Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meta Quest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Thargor wrote: »

Dayam... I guess my November delivery of the Elite with battery is gonna be extended until 2021 while they do a recall!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Glebee wrote: »
    With the Quest can you play co op with some one else who also has quest and is there chat? Sorry about silly question, new to this VR stuff.

Yep you can create a party like on ps4 and can hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Anyone having trouble casting? i keep getting an error message

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wiggedmite

Irishder wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble casting? i keep getting an error message

What's the error message and where is it appearing? You can cast from the Oculus app or direct from the device itself. I've had no issues casting to 1st gen Chromecast from both, though quality of the image is nowhere near as clear as the device itself.

Seems there is a recall on the "Elite" and "Elite with battery" straps

https://www.oculus.com/accessories/quest-2-elite-strap-battery-case/

Showing not available.. same on Amazon too.

My order with Oculus is still open though... will probably cancel it until the reviews come in for the new strap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I assume our orders will be cancelled by Oculus or they just won't ship until the issue is sorted.

wes wrote: »
    I assume our orders will be cancelled by Oculus or they just won't ship until the issue is sorted.

My order was still open so I'd say they'll remain as such until the new batch is manufactured.

But even still I think perhaps wise to cancel pre-order just until people have verified the issue has been fixed.

There is always this though...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001639449014.html

Was just about to say the same. That Chinese halo strap I ordered will probably outlast the elite strap!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

mrcheez wrote: »
    My order was still open so I'd say they'll remain as such until the new batch is manufactured.

But even still I think perhaps wise to cancel pre-order just until people have verified the issue has been fixed.

There is always this though...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001639449014.html

Not too bad looking thanks, Ill give the stock strap a go first though.

Facebook seems to have let someone use my email address to sign up for an account. Just got an email about verifying identity to recover an account on my email. I signed up with my mobile number for my current account.

So I reset the password via my email and someone managed to create an account using my email address somehow. WTF? I taught email addresses needed to be verified. What are facebook playing at. Trying to get into contact with facebook support seems impossible. I am tempted to just delete this other account using my email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I had an old dev-kit, used it for maybe 20 hours (primarily Elite Dangerous), then a CV1 which got about half that. I always liked VR but I think the tethering and needing to set up sensors, manage multiple cables etc. in a room that doesn't allow for those to remain in place for long just kept putting me off picking them up again. I got the Quest 2 last week and it is finally what I wanted VR to be; high fidelity, responsive AND hassle free, just pick up and play when I want to with ease. I've had no trouble with my glasses on either, even without the extra guard, the previous versions always pinched them in place.
    So far I've played a little Robo-Recall and HL:Alyx, but mostly have used it to restart exercising with Beat Saber to warm up and then some FitXr. It's a fantastic piece of kit. Like most I'm not crazy about the default strap, it's workable but not great, ditto for the audio (a headset that pushes wireless access not supporting bluetooth phones is mind boggling, aptX Low-latency easily solves the sync issues). I've ordered a Vive deluxe audio headstrap to build a frankenquest so that should solve both issues. Next up is a replacement for the facial interface, that thing is just a sweat sponge.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    I've ordered a Vive deluxe audio headstrap to build a frankenquest so that should solve both issues.

Where do you order these from? They seem to be out of stock on Amazon whenever I look, unless I'm looking for the wrong thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Where do you order these from? They seem to be out of stock on Amazon whenever I look, unless I'm looking for the wrong thing.

The strap I ordered direct from VIVE, https://www.vive.com/eu/accessory/vive-deluxe-audio-strap/ . As you said it is out of stock on Amazon and other 3rd parties are scalping on the prices, direct was the cheapest. They shipped it same day. Total including shipping was 143.
    I haven't ordered an adapter kit yet, there are some 3d printed versions out there but I'll just use some velcro for the moment until there are well reviewed versions.

Facebook seems to have let someone use my email address to sign up for an account. Just got an email about verifying identity to recover an account on my email. I signed up with my mobile number for my current account.

So I reset the password via my email and someone managed to create an account using my email address somehow. WTF? I taught email addresses needed to be verified. What are facebook playing at. Trying to get into contact with facebook support seems impossible. I am tempted to just delete this other account using my email.

Looks like I got this sorted out now. So hopefully get to try headset today.

Still no idea how someone used my email to setup another account. Really strange.

Looks like I got this sorted out now. So hopefully get to try headset today.

Still no idea how someone used my email to setup another account. Really strange.

You haven't been able to use the headset up until now??

You haven't been able to use the headset up until now??

Nope, had to get the facebook account thing sorted. What happened with me, was pretty strange, so it took a while to sort. Can't even blame facebook on that one even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone going for a new Quest? Where is the best place to head for? Online store or direct to Oculus store?

What scary games y'all gonna be playing this weekend?

I'm going to stick on Narcosis on my PCVR.. bought about 3 years ago and never got around to trying... supposed to be great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

What scary games y'all gonna be playing this weekend?

I'm going to stick on Narcosis on my PCVR.. bought about 3 years ago and never got around to trying... supposed to be great though.

Good question. Any good free ones, do you know? Maybe on Sidequest?

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Good question. Any good free ones, do you know? Maybe on Sidequest?

have you got a VR-capable PC to connect to or just Quest?

• Advertisement

have you got a VR-capable PC to connect to or just Quest?

No, unfortunately not. Just Quest.

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    No, unfortunately not. Just Quest.

Hmm not much in way of freebies on Quest, but I recommend buying Dreadhalls

Hmm not much in way of freebies on Quest, but I recommend buying Dreadhalls

Thanks, was I initially going to chicken out of it. But curiosity got the better of me.

I'll wait till tomorrow to play it though. Not because of fear, but my Quest needs charging. I swear.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres a question. My brother wants to buy a rift and Im trying to point him towards a quest or quest 2. He wants to use it for steam games using a gaming chair setup with steering wheel / pedals for racing type games.
    He has a decent gaming pc that I built for him recently. Could he use the quest for pcvr gaming? Are the controls attached to the pc or quest?

Or is he just better off with the rift?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone tried star wars squadrons through virtual desktop/link on the quest 2?

I've tried both virtual desktop and link now and the game looks terrible. The contrast is cranked up so high you can't see any details in light or dark areas in the game/menus. Like for example the side of an imperial star destroyer facing the sun is just while with no detail.

There's no way to adjust colour settings on the headset that i can see or in the game, annoyingly if I faff about minimizing the game in virtual desktop it occasionally looks perfect but with no sound, as soon as I get the sound working the picture goes to **** again. Any ideas?

I don't know is the issue the headset, the game or the fact I got the epic store version (had a voucher to use).

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Issue was HDR was switched on in the video settings in game. Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Heres a question. My brother wants to buy a rift and Im trying to point him towards a quest or quest 2. He wants to use it for steam games using a gaming chair setup with steering wheel / pedals for racing type games.
    He has a decent gaming pc that I built for him recently. Could he use the quest for pcvr gaming? Are the controls attached to the pc or quest?

Or is he just better off with the rift?

Wait for the new reverb if he's just wanting to do sim racing only. I do a lot of it, rift is much more comfortable for several hours of play than either quest. It's still a great experience but I think I'd go with a different headset today, e.g. the new reverb.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone tried star wars squadrons through virtual desktop/link on the quest 2?

I've tried both virtual desktop and link now and the game looks terrible. The contrast is cranked up so high you can't see any details in light or dark areas in the game/menus. Like for example the side of an imperial star destroyer facing the sun is just while with no detail.

There's no way to adjust colour settings on the headset that i can see or in the game, annoyingly if I faff about minimizing the game in virtual desktop it occasionally looks perfect but with no sound, as soon as I get the sound working the picture goes to **** again. Any ideas?

I don't know is the issue the headset, the game or the fact I got the epic store version (had a voucher to use).

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Issue was HDR was switched on in the video settings in game. Go figure!

Contrast seemed fine for me on link but I refunded because I couldn't get it running smoothly.

Just a heads up that you may have a 10 euro off voucher on the epic games store that expires tomorrow at 8am.

Star wars squadrons is down to €30 atm and with the voucher I bagged it for €20.

Doge wrote: »
    Just a heads up that you may have a 10 euro off voucher on the epic games store that expires tomorrow at 8am.

Star wars squadrons is down to €30 atm and with the voucher I bagged it for €20.

Curious if that works with Virtual Desktop as usually Epic games don't run well with it :/

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Curious if that works with Virtual Desktop as usually Epic games don't run well with it :/

It does. Took me a good bit of faffing. You need to kill the three oculus processes in task manager then launch the game exe manually by right clicking the virtual desktop icon in the system tray. Then you can toggle on VR from the in game menu and it will use SteamVR.

Advertisement