Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

at this stage i can only see 2 na pairsaigh players coming back into the team after the club championship in casey and dowling , i dont think there is room for anyone else at the moment

Can't see it either. But who would you take from yesterday and swap with them? Hegarty, Murphy maybe..
    Very hard that na piarsaigh game went to a draw. It'll be difficult to join a team on such form who've been playing together like this for the past months. Not sure if it's a blessing or a curse! Same as playing (probably, although Ill put my hands up if I'm wrong when Dublin win) Tipp next Sunday week. Considering we have them in first round of championship..

Thought Richie mc gave a valiant effort when he came on, don't know about hickey at FB. Always thought he was more suited to half back line and given the freedom of driving up the pitch as he always did. Wonder would Mike casey ever be an option or is it just too soon pre championship..

Don't really care about wide count. That can be rectified, even though we've been saying that for the last few years. It'll be clare that'd be sickened to not have beat us with 22 wides. Great to finally get out the other end of narrow victories for once. Just shows where the teams mentality and fitness is at present particularly against a clare team known for their stamina and ability to finish out games like this . Even if it did end with a free taking competition..

Hopefully they'll start getting the support they deserve now, the attendance at a home game yesterday particularly after beating Galway last week was abysmal, I thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

well done today lads fantastic game , ye are putting together a really decent team with an excellent manager , but to slightly spoil the party:p ye hit by my count 24 wides today 20 From Play , once ye steady yourselves in front of goal ye will start pulling up some big trees , i reckon ye have the momentum to win the league but the wides tally needs to drop for a serious all ireland challenge ,

at this stage i can only see 2 na pairsaigh players coming back into the team after the club championship in casey and dowling , i dont think there is room for anyone else at the moment
    Which one? I think you could make a case for either but I'll presume it's Peter you are talking about. I also wouldn't be too sure about Dowling coming back onto the team: panel yes but not sure about a starting spot. Delighted with the past two performances for sure from the lads. I have to say however that watching Tony Kelly in full flight and looking very fit was a treat and himself and Cian Lynch were worth the entrance fee alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

well done today lads fantastic game , ye are putting together a really decent team with an excellent manager , but to slightly spoil the party:p ye hit by my count 24 wides today 20 From Play , once ye steady yourselves in front of goal ye will start pulling up some big trees , i reckon ye have the momentum to win the league but the wides tally needs to drop for a serious all ireland challenge ,

Peter Casey is a cert to start. Dowling should start if fully fit but he isn't long back after knee surgery still and it might be a couple games before he starts. I think Mike Casey is a better corner back than English, though it would be harsh to drop English. Downes is back playing well after a rotten run of injuries and still improving and could force his way in, O'Donoghue is a possibility and David Dempsey is a favourite of Kiely's. There could be quite a bit of change between the 15 for our first outing and our best 15 by the end of our summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Are the Na P boys going to get any break? All Ireland final to club matches to the most intense AI championship ever?

I'd still like to see one of hegarty/hayes at wing back, we need to lord it there not just be ok.

Hickey is not a FB, think Richie M/Casey better options but what do we know compared to JK and the team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are the Na P boys going to get any break? All Ireland final to club matches to the most intense AI championship ever?

Looks like the club final replay has been set for Portlaoise this Saturday at 17:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

Very positive attitude on show yesterday, wins must be building confidenc, plus I think this group is one the supporters will get behind there's a bit of stubbornness about them that Limerick supporters relate to, its early in the year, for me signs are positive.
    Na Piarsaigh were excellent and should have won the first time out, the frees (Treacy was top class) saved Cuala. If NaP they can summon up the same attitude they'll be my favorites to win the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

yeah was on about peter , i haven't seen too much of mike at senior inter county but he had a great game saturday in the all ireland club, its great having the extra players coming back while still in the cut and trust of the league

yeah was on about peter , i haven't seen too much of mike at senior inter county but he had a great game saturday in the all ireland club, its great having the extra players coming back while still in the cut and trust of the league

Finn and Casey were our starting corner backs last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

They were but wasn't English injured? I think I'd like to see either r Mac or casey at 3 and move hickey to 7 another option is hego at 7 I feel we have way more options in the forwards than we have in the half back line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

lim4ev wrote: »
    They were but wasn't English injured? I think I'd like to see either r Mac or casey at 3 and move hickey to 7 another option is hego at 7 I feel we have way more options in the forwards than we have in the half back line.

Would agree re. Hegarty, I can see why and what Kiely is doing trying him in the forwards but to be honest he is not worth his place in the forwards, Limerick have 6 better forwards, however he is definitely good enough as a wing back.

danganabu wrote: »
    Would agree re. Hegarty, I can see why and what Kiely is doing trying him in the forwards but to be honest he is not worth his place in the forwards, Limerick have 6 better forwards, however he is definitely good enough as a wing back.

Based on his last couple of performances I wouldn't move hegarty for anything. He is massive at wing forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Based on his last couple of performances I wouldn't move hegarty for anything. He is massive at wing forward.

Nailed on starter in my opinion but I would prefer him at wing back if I'm honest. Don't get me wrong, he's useful in the forwards but doesn't contribute enough scores.

Also, on a separate note, I have to say I have been very impressed by Sean Finn at corner back since he came into the team in 2017. Consistently good and a fantastic man marker

Yeah I can see both sides of the argument to be honest, a good forward line is all about balance and there is little point in having six free scoring 'nice' forwards - Gillane and Casey for example - if you dont have the players with the work rate and physicality to complement it. Hegarty fits that bill I guess, just feel that Limerick could get more from him in the half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Colemania wrote: »
    Nailed on starter in my opinion but I would prefer him at wing back if I'm honest. Don't get me wrong, he's useful in the forwards but doesn't contribute enough scores.

Also, on a separate note, I have to say I have been very impressed by Sean Finn at corner back since he came into the team in 2017. Consistently good and a fantastic man marker

I would agree Finn has been very impressive as has Richie English even though sometimes he needlessly fouls, his been very good. It will be interesting when Mike Casey comes back as I think his a quality player. I can't see Kiely putting him in full back as I see him persisting with Hickey there. I think with the four championship games in Munster this year they will all see plenty of action and hopefully all stay fit.

At the start of the year, I would have been one of the people who said Hegarty should be playing half back but he seems to be improving all the time in the forwards. He offers us something different up there and when he gets the ball in his hand is very hard to stop. I can see why Kiely is persisting with him and if we could get him and Kyle Hayes playing well In the half forward line we might finally have half forwards who can win ball in the air.

I can also see why people would like to see both in the half back line as they've both been excellent their underage. It's great to have competition for places and naming a starting 15 isn't as easy as it was under TJ. Kiely is actually developing a squad

Backs should play in the backs, play every fella in his best position and you'll generally do best in my experience of watching hurling. Hegarty might make it because of his puckouts and has a good skill set and vision. Would bring hayes back if anyone

Lots of options - great

Casey and gillane would be nailed on forwards for me but the other 4 is up in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

come on , for all mikey casey done last year compared to finn is incomparable , when i said casey i ment peter , and while michael has had a good run with the club i still dont see him as intercounty championship level compared to english who is far more experienced for his age

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I'd agree we can't move Finn or English but I think no3 is up for grabs and considering the consternation in the nap defence as soon as m casey went off though I know it's club hurling it was incredible up to that had cuala a smell of a goal? Plus these were inter county hurlers granted they weren't callinans or bubbles or joe cannings but still fine hurlers who would test a lot of inter county full back lines. I think casey has to be looked at and put hickey to hb line as for me we can't win an all irl with hannon and morrissey at 6 and 7 might with hannon alone but not both. I'd love to be proven wrong

No idea if Kiely will select any Na P players this week, personally think they should be given the time off - he can integrate them into the panel in the weeks after clubs and before c'ship - maybe with the exception of downes who hasn't done as much hurling as the rest and is in good form, i'd have him on the bench for Saturday

I'd really like to see downes come good on the 40 his best place is 30 yards from goal he can win a ball and wreak havoc from there without being bottled up

Dempsey is also a natural forward and Hayes or hegarty should be pushed back into half back line

Dowling an impact as a FF and casey in the corner for c'ship not this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Very promising signs for the Limerick hurlers. There’s a fairly deep squad there and great half back line. No one will want to play them. Wasteful with their shooting, but that can be worked on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Very wasteful with their shooting and a brainfart from Nicky was the difference.

Still a good campaign. Promotion was a great reward from the league.

Honestly think tipp had another gear and we were better off losing

Wides terrible in first half started with Flanagan missing a simple starter

A couple of our forwards weren't good enough tonight and I think david Dempsey and downes have to start at half forward

Graeme very sharp and looks our best impact sub

Gillane our best forward

Richie mac at full back everytime

I'd imagine byrnes will be roasted by management for those wides

Hannon was good but dispossessed a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Honestly think tipp had another gear and we were better off losing

Wides terrible in first half started with Flanagan missing a simple starter

A couple of our forwards weren't good enough tonight and I think david Dempsey and downes have to start at half forward

Graeme very sharp and looks our best impact sub

Gillane our best forward

Richie mac at full back everytime

Neutral observer here, and there was no doubt that Tipp could pull something extra from the bag if they needed it. They’ll be very close to regaining the AI this year. I was impressed by Limerick though for the most part - some poor shooting aside (and Quaid’s terrible blunder!) Couple of years behind in their development compared to Tipp and Galway, but there’s good young hurlers there, and they were able to bring on impact subs off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I'd imagine byrnes will be roasted by management for those wides

Hannon was good but dispossessed a few times

Those wides from Byrnes were head wrecking. He seems to go for the Austin Gleeson Hail Marys far too often. They don't work out often enough to be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

Limericks attitude was really good, competed aggressively for everything, won a lot of possession.
    Poor wides ok especially so from far out.
    Half forward line were very impressive, 3 big men as well, Cian Lynch has turned int a serious competitor and Browne played well when he came on, Nash looked good as well...
    Some very nice corner forwards but a criticism is whoever starts needs to be able to compete for dirty ball, I think that there are 2 or 3 similar in that they can come in with 20mins to go and it suits them better, and they look better but are not a good from the get go.
    Full back position is biggest concern, I'd prefer Hickey in the corner but that'd be very harsh on English, between Richie and Mike Casey for the no 3.
    Of the returning NaP lads the 2 Dempesys, Shane Dowling and the 2 Caseys will all push for starting spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Absolutely agree re similar type forwards. That is why a fit dowling would be a big asset to that forward line . But I just don't think he's nearly fit enough to start. 15/20 minutes off the bench but until he gets about 30% fitter that's about it.
    Alan Dempsey well worth a serious look at by Kiely imo.  Intelligent player who always tries to do the right thing with the ball. David Dempsey still has a bit to go to command a starting place.
    Peter Casey a certain starter imo - the best of the "similiar" type players by a distance. Surely Mike Casey has to start after destroying Con O'Callaghan for 110 minutes.
    Kevin Downes also has to be in with a big shout.
    None of the rest of the Na Piarsaigh contingent are up to that standard yet.

Absolutely agree re similar type forwards. That is why a fit dowling would be a big asset to that forward line . But I just don't think he's nearly fit enough to start. 15/20 minutes off the bench but until he gets about 30% fitter that's about it.
    Alan Dempsey well worth a serious look at by Kiely imo.  Intelligent player who always tries to do the right thing with the ball. David Dempsey still has a bit to go to command a starting place.
    Peter Casey a certain starter imo - the best of the "similiar" type players by a distance. Surely Mike Casey has to start after destroying Con O'Callaghan for 110 minutes.
    Kevin Downes also has to be in with a big shout.
    None of the rest of the Na Piarsaigh contingent are up to that standard yet.

Dowling not long back from knee surgery in the AI final games and still had two big games. He will be plenty fit enough for championship.

Alan Dempsey has been dropped off the panel which is a nonsense. He was the best player on the Na P team in the AI final and replay and is a better hurler than at least 5 on the Limerick panel vying for similar positions and will hurl them off the field come club championship.

Dowling not long back from knee surgery in the AI final games and still had two big games. He will be plenty fit enough for championship.

Alan Dempsey has been dropped off the panel which is a nonsense. He was the best player on the Na P team in the AI final and replay and is a better hurler than at least 5 on the Limerick panel vying for similar positions and will hurl them off the field come club championship.

He has never been so far in his intercounty career, what has changed? Don't get me wrong, an incredible skilfull and intelligent hurler but no where near fit enough for the modern intercounty game.

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    He has never been so far in his intercounty career, what has changed? Don't get me wrong, an incredible skilfull and intelligent hurler but no where near fit enough for the modern intercounty game.

Rubbish.

Advertisement