Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running electricity outside

• 02-06-2020 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi guys looking for advice re running cable for electricity outside. House
    Is surrounded by tarmac and then garden. I'm looking to install maybe a water feature and lighting around a pergola area. Is the best/only course of action digging up a section of tarmac running from house to said area? What depth would it want be and what type of cable? If I were to build shed down the line would this same cable be able to provide electricity to it also. Obviously I'd be getting an electrician to do the electrical work but wouldn't mind doing donkey work myself

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

You might be able to wire the water feature from the shed

The fountain and lighting usually need to be controlled separately

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hi up, you could run a supply for the shed and switch all from there or locally at the lights/feature. My preference would be to switch lighting and pump from the house centrally controlled, so I'd probably run the supplies out now in a duct and include room for possible expansions such as the shed.

Leave a draw/fish wire in the duct or drop a small pit with enough slack on the cables to use them as a draw wire in the future. That or run in a couple of ducts. Mind your bend radius and consider that you could have to pull heavy cable thru it in future depending on the length of run.

Advertisement