Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do Physios open back up

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Was to talking to my sports massage place, they hope to open “very soon” they have been in negotiations with the government.

That's good to hear. While I can't talk for that particular practice, I do know that there are a number of practice open since May 18th...
    With restrictions around booking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I've had 2 people contact me in the last 3 days looking for a relaxing massage, but then they 'found' someone who is open - clearly some dont mind putting others at risk.

I don't know about other therapists, but I'm finding it hard to get clear guidance as to when we can open, and I wouldn't be keen on using gloves to provide a massage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My physio is seeing people in person but only for "acute" cases. Got a couple of in-person appointments as I was having neck/shoulder issues that were preventing me from sleeping properly but other than that it's still video call for most appointments.

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    I've had 2 people contact me in the last 3 days looking for a relaxing massage, but then they 'found' someone who is open - clearly some dont mind putting others at risk.

I don't know about other therapists, but I'm finding it hard to get clear guidance as to when we can open, and I wouldn't be keen on using gloves to provide a massage.

Why do you think they "clearly don't mind putting others at risk"
    Why would you need to use gloves.

Surly if you carry out a risk consultation, use protective mask, wash hands and use sanatiser, then you don't need gloves nor are
    You are going to place anyone at risk.

Of course this will depend on the area that you're living in and what the infection rate is down to in that area.
    As an example in the county I live in we had 1 case in the passed 10 days. This not to take away from the seriousness of covid but just to give it perspective.

Ceepo wrote: »
    Why do you think they "clearly don't mind putting others at risk"
    Why would you need to use gloves.

Surly if you carry out a risk consultation, use protective mask, wash hands and use sanatiser, then you don't need gloves nor are
    You are going to place anyone at risk.

Of course this will depend on the area that you're living in and what the infection rate is down to in that area.
    As an example in the county I live in we had 1 case in the passed 10 days. This not to take away from the seriousness of covid but just to give it perspective.
    Anyone can lie on a risk consultation - or not know that they're actually carrying the virus, or not care.

I'll use a face shield, and the client would be using a mask, no issues with that. Wash hands, sanitiser etc, all no problem.

However, if the virus wasn't contagious then no one would have had to stop trading.

The room is small, with no ventilation, and if I physically have my hands on someone for 60 minutes then it would be fair to say I'm in close physical contact.

My clients come from other counties, including Dublin, so the infection area is multiple.

My perspective is that if it's not required for medical reasons then it's not needed - and that's how they're putting others at risk.

Unless of course a relaxing massage has been put on the list of essential services? And is a requirement for people to travel outside the 2/5k zone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Definitely an essential service

Definitely an essential service
    Physiotherapy - definitely

Sports massage for elite athletes, or for injury/rehab purposes - Also a yes.

A massage because someone has time off and fancies a pamper? absolutely not an essential service IMHO

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Anyone can lie on a risk consultation - or not know that they're actually carrying the virus, or not care.

I'll use a face shield, and the client would be using a mask, no issues with that. Wash hands, sanitiser etc, all no problem.

However, if the virus wasn't contagious then no one would have had to stop trading.

The room is small, with no ventilation, and if I physically have my hands on someone for 60 minutes then it would be fair to say I'm in close physical contact.

My clients come from other counties, including Dublin, so the infection area is multiple.

My perspective is that if it's not required for medical reasons then it's not needed - and that's how they're putting others at risk.

Unless of course a relaxing massage has been put on the list of essential services? And is a requirement for people to travel outside the 2/5k zone?

"Anyone can lie on a risk consultation - or not know that they're actually carrying the virus, or not care."
    Yes of course they " Could" lie or might not know they're carrying the covid virus, or any amount of other contagion. And as with all thing there's a risk. Basically all you or anyone can do is minimise the risk as much as possible.

"However, if the virus wasn't contagious then no one would have had to stop trading"
    Yes this is true and at the time that businesses were asked to close the virus was a lot more prevalent. However that risk is greatly reduce now. Hence why the country is starting to open up to a greater degree.

"The room is small, with no ventilation, and if I physically have my hands on someone for 60 minutes then it would be fair to say I'm in close physical contact."

As a massage therapist it would of course mean you would have physical contact. Be that for what ever your treatment times are.

I'm not sure where you are based, but travel restrictions still apply all be it less restricted. From tomorrow Monday its with your county or 20k if close to another Co border.

"Unless of course a relaxing massage has been put on the list of essential services? And is a requirement for people to travel outside the 2/5k zone?"

I think that you know that a "relaxing massage" wouldn't come under essentials service or a reason to go outside the 5k travel limit.

If you ONLY do relaxing massage then I would say you should stay close, if however you also treat injuries then I would se that as essential.

To the best of my knowledge massage therapy wasn't mentioned in any reopening phase. So if you are part of a massage society etc, then they might have guidelines. As physiotherapist have reopen (with restrictions) I know many physical therapy, NMT and Sport Injury Clinics have also reopened (also with restrictions)

If you're not and are self employed then you have to make up your own mind as to which category that best suits you to align with.

You are of course under no obligation to open now or indeed ever if you feel it is unsafe or you feel that you are putting people at risk.

Advertisement