Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Converting 3ph generator to 1ph

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Any details on that setup and costings?

DIY from job leftovers, orphan batteries no good for starting engines, upspec rejects and a few eBay bargains.

600VA Modified square wave inverter, 150W solar

460927.jpg

Runs the LED lights and an occasional brushed motor April to November. The battery is removed and charged off-site in the Winter. The system has two batteries. Parallel in sunny weather. Hot-swapped in Winter.

User has only reversed polarity and blown all the fuses once, lucky no further damage. I advised against building a liability into the device and advise was declined.

Not my barn by the way. I don't generally fit square waivers or high frequency inverters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

6.5hp.

I've suggested his shed is changed over to led lights which will get rid of halogen floodlights that are currently in place and also swap old the old bulbs too. That should reduce the burden on the generator.

If he desperately needs a kettle I've told him to put in a gas hob or get a caravaners kettle which is only 1kW.

It's a joke of a machine so, a 13hp engine is normally used to drive a generator of that kind of size.

6.5hp is only 4.84kW, it hasn't a hope in hell of outputting 6kW of electrical power.
    If it was coupled to a single phase head it would be good for about 3kW continuous at best.

61vVBE346mL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Seeing as the truth is coming out that's probably a 800VA > 1200VA^
    The ouput will look the same as the scope photo above..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

air wrote: »
    It's a joke of a machine so, a 13hp engine is normally used to drive a generator of that kind of size.

6.5hp is only 4.84kW, it hasn't a hope in hell of outputting 6kW of electrical power.
    If it was coupled to a single phase head it would be good for about 3kW continuous at best.

Not when it's protected by a 3A C rated MCB. :rolleyes:

Okay - I can get the kettle to boil (after 10:34min :D) but only on the 3rd single phase outlet.

Output 1 - which I was originally using has an undervoltage (380V down to 300V) when the load is applied (see photo)
    Output 2 - has an overvoltage (off scale) when load applied and hard labouring noise so was turned off before something failed
    Output 3 - slight dip in voltage but boils kettle in just over 10min

Question is - what is going on here with the different behaviour for each output?

Kettle itself is irrelevant now - it was just a load here.

Like I suggested earlier it sounds like the AVR is only monitoring one phase - possibly the one connected to output 2 since it's the only one that the generator reacted to.
    The kettle is overloading that phase and it's an unbalanced shock load hence the labouring.

Got asked to take a look at it this morning.
    Looks like the stator for burnt out, no voltage!

Tried to get a voltage across the brushes, it should be 5v, but the reading was reading over the place.
    Same with both sets of windings.

• Advertisement

Time to move on & pick up something more suited to the task at hand.

That is what he was told, but its a new generator/engine so he is looking to get a new set of windings installed by a nearby repair shop.
    Maybe even change over to a single phase unit.

If he can get it rewound single phase or put a new head on it that would be a good option. Hard to imagine it would make economic sense though.
    Presumably it was the 2kW kettle that did the damage?

air wrote: »
    If he can get it rewound single phase or put a new head on it that would be a good option. Hard to imagine it would make economic sense though.
    Presumably it was the 2kW kettle that did the damage?

2kW kettle plus approx 1.5kW of lights - didn't realise kettle was still switched on until damage done.
    Voltage dropped to zero which I thought meant it needed reflashing but was able to make drill rotate, a pile of smoke and that was that.

Bust a drill previously with him too.

https://m.uk.dhgate.com/product/diesel-engine-generator-for-industrial/475630564.html?f=bm%7cGMC%7cpla%7c1670763299%7c61518981061%7c475630564%7cpla-301146456863%7c011014001003%7cGB%7cdetmotor%7cm%7c2%7c&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=GMC&utm_campaign=detmotor&utm_term=475630564&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbOCppbp6QIVZIBQBh2JtgJnEAQYASABEgJpWfD_BwE#redirect_detail=PC2WAP

Been asked about this one...

It looks 3 phase to me. Chinese too. Told him he needs a single phase unit. He seems to think that the single posse of it will be enough for his needs.
    Can anyone recommend a 'cheaper' brand of single phase generator?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

He seems to think that the single posse of it will be enough for his needs.

As I said previously a person like this will give you no thanks and you will end up getting the blame when it blows up down the line.

I can only assume this 'fella' is relative and not a client client otherwise you would have washed your hands of it weeks ago?

If you want to give them advice they would be far better off getting a used generator with a honda, kubota, briggs etc branded engine that you will be able to get parts for 2, 10, 20 years down the line than some chinese ****e that blows up after 6 months. I'd take a 40 year old lister over that thing.

Yes, relative. Won't listen.
    Talking to a wall.

Won't listen when I tell him to get a single phase generator as he sees these bargains on these websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Does he realise that generator is at least €665 after shipping, vat, duty and administration fees?

If theres a problem the seller will probably say no problem just return it and we'll send you another one :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As I said previously a person like this will give you no thanks and you will end up getting the blame when it blows up down the line.

This.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

If a single phase supply is required buy a single phase generator, anything else is just messing and will result in a highly pi55ed off end user.

Does he realise that generator is at least €665 after shipping, vat, duty and administration fees?

If theres a problem the seller will probably say no problem just return it and we'll send you another one :rolleyes:

Refer to:
    Talking to a wall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Talking to a wall.

Won't listen when I tell him to get a single phase generator as he sees these bargains on these websites.

Just walk away.

This will cause far less friction than will be caused by him wasting money on a “solution” that is not fit for purpose. I have been don this road before.

Latest question is will the following fit in to replace the generator in his current broken one?

I'm aware his current generator is 3-phase and below is a 1-phase winding, but there is a 3-phase setup for €210 if the wiring will not suit.
    I think it would need an AVR etc.
    I need to check the dimensions, but what else are the potential issues so I can give him an answer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stator-Rotor-Coil-Power-Generator-For-6-5-7-Ps-1-Phase-From-Detec/174310213828?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111314%26meid%3Da04dd3200e4045488633176abeb803f4%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D254795564849%26itm%3D174310213828%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851

Advertisement