Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psychology Degree

• 25-02-2020 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi - I’m interested in going back to college to do a psychology degree. I’m wondering if there’s a recommended college to go to as many offer psychology degrees.

Any advice is appreciated around this.

I currently have a Hons degree in Social Care - would this give me an advantage in applying for a degree in psychology; maybe get the degree faster?

I’m near 40 yrs old so I would be applying as a mature student as well. I would be hoping to progress into clinical psychology some day (dreams can come true).

I am looking at colleges around Dublin but please advise wherever you feel best.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

What college/university courses are accessible to you? Ur honours degree will be helpful but psychology is in high demand so you may need to do interviews etc.
    Regarding accessing clinical psychology it is a long and challenging road. A masters degree would be necessary in addition to at least a year experience as an assistant..and that might only get you an interview.. some people apply for clinical courses year after year.. it can be very expensive. But if your committed and become successful it is an interesting line of work..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pursuit

Piriz wrote: »
    What college/university courses are accessible to you? Ur honours degree will be helpful but psychology is in high demand so you may need to do interviews etc.
    Regarding accessing clinical psychology it is a long and challenging road. A masters degree would be necessary in addition to at least a year experience as an assistant..and that might only get you an interview.. some people apply for clinical courses year after year.. it can be very expensive. But if your committed and become successful it is an interesting line of work..

I thought I just had to apply as a mature student. I thinking of applying to DCU, UCD, Maynooth - I never realised I’d need an interview. Please God I’m not too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Pursuit wrote: »
    I thought I just had to apply as a mature student. I thinking of applying to DCU, UCD, Maynooth - I never realised I’d need an interview. Please God I’m not too late?

You’re not too late at all. You’re well placed to apply for this, which would substantially reduce the time it’d take to get where you want to go:

https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/!W_HU_MENU.P_PUBLISH?p_tag=PROG&MAJR=W014

That’ll give you Level 8 qualification in psychology. As a post-grad course, it’d also feel like ‘moving forward’, rather than ‘starting all over again’. After that there are several routes to qualify as a clinical psychologist.

Thank you so much Endacl - I got such a fright there i went ahead an emailed UCD, DCU, Trinity even.

To press you further - what kind of routes to clinical psychology would I have?

I appreciate the link and acknowledgment of ‘moving forward’ rather than ‘starting’ again. I need to move forward and own where I’m at.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Would want to get your skates on the mature closing date is the 1st march.
    Not a lot of time to apply and get your certs and references in.
    You would want to scamper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Would want to get your skates on the mature closing date is the 1st march.
    Not a lot of time to apply and get your certs and references in.
    You would want to scamper

The deadline to apply for courses through the CAO for mature students to start September 2020 was actually the 1st of February. It's usually February I beielve.
    Being mature is the same deadline as restricted entry becuase of interviews, entrance exams, portfolios etc.

After that, some institutions may have direct entry options for some courses. You'd need to check their websites or contact them. However mature student entry for a level 8 degee in psychology in a university is among the most competitive of courses for matutre students. So you'll proabably have to wait until next year if that is you're prefered option.

DeeAvery wrote: »
    The deadline to apply for courses through the CAO for mature students to start September 2020 was actually the 1st of February. It's usually February I beielve.
    Being mature is the same deadline as restricted entry becuase of interviews, entrance exams, portfolios etc.

After that, some institutions may have direct entry options for some courses. You'd need to check their websites or contact them. However mature student entry for a level 8 degee in psychology in a university is among the most competitive of courses for matutre students. So you'll proabably have to wait until next year if that is you're prefered option.

Thanks SkooterBlue and DeeAvery - one college got back to me and said March 6th is closing date. Please God I’ll be applicable - as usual everything last minute.

Someone suggested Open University to get degree also. The Higher Diplomat from UCD sounds great as it would get me the degree in 2 years. Hopefully my qualification in social care and experience will help.

Trinity never emailed back - why would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ciara_pass124

Thanks SkooterBlue and DeeAvery - one college got back to me and said March 6th is closing date. Please God I’ll be applicable - as usual everything last minute.

Someone suggested Open University to get degree also. The Higher Diplomat from UCD sounds great as it would get me the degree in 2 years. Hopefully my qualification in social care and experience will help.

Trinity never emailed back - why would they?

Trinity have their own application system that closed Feb 1st. They won’t consider anyone outside of this unfortunately.

DeeAvery wrote: »

It is but the last minute for Certified copies I meant is 1st of March. If you were really serious about going back you would know this stuff because you would have met lecturers on the open days and be in conversation with the course director by this time. I met one and he asked me did I want to sit in on his course on a friday for two hours. There is a lot of stuff that passes in between a handshake and coffee that doesnt happen in an email.

I have no idea why there is so much competition for Psychology but there is. Better have have plans B, C and D lined up too. Next year is going to be crazy once the recession starts. You would be better off in this year than next.

It is but the last minute for Certified copies I meant is 1st of March. If you were really serious about going back you would know this stuff because you would have met lecturers on the open days and be in conversation with the course director by this time. I met one and he asked me did I want to sit in on his course on a friday for two hours. There is a lot of stuff that passes in between a handshake and coffee that doesnt happen in an email.

I have no idea why there is so much competition for Psychology but there is. Better have have plans B, C and D lined up too. Next year is going to be crazy once the recession starts. You would be better off in this year than next.

Yeah I’m pretty basic about this stuff - I haven’t a clue other than apply through an application process. I did attend DBS open evening as I was seriously considering psychotherapy but that was a 4 year course and that didn’t seem right to be doing another 4 years considering my degree in social care. I only just gave up on that notion a few months ago and then due to personal stuff I’ve been totally off track. Seeing UCD psychology hdip sounds so good cause it would mean I’d be 40 going for a masters - but I don’t really see how I’d even be considered over kids just out of college and applying as mature students.

I didn’t even think other colleges would have their own application system.

• Advertisement

Well UCD got back - unfortunately I don’t have the 2.1 in my honours degree to apply for the higher diploma. Getting it done in 2 years would have been nice.

Yeah I’m pretty basic about this stuff - I haven’t a clue other than apply through an application process. I did attend DBS open evening as I was seriously considering psychotherapy but that was a 4 year course and that didn’t seem right to be doing another 4 years considering my degree in social care. I only just gave up on that notion a few months ago and then due to personal stuff I’ve been totally off track. Seeing UCD psychology hdip sounds so good cause it would mean I’d be 40 going for a masters - but I don’t really see how I’d even be considered over kids just out of college and applying as mature students.

I didn’t even think other colleges would have their own application system.

Get your application ready for next year.
    Go to the open days and the talks by the course co-ordinators.
    Press the flesh say thanks and open conversations with emails.
    They are much more likely to give a course to someone they know rather than someone who pops up and thinks they will be on the course in september.
    Have all your papers in order.
    Know what they are looking for and mould your CV/Application to fit that image.
    Be ready for all their questions.

Get your application ready for next year.
    Go to the open days and the talks by the course co-ordinators.
    Press the flesh say thanks and open conversations with emails.
    They are much more likely to give a course to someone they know rather than someone who pops up and thinks they will be on the course in september.
    Have all your papers in order.
    Know what they are looking for and mould your CV/Application to fit that image.
    Be ready for all their questions.

Thanks SkooterBlue - yeah I think that’s what I’ll have to do. It’s bittersweet as I wanted things to be rolling now but I guess applying myself properly is a first part of that. My aim is/was to become a clinical psychologist by time I’m 50. A mighty feat now considering I’ll be near 40 (37 now) starting.

Advertisement