Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrade your VR?

• 27-11-2019 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭

If you currently have a VR headset, is there really any point upgrading it to something like a Valve Index?

Currently have a HTC Vive, I might buy the controllers as they seem pretty cool and I'm not a fan of the massive HTC wands.

But would you upgrade from a Vive to an Index or not that much of a difference?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

I had the Gear VR and Upgraded to the Rift, After a few months I sold that. With 4 Kids in the house and limited space it was a pain setting up sensors and putting them away every time I used it. I upgraded (Or Downgraded) to the Quest lately. Its much better. No setting up or arsing about with sensors and I can watch VR movies in bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah I'm definitely tempted to change from sensors to the Quests internal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Loaned my brother my Rift CV1 a couple of months ago. Bought him a Rift S and am building him a VRPC as a house warming, christmas and early wedding present rolled into one. Black Friday saved me a couple of hundred all in.

I got myself my CV1 back and also ordered a HP Reverb for Sim and Virtual Cinema usage. 2160x2160 pixels per eye baby!! Saved €100 off the UK price thanks to HP's BF/CM sale and a whopping €450 off the ridiculous Irish HP distributors price of €970.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Let us know what it's like to use!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

If you currently have a VR headset, is there really any point upgrading it to something like a Valve Index?

Currently have a HTC Vive, I might buy the controllers as they seem pretty cool and I'm not a fan of the massive HTC wands.

But would you upgrade from a Vive to an Index or not that much of a difference?

Depends what you value, I mostly care about ergonomics. The Index is the most comfortable headset.

You can re-use your Vive lighthouse trackers, they are compatible with Index.

I own the Index + Index controllers + Vive lightouse (because it's cheaper than the original).

The last headset I owned was the DK2, I intentionally ignored the 1st gen consumer headsets knowing they will be quickly phased out and weigh a ton.

Oculus sucks ever since they got bought out by Facebook.

• Advertisement
Advertisement