Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French Cleats

Options
  • 05-06-2020 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I have a large garden shed that is an absolute mess at the moment and I want to put a bit of order to. Currently I’m working on the layout and trying to pick how I want to arrange the bulky items such as storage/benches/tool stations etc.

For the small things I was thinking of doing a wall of French cleats and building frames for them. I have no experience of using them but from youtube videos they seem to provide great versatility. The downside I see is that are probably expensive to install with regards to quantity of timber needed.

I would be interested in peoples experience/opinions of them?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Whats to say. Great method if done right.

Used to be the method of fast hanging kitchen cabinets back in the day. I am

showing my age now.

Properly fitted, straight and level they will hold up anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Excellent method to hang heavy mirrors, large art work/paintings etc or cabinets/storage systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Thanks lads, i've actually used french cleats for kitchens cabinets and a mirror before and they work great.

I guess i was just wondering from a tool storage perspective is there anything obvious i'm not considering but it seems like they're a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

They work a treat and cost is not a factor - they are only 50 x 30 mm softwood slats after all. However it is tempting to leave out the backs of the cabinets/shelves unless you design around it. You would then have to beef up the cabinets by using something like 18 mm ply and that gets a little pricey -unless you have some spare wood lying around.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Nice video here of similar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement