Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance & Tax on van for private use

• 18-05-2020 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I’m thinking of buying a van for private use. What’s the most efficient way to tax and insure it without access to a company VAT number?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭oinkely

Private tax will be based on engine size. (€700 odd for me per year)

Insurance is a whole other kettle of fish. I have a crew cab which adds another layer of complexity, but shopping around is not an option. Current insurer are the only ones who will consider a crewcab for private use and they insist on calling it a mini bus.

You will have a few extra options with a regular van though i would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭brownetara

Looks like i have to tax it as a private car (costs more as they go off the old system of engine size) but then they screw you with the CVRT which has to be done every year, even though its not a commercial use van - typical! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭oinkely

brownetara wrote: »
    Looks like i have to tax it as a private car (costs more as they go off the old system of engine size) but then they screw you with the CVRT which has to be done every year, even though its not a commercial use van - typical! :(

Yeah, should have mentioned the CVRT too. Double the cost of the NCT and every year also.

Advertisement