Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Famous inter-county minors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

feargale wrote: »
    Was he on the Carlow minor hurling team that got to the Leinster final?

He was. 2006 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Gael85

Was he on the Carlow minor hurling team that got to the Leinster final?

2006 Leinster minor hurling final. He started full forward for Carlow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Soccer manager Michael O'Neill played for Antrim football minors and his father was Antrim hurling goalkeeper for 15 years.

My father remembers Martin O'Neill playing for Derry minors in late 60s. I was in Kilrea a few months ago, it is an odd little town on the Antrim border, I once saw Paddy Bradley buying ice cream in Kilrea in 2005, a random memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Archbishop Sean Brady played minor football with Cavan.

Might be the one I was thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

Soccer manager Michael O'Neill played for Antrim football minors and his father was Antrim hurling goalkeeper for 15 years.

My father remembers Martin O'Neill playing for Derry minors in late 60s. I was in Kilrea a few months ago, it is an odd little town on the Antrim border, I once saw Paddy Bradley buying ice cream in Kilrea in 2005, a random memory.

Interesting. What type of ice-cream was it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that Gary Rogers (Dundalk goalkeeper) played with the Meath minors. I know he played with the Seniors a couple of times and was sub goalkeeper when the Juniors won the All Ireland championship in the mid 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rrs

Cillian Sheridan played with Cavans Minors. He was offered a AFL contract before joining Celtic.
    Gavin Duffy former Connacht player,
    played Minor with Mayo and returned to Mayo panel at end of his Rugby days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

John Muldoon, Connacht rugby legend, played minor hurling for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Chris O'Dowd (actor) in goal for Roscommon in the 1997 Connacht minor football final:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx3DR-R1bww

Edit: Sorry, didn't see at first that Chris O'Dowd was already named in post #2. But at least there's a video of him now as well...!

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that Gary Rogers (Dundalk goalkeeper) played with the Meath minors. I know he played with the Seniors a couple of times and was sub goalkeeper when the Juniors won the All Ireland championship in the mid 2000s.

Think Rogers played with Meath minors in 99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

OFFALY FOOTBALL:
    Brian Cowen.

Seriously?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Did Enda Kenny play minor for Mayo?

Did one Charles J. Haughey play minor for Dublin, or did his minor years coincide with disqualification? He did play Gaelic and his brother won a SF all-Ireland in 1955.

Last Sunday's Times had a photo of Enda playing golf sporting a lockdown beard and long lockdown hair with the bubble: "I'm not cutting it until Mayo win the All-Ireland." I'd say he will be in demand to do Santa Claus for decades of Christmases to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Xabi Alonso played both Minor and Senior for Meath. Hit one of his long range specials from inside his own half, to draw the '96 All Ireland final, denying Mayo the win. It all ended with him battering the head off Ray Dempsey in the Schmozzle the next day, getting sent off and back he went, on the boat to Spain. He couldn't even speak English.

pipelaser wrote: »
    Xabi Alonso played both Minor and Senior for Meath. Hit one of his long range specials from inside his own half, to draw the '96 All Ireland final, denying Mayo the win. It all ended with him battering the head off Ray Dempsey in the Schmozzle the next day, getting sent off and back he went, on the boat to Spain. He couldn't even speak English.

Se no incorpora jugando como señor. Usted tambien tiene que leer el OP, burro.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

MAYO FOOTBALL:
    John O'Mahony T.D,

He did play senior for a few years. Generally though, much better known as a 'GAA man' than a politician...

Gearoid Adams(Gerry Adam's Junior) Played for Antrim Minors

Gavin Duffy(Former Ruby player for Connacht and Ireland) played for Mayo and made it to an All Ireland Minor Final

Actor Paul Mescal played for Kildare Minors

Comedian Dara O'Briain played a game of hurling(in goals apparently)for Wicklow Minors

Rory O'Connor of Rory's Stories was a Meath Minor

Quinn played for Fermanagh

pipelaser wrote: »
    Gearoid Adams(Gerry Adam's Junior) Played for Antrim Minors

Gavin Duffy(Former Ruby player for Connacht and Ireland) played for Mayo and made it to an All Ireland Minor Final

Actor Paul Mescal played for Kildare Minors

Comedian Dara O'Briain played a game of hurling(in goals apparently)for Wicklow Minors

Rory O'Connor of Rory's Stories was a Meath Minor

Quinn played for Fermanagh

Gearoid Adams played senior for Antrim for a number of years.

Gael85 wrote: »

Did poet Patrick Kavanagh play for Monaghan minors and perhaps seniors?

And famous for what?

And famous for what?

??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Donncha Ryan, ex Munster rugby, minor football for Tipp.

??

Presume he means what's Gearóid Adams famous for, other than being Gerry's son?

Unless of course you're really taking to heart that bit in the first post, about "let's keep the bar fairly low about the level of fame". :)

Presume he means what's Gearóid Adams famous for, other than being Gerry's son?

Unless of course you're really taking to heart that bit in the first post, about "let's keep the bar fairly low about the level of fame". :)

The OP said players that never went on to play senior. I was pointing to another poster Gearoid had played for Antrim at senior level. 🙂

Sound. I see now that it was actually somebody else who nominated Gearóid Adams in the first place, so the question "famous for what?" should be directed to them rather than you. Glad we cleared that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Patrick Kavanagh did not play minor (or senior) football for Monaghan.
    Digression - He had an interesting career as a senior goalkeeper for Inniskeen, including playing in a county final. He was also secretary and treasurer of the club from 1930-32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Not Minor but Steve Staunton did play u16 for Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Im sure I read somewhere Mal Donaghy played for Antrim minors but I can't find a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Jimmy Sloyan played minor for Mayo but walked away from it.

Oh for heaven's sake, did no county minor ever go on to do anything other than kick a football in another code?

Statesmen, Popes, Tycoons, Revolutionaries, Poets, Mass murderers, Scientists and Inventors please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Jimmy Sloyan played minor for Mayo but walked away from it.

:D

Advertisement