Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2016 Audi - which engine?

• 04-06-2020 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

This has probably been asked 1,000,000 times before, so apologies in advance...

Owing to a new arrival, I'm currently looking at buying an estate or 4x4, something like an Audi A4 Avant or might stretch to a Q5, or a Mazda Cx-5.

Anyway, I'm weighing up engine options and considering whether a Diesel is the best option - it would always have been my default choice before. Driving pattern is something like:

- Work commute of approximately 15 mins in the city;
    - Regular round trips of 200-400 miles once every 2-4 weeks.

If is wasn't for the long journeys, a petrol or hybrid would obviously be the choice; however, the longer trips usually tip my yearly mileage above the 12,000 mark. I'm afraid with a diesel that the 2-3 week interval between properly warming up the engine might cause (DPF?) issues down the line.

Any advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

For that sort of usage I'd probably be looking at a plug in hybrid - Mitsubishi Outlander will give you all the space you need for the new arrival, and you'd be able to do your work commute on the battery. Saving from that would probably outweigh the additional fuel usage on the longer journey.

2 -3 weeks of start / stop city driving would worry me in a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I had a 2016 A4 Saloon with the 1.4 petrol engine and even though I do very low annual mileage, I found it a very economical car for it's size. 35+ mpg in town driving and around 45 on the motorway, although I have a light right foot. It's a lovely quiet smooth engine and I'd definitely check it out.

I have a Passat now, with the 1.5 TSI petrol engine and it's also very smooth and frugal.

With a low annual mileage like yours, plus the odd long motorway run, petrol would be very suitable imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I've an a6 and in the 2.0 tdi there's 2 outputs, a 150bhp and a 190bhp. Not sure if same outputs on A4 but check it out so you know what you're getting. If that matters to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

A4 petrols in Ireland will be harder to find than the diesel but the 1.4 is nice, and the 190bhp 2.0 is lively. If buying a diesel try to get one with Ad Blue as they give a lot less trouble with DPF. Your long spin every couple of weeks should be fine for blowing out the cobwebs too. You won’t find many Q5’s if any at all with a petrol engine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

R.O.R wrote: »
    For that sort of usage I'd probably be looking at a plug in hybrid - Mitsubishi Outlander will give you all the space you need for the new arrival, and you'd be able to do your work commute on the battery. Saving from that would probably outweigh the additional fuel usage on the longer journey.

2 -3 weeks of start / stop city driving would worry me in a diesel.

The outlander would do the long journeys @ 40 mpg, best I got from the 200 mile was 47 mpg, worst was 35 mpg. last night I done 46 km on a charge and enough petrol to fill a can of coke.

An ordinary hybrid on the 200 mile trips would do about 50 mpg, lexus ct 200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭PaulRyan97

How about a Mercedes C350e?

Can be had for a decent price.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/c-class/fpa/202003168475517?journey=Search

Advertisement