lodged in my throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Laura2021 wrote: »
    Has anyone with underlying conditions or on Immunosuppressants gotten Covid-19?

Hi. Both elderly grandparents got it. One first, then the other about a week after. The first grandparent has diabetes and in late 80s and somehow got through it with minimal symptoms. Is in good form now after 2 weeks. Other is still battling through it and taking it day by day. Hope you're alright, it seems to be very unpredictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

My other half tested positive last week after a large outbreak in a public office

Do you know if many in the office were asymptomatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Do you know if many in the office were asymptomatic?

There was less than a week between everyone who was not WFH back in after New Years and the whole place getting tested, so there must of been staff who were asymptomatic and others who were not displaying symptoms yet, the nature of the building was always going to make the offices high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Having a bit of light headache and feel sore throat coming up over the past week or so but nothing serious. Not the first time it's happened.

I feel I should get mind at ease by taking covid test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭micks_address

ebayissues wrote: »
    Having a bit of light headache and feel sore throat coming up over the past week or so but nothing serious. Not the first time it's happened.

I feel I should get mind at ease by taking covid test

no harm to phone your GP for advice. I was similar last week and phoned and got referred for a test. It turned out to be negative. I wasnt very sick and working from home fulltime but was good to put it to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭brookers

My other half tested positive last week after a large outbreak in a public office, so far besides a mild headache and a total loss of taste and smell she has not been too bad.

I would of been in close contact with her right up till the day she was tested as they arranged for the whole office to be tested in the afternoon only after making them aware of the need that morning.

how do the staff feel about that. I work in a public office and we feel mgt dont give a hoot about us, all on top of each other etc, some of the younger staff dont even believe in covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

One year old daughter tested positive. So now we're getting tested.

Came from creche, one wobbler infected five wobblers.

Seems grand though, appears to be like a light cold. Hopefully stays that way.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement