Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Open 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A couple of tough matches might make Sacha focus. Nadal gets a walkover. Very strange from Fed, faster courts, and he had a long to to practice on them. Good when he gets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Haven't watched any of it yet. Any way I can get Amazon Prime for free? I used up a free trial last year. Register on another email address or is if linked to a device?

How much does it cost just to get it for the tennis?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Haven't watched any of it yet. Any way I can get Amazon Prime for free? I used up a free trial last year. Register on another email address or is if linked to a device?

How much does it cost just to get it for the tennis?

Have used the Amazon Prime 30-day free trial plenty of times with different email addresses. But also used different debit cards each time (Revolut, N26, etc) so I'm not sure if using the same card will do. Give it a go. I don't think there's a way to only subscribe to the tennis streams.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fed was in fine form against Dan Evans. Big improvement on his last match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

mzungu wrote: »
    Fed was in fine form against Dan Evans. Big improvement on his last match.

Evans the perfect opponent for him and probably tired after Yesterday.

Big night for Medvedev tonight,,looked fooked Yesterday if he is is still in that condition he wont get far. Those 3 finals in a row coming back to haunt him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Evans the perfect opponent for him and probably tired after Yesterday.

Big night for Medvedev tonight,,looked fooked Yesterday if he is is still in that condition he wont get far. Those 3 finals in a row coming back to haunt him.

He played a great match and dug deep when he needed to. Kept his bottle in the fourth set tie-break. Both he and Lopez played very well and the crowd were against him after he was caught on camera giving the middle finger to the umpire. It was a petulant act and he was fined $9,000 but I doubt he cares too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Jesus, Stan demolishes Novak with Novak quitting (an old habit) early in the third to a chorus of boos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Djokovic booed off the court, Medvedev booed throughout his match earlier. Classy crowd in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

no surprises there with the new york crowd, always boozed up and treating the venue like a sports bar.

Medvedev was loving it though. As much as I want to see Federer win, I'd love to see Medvedev win it just so he could tell the crowd to go fúck themselves in his victory speech.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Whatever about Nole, but Medvedev was acting the pr#ck. what he did to the ball kid was out of order too. He seems to be giving the finger to the crowd, not the umpire, as you can see the umpires chair is on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

whiterebel wrote: »
    Whatever about Nole, but Medvedev was acting the pr#ck. what he did to the ball kid was out of order too. He seems to be giving the finger to the crowd, not the umpire, as you can see the umpires chair is on the other side.

Both were acting up. Nole would have kept going had he been in with a shot. No doubt he was hurt going in but he could have continued. He just got bored of the match.

Medvedev just seemed to go for the boos. The crowd didn't seem to be massively against him before he acted up.

Have to say I absolutely love the fact that Wawrinka continues to take down Djokovic. Since 2013 Wawrinka is 4-3 in Grand Slam matches. The 3 he has lost have all been close 5 set matches, while all but 1 of his wins have been comprehensive. Wawrinka is a fascinating player. Has a terrible record against Federer, but a top form Novak has continued to struggle against him in the big matches. You could argue that when Wawrinka is on top form he's unplayable.

Which of the chumps on Nadal's side of the draw do people think have the best chance of beating him? Need to figure out who to shout for in these matches today.

None of them, he's practically in the final already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Don't think tonight is a gimme. Cilic with a head of steam in New York is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have to say I absolutely love the fact that Wawrinka continues to take down Djokovic. Since 2013 Wawrinka is 4-3 in Grand Slam matches. The 3 he has lost have all been close 5 set matches, while all but 1 of his wins have been comprehensive. Wawrinka is a fascinating player. Has a terrible record against Federer, but a top form Novak has continued to struggle against him in the big matches. You could argue that when Wawrinka is on top form he's unplayable.

Fed has beaten all versions of Stan through the years.

I always cheer for Stan, and his FO final win in 2015 v Nole is in my top 5 favorite ever slam matches...

I think it's his dull and dead power to the corners that beats Nole. He can move Nole around a little more than Fed can/could.

I still think Nole has a H2H advantage, though....

Medvedev is playing well but he needs to quit acting like a brat. Nobody wants another Kyrgios.

walshb wrote: »
    Fed has beaten all versions of Stan through the years.

I always cheer for Stan, and his FO final win in 2015 v Nole is in my top 5 favorite ever slam matches...

I think it's his dull and dead power to the corners that beats Nole. He can move Nole around a little more than Fed can/could.

I still think Nole has a H2H advantage, though....

He does have a huge H2H advantage but Stan only shows up for Slams. In the slams its Stan who has had the edge.

Not shocked that Djokovic is out. He certainly was not playing as well as he did last year.

• Advertisement

Osaka gone!

Zverev is being Zverev again. I'm giving up on him at this stage.

Jaysus, Diego not giving Cilic any chance judging by that post match interview.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

mzungu wrote: »
    Medvedev is playing well but he needs to quit acting like a brat. Nobody wants another Kyrgios.

Yeah, it was OK to give it to the crowd once, but to do it in the next match too just reeks of looking for trouble.

Glad to see Schwartzman progress, he may be one of my favourite ATP players. Plays tennis as it should be played.

Sad to see Osaka bow out, very unlucky to meet Bencic in the 4th round, although once again her lack of a plan B was exposed. Hoping Bencic or Andreescu make the final from the top half now.

Rusedski is hard to listen to.

He commentates like a fan. Full of non stop praise for Nadal. Everything is amazing, everything is the best ever. He's like Butch Harmon with the golf. It's like these guys are trying to promote the sport rather than commentate on the actual match. It's nauseating.

We know Nadal is one of the greatest ever. We don't need to keep hearing about it. Same re Roger and Novak. Just commentate on the tennis please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Rusedski is hard to listen to.

He commentates like a fan. Full of non stop praise for Nadal. Everything is amazing, everything is the best ever. He's like Butch Harmon with the golf. It's like these guys are trying to promote the sport rather than commentate on the actual match. It's nauseating.

We know Nadal is one of the greatest ever. We don't need to keep hearing about it. Same re Roger and Novak. Just commentate on the tennis please.

You think Rusedski is bad you should listen to one of the commentators on ESPN. He would put you to sleep.

I am looking forward to Wawrinka/Medvedev this evening, could be a cracker. Haven't really been too excited about this US Open it seems very bland. Looks like Nadal will cruise into the final and I think Wawrinka will join him. He seems to have hit a good vein of form now.

I really don't want Nadal to win this slam!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

walshb wrote: »
    I really don't want Nadal to win this slam!

Now that Djokovic is out, I think Hector is right about this.
    No matter how much he doesn't want to be :)

josip wrote: »
    Now that Djokovic is out, I think Hector is right about this.
    No matter how much he doesn't want to be :)

Hector plays the long game with Nadal. Gets it right eventually...

• Advertisement

What makes people so sure Nadal will beat Federer? Roger has won the last 6 meetings between the two away from clay. 14 sets to 4 during those 6 matches.

Cilic blew Rafa off the court in the second set. He couldn't sustain it, but a better player can.

Advertisement