Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Open 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Big test for Andreescu now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any deliberate shout outs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

mzungu wrote: »
    Big test for Andreescu now.

I'm not even watching it and I know she has bottled it now.

(I stopped watching Tennis)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This is more like it from Serena .
    Waited until she was 5-1 down to start playing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

5-5. Andreescu needs to hold serve here or she will surely loose the set. At that stage you could not see anything other than het getting a bad hammering in the third set.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Serena has to go down as one of the flakiest and most inconsistent tennis greats..

Well no ,up until 2015 she had lost 4 finals out of 25 and 2 of those were against her sister.
    The only other players to beat her in a Grand Slam final ,Sharapova and Stosur.

Its since 2016 ,when she was aged 33 that the wheels have come off.
    She has lost 5 out of 7 finals , 4 in straight sets .
    2 to Kerber, one to Osaka ,one to Halep and one to Muguruza.

To be fair to Williams, to still be coasting into GS finals at 38 is a great achievement in itself.

Two match points for Andreescu.

Andreescu wins.

I was full sure she was going to falter in a big way after surrendering that 5-1 lead. But fair play to her, she kept going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Andreescu wins.

I stand corrected. Well done. Hate bottlers in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

No excuses this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

6-3,7-5.Andresscu wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,572 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was a sort of fight back, and then it ended poorly. She seemed to go for aces with every serve, first and second. Must have been tired and broken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So Williams loses another Grand Slam final, in straight sets also. You would have to wonder if she will ever win another one or indeed how much longer she will continue playing. The clock is ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Serena should retire,she is 38 years old and has had a wonderful career.

So Williams lose another Grand Slam final in straight sets also. You would have to wonder if she will ever win another one or indeed how much longer she will continue playing. T

Its not only that she has lost 6 out of 8 finals its the players that she has lost to and the manner in which she has lost.
    Kerber is the only one I'd rate ,the rest ,Osaka,Muguruza,Halep and now Andresscu ,Williams would destroy them in her prime .

Its time to call it a day when you are losing to players that you know youd flog if you were a few years younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,572 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It pays 2m just to get to a Slam final, and she does that with ease, winning it is the problem.
    But it's a great way to hog the finals, and win some money.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

walshb wrote: »
    Serena has to go down as one of the flakiest and most inconsistent tennis greats..

Um, no. Her grand slam record final record has always been terrific. Only post pregnancy, and in her late 30's, did she start to falter.

Anyway, happy to see her lose, but I think after this I'm done punishing her, I'm ready for her to start winning again next year. I do want her to beat Court's 'record'.

Its not only that she has lost 6 out of 8 finals its the players that she has lost to and the manner in which she has lost.
    Kerber is the only one I'd rate ,the rest ,Osaka,Muguruza,Halep and now Andresscu ,Williams would destroy them in her prime .

Its time to call it a day when you are losing to players that you know youd flog if you were a few years younger.

I would disagree. It would be time to call it a day when you get beaten by a qualifier in the 2nd round. But when you can still get to the final of a GS without breaking sweat, then it makes sense to hang in there and keep persevering. There will be other chances, possibly quite a lot of them over the next few seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I think if she had won this match she would retire this year. The fact that she is still just short of the all time record might motivate her to continue for another year or two. A case of wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Um, no. Her grand slam record final record has always been terrific, only post pregnancy, and in her late 30's, did she start to falter.

Anyway, happy to see her lose, but I think after this I'm done punishing her, I'm ready for her to start winning again next year. I do want her to beat Court's 'record'.

She is getting to the finals...then plays like she’s a novice..

That’s more a flake than any other reason..

I would disagree. It would be time to call it a day when you get beaten to a qualifier in the 2nd round. But when you can still get to the final of a GS without breaking sweat, then it makes sense to hang in there and keep persevering. There will be other chances, possibly quite a lot of other chances over the next few seasons.

I suppose you are right .
    Normally a player retires when the physical demands are too much on an ageing body but in Williams case its the mental side that has let her down.

I dont think its a physical thing ,well not today anyway (it was at Wimbledon) ,its simply nerves.

44% of first serves in
    30% of points won on second serve
    33 unforced errors

They are club player stats .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Delighted for Bianca Andreescu, two finals in a row that Serena loses to a Romanian, even if Bianca is Canadian.

wasn't even in the top 100 at the start of the year....

I suppose you are right .
    Normally a player retires when the physical demands are too much on an ageing body but in Williams case its the mental side that has let her down.

I dont think its a physical thing ,well not today anyway (it was at Wimbledon) ,its simply nerves.

44% of first serves in
    30% of points won on second serve
    33 unforced errors

They are club player stats .
    Those stats pretty bad alright.

How does she go about fixing the psychological side of her game? I presume she would have a sports psychotherapist on her staff. Maybe she needs to start mixing in more tournaments throughout the year and get back to winning those before she takes that step further and wins another slam.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

RobertKK wrote: »
    Delighted for Bianca Andreescu, two finals in a row that Serena loses to a Romanian, even if Bianca is Canadian.

So she's lost her last two finals to a Romanian and a Canadian then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So she's lost her last two finals to a Romanian and a Canadian then :P

lol Serena and the curse of opponents with Romanian genetics :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Those stats pretty bad alright.

How does she go about fixing the psychological side of her game? I presume she would have a sports psychotherapist on her staff. Maybe she needs to start mixing in more tournaments throughout the year and get back to winning those before she takes that step further and wins another slam.

Play more events. She needs to get in the habit of lifting trophies again.

The good news for her is the tour is still soft and she is getting to grand slam finals so she obviously can still play. She gave Svitolina a beating the other night an elite player so talk of her been ****e is silly.

She still has a respectable chance of winning any of three slams next year,,,just a case of hoe she approaches them and her body holding up.

Also she will be hoping that none of the girls discover consistency,,,Osaka, Halep, Kerber all have won Slams over last few years and then gone on horror runs. Lets see if Andreescu can change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Play more events. She needs to get in the habit of lifting trophies again.

The good news for her is the tour is still soft and she is getting to grand slam finals so she obviously can still play. She gave Svitolina a beating the other night an elite player so talk of her been ****e is silly.

She still has a respectable chance of winning any of three slams next year,,,just a case of hoe she approaches them and her body holding up.

Also she will be hoping that none of the girls discover consistency,,,Osaka, Halep, Kerber all have won Slams over last few years and then gone on horror runs. Lets see if Andreescu can change that.

Osaka backed it up to be fair, before beginning her slump.

Advertisement