Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Flat 2020

Options
  • 23-05-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Now that we have some structure for the upcoming and late arriving Flat, I thought we should get the banter going around here for fancies and predictions for the 2020 season.
    We have to start with Pinatubo, who was top class last year and could sweep his way through the 1m races this year starting with the 2,000 Guineas on June 6th. I wasn't bowled over by Ballydoyles 2yo's last season and I can't see an Australia or Minding in there anywhere. Armory, Arizona and Lope y Fernandez were well held by Pinatubo but looked the best of the bunch. His Derby horses don't fill you with confidence either with Mogul and Innisfree both exposed by Kameko in the Futurity at the back end of last season. There could be another Ruler of the World hiding as an unraced 3yo and considering their obsession with the Derby I wouldn't rule them out yet. One I'll keep an eye on is Iberia. I backed him a couple times last season and saw him at the Curragh where he stayed on. I reckon he could be a good middle distance or Leger type.
    My folks live in the Summerhill Co Meath area and it would be great to see Sheila Lavery and Robbie Colgan have a good season and maybe find another Group horse after the fatal injury to Lady Kaya last season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

While I appreciate a good horse as well as the next man, I doubt I’ll be able for the BS from the English press if pinatubo is the second coming of you know who I’m on about.
    Personally I’m just glad the racing is back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭leko99

Im interested in Lope Y Fernandez for the derby can any of you experts give me any info regarding his breeding in stepping up in trip.

Breeding: Lope De Vega (IRE) - Black Dahlia (Dansili)

Im also interested in Year Of The Tiger and Royal Dornoch. Going to have a few antepost slips once racing is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

leko99 wrote: »
    Im interested in Lope Y Fernandez for the derby can any of you experts give me any info regarding his breeding in stepping up in trip.

Breeding: Lope De Vega (IRE) - Black Dahlia (Dansili)

Im also interested in Year Of The Tiger and Royal Dornoch. Going to have a few antepost slips once racing is confirmed.

Lope de Vegas best progeny are milers. Black Dahlia's best form was also over a mile. I cant see him even running in the Derby, never mind in contention.
    Year of the Tiger is probably your best of those, but all of O'Briens 2yos form are patchy which usually means they aren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭leko99

Lope de Vegas best progeny are milers. Black Dahlia's best form was also over a mile. I cant see him even running in the Derby, never mind in contention.
    Year of the Tiger is probably your best of those, but all of O'Briens 2yos form are patchy which usually means they aren't good enough.

Thanks.

Who do you like for the derby at decent prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

Have serious doubts about pinatubo staying a mile

• Advertisement

leko99 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Who do you like for the derby at decent prices

I liked Iberia (A P O'Brien) last year and hope he progresses into a good middle distance type. Not sure if he's good enough to win it though. I just cant have any colt by Lope de Vega at 1m4f and there are quite a few up the top of the market for the Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I have serious doubts of Pinatubo training on. But if he has, he'll stay a mile no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Slattsy wrote: »
    I have serious doubts of Pinatubo training on. But if he has, he'll stay a mile no bother.

Thoughts on Arizona getting a mile? Can’t see it myself think he will be more a Commonwealth horse come Ascot.

I watched the dewhurst again and Pinatubo goes on towards the finish with Arizona slowing up and that was 7f

I will go for Pinatubo to win with Military March second and the latter being a main player in the Derby but his price shows that already but his main target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I always like a 2yo unbeaten superstar starting its 3yo season.
    Pinatubo has to get 8f in a fast race.
    The ground should be fast after the very dry weather.
    Every horse should be fit. They had plenty of time.
    There are no excuses that it was a cold spring, or the ground too heavy.
    By the time the 2000 Guineas takes place the time gap from previous form is greater than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Dayjur wrote: »
    Have serious doubts about pinatubo staying a mile

Pinatubo might be really disadvantaged by the delay. I think the other horses will get much closer to him. Its happened loads of times before a spectacular 2yo just doesn't improve (He may not need to)

That said if Irish horses cant travel to the uk, he'll clean up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

As someone who has no interest in flat racing, it looks like i have no choice but to get into it to get my horse racing fix.

Any handy A-Z to get up to speed.
    Who are the main players?
    any good horse matchups to watch out for?
    What are the biggest meetings over the summer?
    General Betting advise - draws etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

AOB’s plans

Coronation Cup - AVD, Broome & Sir Dragonet

2000 - Arizona & Wichita
    1000 - Love, Peaceful , Just Wonderful

Irish 2000 - Armory & Vatican City (smashed in betting of late, poster on here mentioned he won a trial behind closed doors)

Prince of Wales - Japan

Ascot GC - Kew Gardens straight there

Jersey Stakes - Monarch of Egypt

Derby Trials - Mogul, Amhran na bhfiann, Arthur’s Kingdom, Mythical & Nobel Prize

Anybody know much on those last 4 in the derby trials as they are all around 40/1 plus, Mogul is 10/1

Good to see he's kept a lot of older horses for this year. I'm not convinced about his 3yos though but the Derby does seem wide open if Pinatubo is just a miler.

Charles Briere, Fairway Consignment, pinhooked Arizona as a foal for 65,000 guineas, and sold him as a yearling to Coolmore for Euro 260,000.
    My mare and foal (she is visiting a stallion) are boarding in Normandy with Charles Briere, Fairway Consignment.
    Bonne chance, Charles, in the 2000 Guineas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Just see one of my main hopes from last year to get close at a price is possibly running in the uk 2000. Royal Lytham, and has won at the course. Last run was very eye catching. Cant be thinking about backing it until the day

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PooPooPooPoo

I am happy to keep the faith in Pinatubo. If he gets near the front 1f-2f home, he wins as he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Things are going to be back to front with regards to how O'Brien deals with the Epsom and Irish Derbies. Normally he sets sail for Epsom with a truckload of potential Derby winners, by the time that the Irish Derby comes around the pecking order of the top 12f horses is reasonably clear.

This year the Curragh Derby is only a week before the Epsom Derby which reduces the likely probability of many horses taking in both races . All this makes backing any O'Brien horse ante-post for either Derby a very risky prospect.

Roll on the 2,000 Guineas... Come on Mums Tipple
    Done him Antepost. Got caught up in the hype with his wide margin win.
    Have no online a/c's so could be my only bet for a month :(
    Apparently Threat not going so hopeful of at least lining up :pac:

Dream And Do, 7/1 in tomorrow's Poule d'Essai des Pouliches at Deauville, was foaled at the stud in Co Tipperary where my mare and foal board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Dream And Do, 7/1 in tomorrow's Poule d'Essai des Pouliches at Deauville, was foaled at the stud in Co Tipperary where my mare and foal board.

Brilliant game performance from Dream and Do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Thanks for Dream and Do
    Game filly

514934.jpg
    514934.jpg

Dream And Do number 7, near side, from the race video.
    (no idea why the double image)

Advertisement