Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where is the best place to buy a bench and some dumbbells

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm sorta shocked by this, did that many people go to the gym before this?

Or are they just people who didn't exercise bored now at home and want weights?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

Has anyone ordered gym equipment from Elverys?

They have a selection of dumbbells in stock but states "PLEASE ALLOW 10 TO 15 WORKING DAYS FOR HOME GYM EQUIPMENT DELIVERY" at the checkout.

I ordered them on friday and got an email from an post to say it was arriving today so pretty quick turnaround

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Was one of the first into Lidl today and yeah, all dumbbells gone, a joke. Does anyone know if they restock them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

They have a selection of dumbbells in stock but states "PLEASE ALLOW 10 TO 15 WORKING DAYS FOR HOME GYM EQUIPMENT DELIVERY" at the checkout.

I ordered them . Will let you know when they arrive

Im looking for a bench. I thought I had one gotten yesterday . Ordered off Amazon but the seller said they couldn't deliver to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

dtfo wrote: »
    I ordered them on friday and got an email from an post to say it was arriving today so pretty quick turnaround

Thanks for that. The potential wait was putting me off.

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I ordered them . Will let you know when they arrive

Think I'll do the same :D

Those dbs are 10kg each. I mistakenly thought they were a pair if 20kg so I bought 2 pairs if them

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Those dbs are 10kg each. I mistakenly thought they were a pair if 20kg so I bought 2 pairs if them

Yeah only 10kg. Use them with a resistance band and you should be ok.

Can always load 20kg onto the one bar also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They never have big numbers of them when they have had similar offers and this time the demand skyrocketed. No surprise they were gone quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

mr price has a range of kettlebells and fitness stuff,it would tide a few people over,i was in milltown one in galway, 20kg kettlebell was 29.99 ,down to 4kgs they had,matts and other stuff too. worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah only 10kg. Use them with a resistance band and you should be ok.

Can always load 20kg onto the one bar also.

the 20kg kit means the entire set is 20kg.

20kg Dumbbell Set
    - 2.5kg x 4pcs cast iron weight
    - 1.25kg x 4pcs cast iron weight
    - 0.5kg x 4pcs cast iron weight
    - 2 x York 14” Chrome Spinlock Dumbbell bars
    - 2 x York Chrome Spinlock Collars

so 17kg of plates, and the dumbells. My old york dumbbell handle is about 1.8kg including the metal spin locks, that set shows plastic spinlocks but describes them as chrome, so I am not sure.
    https://www.elverys.ie/elverys/en/Elverys/Fitness/Home-Gym-Equipment/Weights/York-Cast-Iron-Dumbbell-Set--20kg%2C-Black/p/000000000001110662

You cannot fit all the plates only 1 bar. The most I can get on mine is 2x2.5 and 2x1.25 on each side. So a total of 15kg plates and 1.8kg bar so 16.8kg.

I also have 5kg plates and 10kg plates. The 10kg are too big to be doing most dumbell exercises, 5kg are great. I would advise against tri grip 5kg plates as they would be a wider diameter and can get in the way, and 5kg is easy to lift anyway so no need for it. -you probably won't find any anyways! I was saying in another thread to ask friends & relatives if they have any. Loads of lads I know bought weights before and do not use them, or could have some spare plates they would loan out.

If people are looking for plates it will be "standard" "1 inch" plates for these sets, there are ones with 2 inch holes for the more advanced sets. Some plates are vinyl and filled with concrete which are very bulky and so you will not fit much on the handle, I would avoid them.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/lifestyle/health/lidl-ireland-respond-frustrated-customers-21915322

customer said: "How come your Dumbbells in the special offers Are sold out in all Dublin 15 stores? Five minutes after opening."

A spokesperson said on Twitter: "We’re sorry about this. These items were forecast months in advance and due to the current situation demand for home fitness has increased massively as you can imagine."

At the moment there is no immediate plans to bring more of the gym items back onto shelves although they may try bring this special back sooner given the demand.

Also check adverts, some are absolute chancers but might drop the price. There are 2x5kg in galway for 25euro https://www.adverts.ie/weights/weight-plates-2-x-5-kg/20214019
    that is expensive but not outrageous, 4x5kg new are 37 euro on argos (if they were selling) https://www.adverts.ie/weights/weight-plates-2-x-5-kg/20214019

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭ongarite

Fitness Equipment Ireland are taking pre-orders for dumbbells for delivery from 15th May.
    Put my order in today, can't see gyms being open in 2-3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

ongarite wrote: »
    Fitness Equipment Ireland are taking pre-orders for dumbbells for delivery from 15th May.

Thanks for this.

I purchased one set of dumbbells myself, as the option is there to add to cart. I had wanted to buy other items too that are back in stock on May 15th but was unable to add them to the cart. I left a note, so hopefully they are able to facilitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Looks like practically everything is out of stock. Prices ok given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I see a lot of people on their Facebook asking where their orders are from last month with no replies. (Also, they jacked up prices by nearly a hundred quid when the lockdown started!) Wouldn't be giving my money to people who do that

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

brianblaze wrote: »
    I see a lot of people on their Facebook asking where their orders are from last month with no replies. (Also, they jacked up prices by nearly a hundred quid when the lockdown started!) Wouldn't be giving my money to people who do that

Ordered from them myself a few weeks ago. There was no way of tracking my order, they would not answer phone or email, then one day out of the blue the order arrived. I'd be in no rush to order from them again though because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭sp00k

Anyone know where to get one of those pullup bars that hook onto the door frame rather than screwing in? Not having much luck so far.

sp00k wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get one of those pullup bars that hook onto the door frame rather than screwing in? Not having much luck so far.

30 Quid though

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mr.Menace

If anyone is looking for benches that’s reasonably priced you can check sweatband.com . It’s a uk site so your going to have to use address pal or parcel motel but it still comes in cheaper than getting one here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any idea where I could get some Resistance Tubes? Looking for something like this from a local supplier (UK or Ireland)

https://img.xshoppy.shop/uploader/95bbb95e1dbd52d51de7565051e193b8d8851538.png

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm sorta shocked by this, did that many people go to the gym before this?

Or are they just people who didn't exercise bored now at home and want weights?

Considering a lot of people don't go to the gym because they don't have the time/are too knackered after work, it makes perfect sense that there's been an uptick.

There are a lot of gyms,with a lot of members,now with nowhere to workout,most wouldn't have any gym stuff at home bar very basics,which is why they gym

One thing I don't get is the sites with nothing in stock, stoll leaving their Google Ad campaigns on! That is not a cheap market to advertise on and the same companies are showing up constantly.

Same with the CPM ads. Companies spunking hundreds of quid away daily on advertising for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

One thing I don't get is the sites with nothing in stock, stoll leaving their Google Ad campaigns on! That is not a cheap market to advertise on and the same companies are showing up constantly.

Same with the CPM ads. Companies spunking hundreds of quid away daily on advertising for no reason.

I was thinking the same. I'm on the lookout for weights/bench/rack (and still will be after lockdown) and I thought surely the guys paying for ads will have stock. Nope, can't find a thing in stock anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6217859/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/3%7C15701400%7CWeights+and+strength+training%7C29022084/c_3/4%7Ccat_29022084%7CWeight+lifting+and+exercise+benches%7C14419306.htm

A guy near me, is selling this for 130 quid. I am badly in need of a bench, like the rest of the country, but at the same time, I don't want to get completely ripped off.
    Considering, the situation we are in, is he charging a fair price or shall I haggle him for a bit lower?

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6217859/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/3%7C15701400%7CWeights+and+strength+training%7C29022084/c_3/4%7Ccat_29022084%7CWeight+lifting+and+exercise+benches%7C14419306.htm

A guy near me, is selling this for 130 quid. I am badly in need of a bench, like the rest of the country, but at the same time, I don't want to get completely ripped off.
    Considering, the situation we are in, is he charging a fair price or shall I haggle him for a bit lower?

In this market it's worth the 130, surprised the still has it tbh

They have now jacked the price by €139 and that's only for a pre-order....

https://www.fitnessequipmentireland.ie/product/150kg-coloured-bumper-plates-7ft-olympic-bar/

They've also deleted/hidden the posts on their Facebook asking where their orders are, there were about twenty of them there yesterday.

And they've marked the business as closed on Google as they got rinsed with one stars over the last month and you can't review a closed business https://g.co/kgs/GGV7u8

Sorry for the rant, people need to remember businesses like this and their behaviour when this is a over

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Got a couple of handles to (a) get the volume in without hurting my wrists and (b) increase the range of motion of a push up. With bands and tempo, I reckon I'll have enough in the short term that I can get benching back up to where it was in relatively short time. It will be more about ingraining the skill/technique again once I get back.

Demand is still very high for a lot of equipment and by the time I'd get it, it wouldn't be worth it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

They have now jacked the price by €139 and that's only for a pre-order....

https://www.fitnessequipmentireland.ie/product/150kg-coloured-bumper-plates-7ft-olympic-bar/

They've also deleted/hidden the posts on their Facebook asking where their orders are, there were about twenty of them there yesterday.

And they've marked the business as closed on Google as they got rinsed with one stars over the last month and you can't review a closed business https://g.co/kgs/GGV7u8

Sorry for the rant, people need to remember businesses like this and their behaviour when this is a over

Are they actually posting out anything at all? I have ordered a set of dumbbells about 3-4 weeks ago at this stage and no sign. That company must have some amount of money taken in and very little product let out.

Advertisement