Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Holohan Podcast

• 29-01-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Just found this podcast last week, he's had some cracking guest on already, this is the latest one, Conors wrestling coach seems like a sound bloke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBVFHNJA3oA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I really enjoy this and have little to no interest in MMA. He has a wide spectrum of guests and some episodes have zero to do with MMA - even when they do they are still engaging.

I think he is getting a message out to a subset of society that doesn't turn to conventional media for their latest news and views. I'd prefer if he were a bit more impartial with his views instead of the tired Varadkar is robbing a living / Everything about the Govt. is bad stuff that undermines his overall outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

I agree man, I just found it the other day and he has some really interesting guests on, not afraid to talk about real issues - great podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

8 posts into your boards stint and you plug the Paddy Holohan podcast in two different threads and try to stick up for John Kavanagh a bit in the McGregor thread...how you keeping Paddy mate? ;) I enjoy your podcast for what it's worth and hope you get some sponsors on it soon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MMAbhoy

dulux99 wrote: »
    8 posts into your boards stint and you plug the Paddy Holohan podcast in two different threads and try to stick up for John Kavanagh a bit in the McGregor thread...how you keeping Paddy mate? ;) I enjoy your podcast for what it's worth and hope you get some sponsors on it soon! :D

I lost my old boards login so had to start a new account, I have 100s of post un podcast related on my other account :-) I just think this is a great podcast thats all man ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

MMAbhoy wrote: »
    I lost my old boards login so had to start a new account, I have 100s of post un podcast related on my other account :-) I just think this is a great podcast thats all man ;-)

I'm only slagging man don't worry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

hankless wrote: »
    I'd prefer if he were a bit more impartial with his views instead of the tired Varadkar is robbing a living / Everything about the Govt. is bad stuff that undermines his overall outlook.

Yeah I listened to this to, and blaming Leo for everything gets very tiresome. It's too simplistic. I think he really needs to up his education on politics if he is gonna keep commenting. He had to confirm with a guest that Israel is a Jewish state, and asked another to tell him whether he was on the left or on the right. It's not good enough to have a "lad down the pub" knowledge if you are putting out a podcast.

But the reason I listened to the podcast this week was because I heard Philip Boucher Hayes refer to his "racist" remarks and he commended Sinn Fein for taking immediate and definitive action against him. If you listen to that podcast with Terry McMahon, the last thing you would come away with thinking is that Holohan is racist. And his remarks about "some women being scum as well" was as a counter point to the guest saying that "some men are scum".

I think he's got a real bad deal here. His remarks were completely taken out of context - I think the Shinners just wanted to get rid of him cos he's loose tongued.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I stopped listening soon after my original post. I thought that Paddy had a great chance to empower young men with a message of positivity and confidence, and he did, but he just couldn't move on from consistently bemoaning politicians and people in power...which is odd, considering he then went on to become an elected official himself. Spreading further unfounded and misinformed bullcrap is not something I can endorse, or listen to.

The final straw for me was when he said, i can't remember the episode, that people with depression or mental health issues "don't need medication to get better". I can understand what he meant, but if you're going to throw out stuff like that, you better back it up with peer-led studies or data, or at the very least some sort of disclaimer stating it is an opinion and that he is not qualified to offer such advice. He didn't. He said it like people should just put a smile on their faces and get on with it. That is a moronic lad down the pub opinion.

I wasn't surprised to see him hit the headlines a few weeks ago. The guy seems to think that being a martial artist gives him the platform to voice and push his opinion on current affairs. The whole thing has gone to his head and he has bit off way more than he can chew. If I were him I would stick to talking about things I know, which seems like that is predominantly MMA, fitness and training. Because he has done or said nothing to have a valued opinion on anything else. You are not Joe Rogan, Paddy. Very very far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

I think Paddy got a bit too fond of the sound of his own voice. I did enjoy his podcasts at a time, but when I dipped into a few lately he'd lost the run of himself altogether. Probably too many people around kissing his ass methinks. Gone to his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I like Paddy but jaysis does her overplay the council estate card.

I grew up in a council estate but I dont shoehorn it in to conversation all the time, nor do I see it as some sort of excuse for being **** at life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I like Paddy but jaysis does her overplay the council estate card.

I grew up in a council estate but I dont shoehorn it in to conversation all the time, nor do I see it as some sort of excuse for being **** at life.

I wouldnt mind, he makes out like growing up in jobstown was akin to something out of "boys in the hood"

I'm from Tallaght, and I never had these issues.

• Advertisement

Wonder what the story is, nothing new up on the podcast since the Sinn Fein controversy. I thought that would have freed him up with more time and political freedom to do more podcasts more so than none at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Probably waiting til after SF decide what to do with him.

Probably waiting til after SF decide what to do with him.

Oh yeah right he's "suspended" isn't he. maybe in the light of the other Shinner f**k ups in the past week, his indiscretion (if you could even call it that) might be seen in a different light.

Advertisement