Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just One More Watch - Youtube reviewer

Options
  • 26-03-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭

His latest a "pagani design" €75 diver not for everyone, but a lot of watch for the money.

Seiko NH35 movement, saphire crystal, 100M

on sale here for the next day or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

That's Just One More Watch to you pal ;)

I do rather enjoy his videos.

It would be nice to see Pagani branch out from the homage designs. They do pretty well spec'd watches but I would like to see some original designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Latest AliExpress review from Justonemorewatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hF48E7rUL0

I was sent this link for free and don't have to return it. :)

I'm tempted by the Seagull 1963 with the sapphire crystal. It's a Chinese watch that doesn't pretend to be Italian, German or Swiss but still has a Swissy movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Have to say I love his channel really enthusiastic with realistic options on watches people (me) can afford.

dinorebel wrote: »
    Have to say I love his channel really enthusiastic with realistic options on watches people (me) can afford.
    I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt. Affiliate links galore, free review watches, sponsored reviews etc.

Most Youtubers are desperate for content ("what video can I make today?") and it makes them beholden to wheover can supply them with a steady stream of 'things' to unbox/review.

Not knocking him, it's the nature of the game. You see it with all types of products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

I would take everything he says with a pinch of salt. Affiliate links galore, free review watches, sponsored reviews etc.

Most Youtubers are desperate for content ("what video can I make today?") and it makes them beholden to wheover can supply them with a steady stream of 'things' to unbox/review.

Not knocking him, it's the nature of the game. You see it with all types of products.

In fairness he usually mentions if he has received a watch for free ( with a loud buzzer in the first few minutes ), also he does give the odd negative review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

celtic_oz wrote: »
    His latest a "pagani design" €75 diver not for everyone, but a lot of watch for the money.

Seiko NH35 movement, saphire crystal, 100M

on sale here for the next day or so.

My friend has a previous incarnation of the pagani design sub rip off so I've seen it in the flesh. To be fair, it's serious value for money. Decent movement, ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal etc. I don't know how they make them so cheap. His criticism of it is the bezel is misaligned , realistically the bracelet is poor quality, the screw down crown is very very stiff and grainy, there's no AR coating, the crystal is flat etc For the money though, they've manged to put a decent watch together.

These Chinese rip offs aren't my thing and I would have no interest in wearing one but if that doesn't bother you and you have very limited money to spend, you won't find much better quality wise at that very low price point. The pagani design watches are definitely a cut above the usual chinese crap if anyone has experience with Cadisen and the like.

redlead wrote: »

These Chinese rip offs aren't my thing and I would have no interest in wearing one but if that doesn't bother you and you have very limited money to spend, you won't find much better quality wise at that very low price point. The pagani design watches are definitely a cut above the usual chinese crap if anyone has experience with Cadisen and the like.

Go quartz and get a Casio Duro (Marlin) for about the same money. £76 + P&P on Amazon. A genuine original not some Chinese rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've a better idea, buy what you like yourself and don't worry about what other people might think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

Go quartz and get a Casio Duro (Marlin) for about the same money. £76 + P&P on Amazon. A genuine original not some Chinese rip-off.

That's a different type of watch though with it being a quartz. The OP may want an automatic or may really like rolex subs and want something that looks like it. For that money I'd personally opt for a vostok (I actually have one that never gets much wrist time to be honest), but hands down the pagani design is a better quality watch than a vostok. As the poster above alluded to, get what you like yourself. I was just pointing out that if he does get the Pagani, it's a well built watch for the money with a decent movement.

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    That's a different type of watch though with it being a quartz. The OP may want an automatic or may really like rolex subs and want something that looks like it. For that money I'd personally opt for a vostok (I actually have one that never gets much wrist time to be honest), but hands down the pagani design is a better quality watch than a vostok. As the poster above alluded to, get what you like yourself. I was just pointing out that if he does get the Pagani, it's a well built watch for the money with a decent movement.

It's a diver with 200m of water resistance as opposed to the PD's 100m which today hardly qualifies as a 'diver'. It has a quality bezel unlike the PD.

The OP can spend his money how he likes but it pays to consider alternative options which is what forums are for.

I mean, under €40 for this is pretty impressive: https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXN2KsW

Cienciano wrote: »
    I mean, under €40 for this is pretty impressive: https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXN2KsW

It sure is.

Although "Swimming Military Army" with only 50m WR, I wonder which army and if they just run through puddles. :)

They're just keywords so it'll turn up in a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

And the original speedmasters (which did end up being dunked in the ocean on re-entry from orbit) only had 3ATM I believe - nothing wrong with 30m wr if it's actually 30m - you can go swimming with that no problems. You can dive to normal depths with a 50m too - deepest I've been was 28m. 200m nowadays (and especially for most desk divers out there :D) means very little - just like Omega's HE valve ;)

If you have a 3atm watch that is actually tested to that then you shouldn't have much issues swimming with it - a 3atm watch may very well be on a leather strap though which wouldn't do well in water!

Thirdfox wrote: »
    And the original speedmasters (which did end up being dunked in the ocean on re-entry from orbit) only had 3ATM I believe - nothing wrong with 30m wr if it's actually 30m - you can go swimming with that no problems.

They didn't get dunked, at least not any time I saw it on TV. They were still inside the capsule when it parachuted into the ocean.

46ccd545df062f25618774675ad83223.jpg

Here's one photo anyway - I saw a different one previously but my google-fu isn't working 100% right now. Anyhow 3ATM is perfectly fine for dips (as long as the manufacturer isn't just putting a 3atm tag on it and not sealing the watch correctly) - you'll see plenty of others who swim/shower etc. with their speedmasters.

That capsule isn't the right way up. Could be a photo of a training exercise.

Not saying it never happened but normally they didn't even get their feet wet.

The latest video from the chirpy little Aussie-Scot. His review of the gold-tone Seiko 5 Model SNZH60 'Sports Watch'.
    I like the guy and he's very prolific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tzsFPe76Fo&t=604s

IMO a tacky piece of male jewellery.

The latest video from the chirpy little Aussie-Scot. His review of the gold-tone Seiko 5 Model SNZH60 'Sports Watch'.
    I like the guy and he's very prolific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tzsFPe76Fo&t=604s

IMO a tacky piece of male jewellery.

As I said I enjoy the channel but that watch..................My Eyes,My Eyes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Here's one photo anyway - I saw a different one previously but my google-fu isn't working 100% right now.
    That's a Gemini mission splashdown by the look of it. That's how the righted themselves automatically. The hatches are still closed so the guys and their Speedies are still inside. The guy in the water is likely another Navy diver who jumped in already.

The only 60's era mission I can think of where anyone left the capsule and jumped into the water was Gus Grissom's Mercury splashdown. I'm not sure he was even wearing a Speedie at that stage of the game? It certainly wasn't yet the official flight watch anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's a Gemini mission splashdown by the look of it. That's how the righted themselves automatically. The hatches are still closed so the guys and their Speedies are still inside. The guy in the water is likely another Navy diver who jumped in already.

The only 60's era mission I can think of where anyone left the capsule and jumped into the water was Gus Grissom's Mercury splashdown. I'm not sure he was even wearing a Speedie at that stage of the game? It certainly wasn't yet the official flight watch anyway.

Right you are - the previous photo I saw was on WUS some time ago so it could well have been "fake news" :D

Did get it confirmed:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster

that the first official flight the Speedmaster took once flight approved was Gemini 3 - here's a video of the recovery and certainly the astronauts weren't "dunked" - perhaps splashed a little :P
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CnNUra7I1M

At 1:30:00ish I don't know if that's the speedmaster on the wrist as the astronaut is winched up or part of the winch contraption.

At 1:30:00ish I don't know if that's the speedmaster on the wrist as the astronaut is winched up or part of the winch contraption.

It's a watch and presumably the Speedmaster but he's wearing the watch on the inside of his wrist. This should be de rigueur for all Speedo owners from now on. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnphillips

I'm tempted by the Seagull 1963 with the sapphire crystal. It's a Chinese watch that doesn't pretend to be Italian, German or Swiss but still has a Swissy movement.

I've ordered that a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
    I like JOMW - he's consistent enough in reviewing in that he usually includes criticisms and he's open about when he's been provided with a free watch. Better than a lot.

I've ordered that a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
    I like JOMW - he's consistent enough in reviewing in that he usually includes criticisms and he's open about when he's been provided with a free watch. Better than a lot.

I was ready to 'pull the trigger' on it myself but then decided to take a year's break from watch buying. Hope you post photos and give your impressions of it once it arrives as I could probably be in the market for one this time next year.

Jody's latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv31ziA4ftI

A review of the new Invicta 1953, a Rolex homage that actually looks understated and quite good IMO.

He gets this spot on I love the watch but will change the strap.

When he has it alongside the 2 seikos, I genuinely prefer the Orient. And I love seikos

Citizen NY2300 was great too at that price point - discontinued now but both it and the NY0040 were fantastic tool dive watches.

• Advertisement

Interesting video on the Seagull 1963 from Just One More Watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFLqBdcbhkc

Advertisement