Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When do Physios open back up

• 12-05-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭

Does any body know when physios are back open ? Is there a date yet ? I assume it will be the final phase ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Does any body know when physios are back open ? Is there a date yet ? I assume it will be the final phase ?

I know a few are opening from Monday 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ceepo wrote: »
    I know a few are opening from Monday 18th.

No justification for that.

Not saying they won't be opening but it's completely contrary to the guidance.

Edit: it shouldn't be any sooner than 20th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I think it could be July 20th, as I believe it falls under the criteria for phase 4. But it's still slightly unclear. I am a physical therapist and I'm aiming for July 20th. Anyone opening next Monday is putting themselves and others at risk IMO and I say that as someone who has not earned a penny since the 12th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just got an email from my physio to say they're reopening on 18th May. Sounds a bit dodgy to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My local physio are doing mainly online consultations: but will see patients in-clinic for pain and emergency treatment.

Got up like a spaceman, with full clean-down between clients, and none let in until last gone out and the place sanitised, etc

I don't think they're actually seeing very many in person, but the service is available if genuinely needed.

• Advertisement

No justification for that.

Not saying they won't be opening but it's completely contrary to the guidance.

It should be 10th of August.

2 chartered physios clinics ( with more than 1 physio employed) in 2 different towns near me posted a notification on FB yesterday evening.

Apparently they're following guidelines from the chartered physiotherapist association.

My understanding is that some medical service can resume from the 18th

Alun wrote: »
    Just got an email from my physio to say they're reopening on 18th May. Sounds a bit dodgy to me though.

Why..?

pconn062 wrote: »
    I think it could be July 20th, as I believe it falls under the criteria for phase 4. But it's still slightly unclear. I am a physical therapist and I'm aiming for July 20th. Anyone opening next Monday is putting themselves and others at risk IMO and I say that as someone who has not earned a penny since the 12th of March.

I had aligned with that. Until a dentist friend of mine point out that medical services could reopen on the 18th

Would you open if physiotherapist were opening.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

My body is broken might risk the 18th

2 chartered physios clinics ( with more than 1 physio employed) in 2 different towns near me posted a notification on FB yesterday evening.

Apparently they're following guidelines from the chartered physiotherapist association.

My understanding is that some medical service can resume from the 18th

Fair enough. Seeing another one. The roadmap document isn't clear on what services should/shouldn't open up in the area of health services so I suppose they can make a case for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I had aligned with that. Until a dentist friend of mine point out that medical services could reopen on the 18th

Medical, and dental, services never closed but most are only dealing with emergencies or urgent cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Would you open if physiotherapist were opening.?

I don't honestly know what to do. A good chunk of my work is still based around touch therapy, and it what a lot of my clients seek out. A lot of the physios I know do much less of that and could maybe manage better. I don't like the thoughts of opening and wearing a gown, mask and gloves. But maybe this is the new norm we have to get used too?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I imagine it's the same category as hairdressers though I guess you could make the argument if someone is in severe pain, that it falls under medical need, similar to a dentist appointment?

I also know of a few who are currently operating on a below the radar basis with some of their regular clients.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I don't honestly know what to do. A good chunk of my work is still based around touch therapy, and it what a lot of my clients seek out. A lot of the physios I know do much less of that and could maybe manage better. I don't like the thoughts of opening and wearing a gown, mask and gloves. But maybe this is the new norm we have to get used too?
    Similar and I have been turning down clients for the past few weeks.
    At some point we have to all get back to work. It may well be the new normal.

I had a quick browse on FB at a few physiotherapist clinic randomly around the country., and it would seem that there are quite a few clinics planning to open on the 18th.
    I'm pretty sure that others will also open but may not have advertised that just yet.
    I don't see just one clinic in a town opening. As sure as night follows day others will open too.
    I don't see any real difference between physical therapist / nmt/ sports injury therapist as being any different that physiotherapist.
    Some might be more "hands on" or offer 60 min sessions, they may have to look at this aspect of their practice.
    But if any individual therapist feels they should stay closed that is their right.

I get a sports massage every 2 weeks... my back and kneck are falling apart without it ...: do you reckon sports massages will be too close contact to return ?

I get a sports massage every 2 weeks... my back and kneck are falling apart without it ...: do you reckon sports massages will be too close contact to return ?

Are you getting exercises to do to try and address the root cause of the back and neck issues?

Are you getting exercises to do to try and address the root cause of the back and neck issues?

One physio gave me exercises that didn’t help.. maybe made it worse.....recently I discovered that i think I have a problem with the SCM muscle which stretches don’t work on, need a professional to work on it

One physio gave me exercises that didn’t help.. maybe made it worse.....recently I discovered that i think I have a problem with the SCM muscle which stretches don’t work on, need a professional to work on it

It just read as that it is just continuous soft tissue work just to help and if that's the case, unless nothing can be done to address the root cause and the treatment is just palliative, then so be it.

Is there nothing they can do to address the root cause because - and I'm no expert but - I don't think continuous soft tissue work would change something that is probably more fundamental.

I'm only asking because I've been to a couple of good physios in my time who have said that while the soft tissue work can help in the short term, the actual problem needs to be addressed and that is usually through some movements to address the issue. Fully appreciate they were different but just to explain why I asked, that's all.

What's your posture like?

• Advertisement

What's your posture like?

Terrible !!! If I stare at anything that not directly in front of me I get a headache... years of bad posture and staring at a laptop from a bad angle... and lifting weights/pushups wrong... and a bit of repetitive strain as well
    Going to buy a posture corrector

Terrible !!! If I stare at anything that not directly in front of me I get a headache... years of bad posture and staring at a laptop from a bad angle... and lifting weights/pushups wrong... and a bit of repetitive strain as well

Posture corrector are a complete waste of money imo.
    If you want you can pm me on a few pictures of your stand of posture front back and side)
    I'd be more that willing to have a look at them and give you some corrective work to help you. Free of charge of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Or do some Surya Namaskar every morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Do posture exercises instead
    Hard work and sore but great

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Marcus-Aurelius

Some physiotherapy clinics did not close during lockdown.
    Patients in need with acute pain, have been treated throughout the duration of lockdown.
    GP's are still referring to those in need. Nil guidance from ISCP to close private practice.

I am back working 2 weeks and actively seeing patients, with PPE and other strict measures in place.
    Patients seeking treatment and grateful of treatment plans for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Posture corrector are a complete waste of money imo.
    If you want you can pm me on a few pictures of your stand of posture front back and side)
    I'd be more that willing to have a look at them and give you some corrective work to help you. Free of charge of course.

That’s decent of you in fairness

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I would have thought sports massage, in distance terms, would be along the lines of tattooists, which aren't due to open until August, if everything goes to plan.

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    I would have thought sports massage, in distance terms, would be along the lines of tattooists, which aren't due to open until August, if everything goes to plan.

A sports massage can drastically improve someone’s quality of life, just like the dentist or other medical treatments... I don’t think tattoos have the same impact

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

A sports massage can drastically improve someone’s quality of life, just like the dentist or other medical treatments... I don’t think tattoos have the same impact
    It's not about the work, it's about the close proximity. Hence, I mentioned the distance.

As a sports therapist myself I'm hesitant to start back until it's deemed safe, but I'm losing money by not taking bookings and still paying rent on my therapy room.

• Advertisement

Was to talking to my sports massage place, they hope to open “very soon” they have been in negotiations with the government.

Advertisement