Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is a charging relay needed?

Options
  • 02-06-2020 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I've just bought a towbar for my family car, and added the wiring harness for a 13pin (assuming it would be future proofed on 13 pin).

There's an option for another 40 euro for a charging relay extension kit.

I'm unsure whether it is worth paying more for that relay kit.

My assumption is that this allows the alternator to feed the charging pin on the towbar socket - but only when the vehicle battery is sufficiently/fully charged.

So I have two questions:
    1. Are my assumptions correct?
    2. For someone only contemplating the purchase of a trailer tent (in the next 1-2 years) would it be better to hold-off until then or get all the wiring done in one-go? (is a retro fit complicated for a charging relay?)

My immediate use of the towbar is for a 4-bike rack, but I am reasonably sure we'll eventually pick-up a trailer tent.

Any advice based on experience etc.. would be welcomed.
    Thanks

Comments

Ah I fit €80 contactors in vans on 2 x €10 per meter cable. As you can imagine that's a lot more expensive to cable to a trailer.
    If you want cheap do nothing at least it doesn't cost you anything.
    A little relay on a little wire won't do much at all.

This outlines the problem.

Propaganda Police. onpatrol.gif
    I get better or similar results substituting "120A" battery to battery units with Albright Contactors. If it's less than a 120A unit Albright can kick Sterling bottom from here to Sunday.

SW80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

How long will you be away in the trailer tent for and how long will you be driving it for? Very easy to charge the battery before you leave and top it up using hookup if you're at a proper campsite. Don't gain much by the extra charge on the drive

Alkers wrote: »
    Don't gain much by the extra charge on the drive

You could fix it.

468912.jpg

Advertisement