Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of going again.....

Options
  • 28-04-2020 12:51pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭

.....and buying another bike.

I've had a few - last one was an Aprilia Pegaso which I liked - a single cylinder 650cc machine. I didn't have indoor storage and the bike suffered outside over a couple of winters - I ended up giving it away.

I now have viable indoor storage (shed and a inflatable dehumidified bubble) and have a yen for a motorbike again.

This would be a 3rd vehicle for very limited mileage and I'd like to buy something older (like myself) with low milleage for long term ownership. In reality I'd only do a few miles on a good day. Couple of thousand miles p.a. I'd service it myself ideally.

I have a full unrestricted bike license.

I was thinking of maybe importing a twin - maybe 500-650cc.

BMW F series maybe? I also saw a lovely Kawasaki Ninja 500R online.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Are you urban or rural, where will you ride?
    What kind of riding?
    Are you short/tall?
    Do you want a single twin triple or 4?
    Expand......:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

H_Lime wrote: »
    Are you urban or rural, where will you ride?
    What kind of riding?
    Are you short/tall?
    Do you want a single twin triple or 4?
    Expand......:)

1/. Rural and purely for fun. I don't need a pure rocket ship.
    2/. 6'0" and stocky.
    3/. Don't mind on the exhaust - nothing too loud though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

do it, i went again after a 2 yr break, within 30 seconds on the new bike, it felt like i was home. Since all this covid stuff, i only managed to do about 20kms, but it's a nice feeling going out and looking at the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

Have a nice Enfield continental gt for sale it's late 19 only 1300 miles. 3 year warranty on these new 650 twins. Like a bonneville or w800 kawasaki

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

BMW F800GS from 2008 on if you don't mind a few more CC. I did a couple thousand KM around Morocco on a rental, mostly tarmac with some off road. Incredibly capable bike. At 6' the taller bikes no problem for you and the upright position is good in countryside (good everywhere really). I think it would be a good fit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Still looking and importing looks like a good idea (when travel restrictions allow).

Budget could be up to €3000, and it'd be an adventure going to collect it - fly over and ride back. I think a twin would be ideal (it'd make it possible to take the bike indoors for the winter).

Kawasaki ER-6 looks good......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

CB500 is a good option as well.

MT-07???

Found a nice Suzuki SV650 in the north. Low vrt but with quite low miles and very clean. Should be within budget.

Thinking of renting a van and just going up there. If it all goes well I'll buy it.

Is cash still king for instant payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Found a nice Suzuki SV650 in the north. Low vrt but with quite low miles and very clean. Should be within budget.

Thinking of renting a van and just going up there. If it all goes well I'll buy it.

Is cash still king for instant payment?

Instant no. Revolut would be and exchange rate better.

Seller doesn't have Revolut unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Seller doesn't have Revolut unfortunately

Tranferwise

blade1 wrote: »
    Tranferwise

Too slow. Looked at their site. Could take 2 days

Too slow. Looked at their site. Could take 2 days
    Takes me minutes.

Cash is king. Looks like I'll be carrying plenty shortly.

Epic road trip yesterday. Drove 550 miles in all. Bought the bike. Paid cash. Loaded it into a campervan.

SV looks decent. Needs a good cleaning and a service but apart from that it's good to go.

A few very minor mods have been done that I may put back to standard. Any suggestions on a breakers for used parts who'd maybe do a deal on the modded bits?

VRT appointment is made but nothing is available for 3 weeks. Can I ride the bike on its UK plates until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I think there's a grace period so you can work away on the English plates until the VRT. Maybe carry proof of the VRT appointment, just in case.

Congrats on your purchase! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Epic road trip yesterday. Drove 550 miles in all. Bought the bike. Paid cash. Loaded it into a campervan.

SV looks decent. Needs a good cleaning and a service but apart from that it's good to go.

A few very minor mods have been done that I may put back to standard. Any suggestions on a breakers for used parts who'd maybe do a deal on the modded bits?

VRT appointment is made but nothing is available for 3 weeks. Can I ride the bike on its UK plates until then?

Congratulations.. I took a 4 year sabbatical until last July and got a Triumph Street Triple. I havent regretted it once since. I was in a similar position RE: VRT... 3 weeks will be fine - just have the email confirmation to hand incase you get stopped. Insurance will usually cover you for 4 weeks (and will push it out a week or 2 if you cant get a date). Just make sure you bring all the documentation with you!!

I've serviced the bike fully and done a lot of cleaning and tidying. Put it back to almost original spec.

Some jobs were a doddle, whilst others were a pain.

Anyhow the bike is going really nicely and it's great fun on a nice day 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I've serviced the bike fully and done a lot of cleaning and tidying. Put it back to almost original spec.

Some jobs were a doddle, whilst others were a pain.

Anyhow the bike is going really nicely and it's great fun on a nice day ��

Cool, some pics of yer new machine?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dDADuLoaMsboFzZx5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7UTudqMdvFwrBR9fA

Changed the levers - front brake feels much better with OEM versions.

• Advertisement

VRT inspection this morning at 8.30am. lots of small jobs done on the Suzuki since. Rides really well.

VRT hadn't the exact model on their system. Can't see it'll make that much difference tbh as the VRT is a fixed amount dependent on engine size and age.

They'll contact me apparently with confirmation of what's payable (I already know how much).

VRT hadn't the exact model on their system. Can't see it'll make that much difference tbh as the VRT is a fixed amount dependent on engine size and age.

They'll contact me apparently with confirmation of what's payable (I already know how much).

I'd assume they'll just put down SV.

One of my Tuono's (the newer one) has nothing as model in the reg cert.
    And my other one has RSV1000R TUONO RSV1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

VRT hadn't the exact model on their system. .

Just goes to show you what garbage the data on the Revenue system for vehicles is.

I mean, you're the first person - EVER - to reg an SV650? I find that highly unlikely !! :pac::pac:

There's another classic SISO example on the car VRT calculator: have a look at it. Look under 'Make' from the drop-down menu. Look for Mercedes : it's in there TWICE !! Once, hyphenated, once not. FFS............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

They have a SFV650L1, and a SFV650L9 listed.

My bike in a SFV650LO however.

Can't see why it makes any difference as the VRT is based on c.c. in any event.

Changed the rear led light yesterday.

Old:-

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m8d3x4bxNESvcUKQ8

New:-

https://photos.app.goo.gl/is8vdTFafdexJx8e9

Fiddly job.

I was never that happy with the brakes. They worked but required a good pull on the lever.

I drove a near identical bike recently and the brakes were much better - more bite with less pressure. I had a new set of pads and the brake fluid was fresh anyhow.

Fitted the new pads (easy enough) but one of the front calipers had a seized pin and a seized piston too.

Pistons cleaned up ok and a new seal kit is on the way from Crossan's in Newry. I'll do all 3 calipers while I'm at it.

Forgot to update this.

Brakes are totally transformed. Powerful and progressive now. I fitted a small screen (MRA) which works well too. I fitted new tyres (Metzeller) which are good. Cleaned up and painted the wheels while they were off. Got a really good finish using rattle cans of etch primer and a hard finish satin black. I was able to get the wheels to spin on a Black and Decker Workmate carefully masked which made painting a doddle.

Bike is wintering, coated with ACF50. We did a spin last Sunday and whilst it was good fun and the winter gear worked fairly well I think I'm fairer weather biker.

There's no more jobs to do on it - it's really good now.

Advertisement