Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Seeing as it's the fourth or fifth time the same story has been rehashed, it obviously resonates with punters enough to keep them coming back..
    But I'd be one of the 10% who saw it in the cinema prior to knowing the plot and was very underwhelmed.
    Not saying it's a bad film, it's no sharknado, but definitely not as good as it's made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Now that Cameron has finished the script for Avatar 5 (and all those in between), filming will soon start on Avatar 2. The original was a box office monster, but what will the expectations be for future outings? It certainly looked amazing, but the film itself wasn't anything particularly special (imo).

Will be interesting to see how the franchise pans out with everything so prepared. Just hoping that they don't rely on cliffhanger endings to get people back in for the next installment.
    “The thing is, my focus isn’t on Avatar 2. My focus is on Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 equally. That’s exactly how I’m approaching it. They’ve all been developed equally. I’ve just finished the script to Avatar 5. I’m now starting the process of active prep. I’ll be working with the actors in the capture volume in August, so I’m booked in production every day between now and then.

Link to Independent.co.uk article which offers a little more commentary rather than a straight up interview.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

It was the first film in years where when i saw it in 3D i was blown away. The story line was crap (ish) but who cares when it was such a visual spectacle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

It was an incredible spectacle watching in 3D but it's not a film I've ever wanted to revisit at home, it reminds me somewhat of Peter Jackson's King Kong, a financial and critical success that has left absolutely zero cultural footprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

It was an incredible spectacle watching in 3D but it's not a film I've ever wanted to revisit at home,.

I was just thinking that the other day. I did like it but I can't imagine sitting and watching it again.

I've seen it compared to Apocalypto before but for me, Avatar was missing something or maybe just seemed to be trying to hard, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It was an astounding example of how much 3D technology has to offer the medium of film - only for studios to utterly destroy it with half-baked, lazy, largely poor post production '3D' movies.

I wonder will the sequels all be 3D? I'd be happy to see them in 3D if so, though I actively avoid all 3D films in the cinema and have done for years as they're largely garbage and usually add little to nothing (and often detract with murky, dark visuals in some cases).

Avatar isn't a brilliant film in its own right (though it's quite good) but as a cinematic experience in 3D it was mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Didnt watch it in the cinema but watched it at home and thought it was one of the worst films ive ever seen.

from what ive heard its very much a cinema film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I was just thinking that the other day. I did like it but I can't imagine sitting and watching it again.

I saw it again there recently. I enjoyed it in the cinema but it is absolute scutter when you're watching it on your TV at home. Unobtainium… ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I watched the first one recently, I genuinely thought it was a mockbuster version, the first 30 minutes or so are just daft and it's terrible from there on.

I'd agree it's more of a cinema experience than a good film, I'd expect the same from this, daft story, cliches everywhere but technically and visually marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

This a James Cameron self love fest.

No one can argue that Avatar IS in 3D a visual spectacle in all its wonder but it stops at that . Fern Gully assaulted by the smurfs is what the story boiled down to . This has happened a lot of directors , they start out making good movies (Alien , Terminator , The Abyss ) they say they would love to do more if the technology was available....they get it and they spend more time playing with the tech than actually making a movie worth looking at.

South Park Describes him in his own words best
    "James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is James Cameron!"

I will probably watch them at some point ....if he some how pulled a decent story or plot I could be persuaded to part with my money but for now Its in the "when it arrives on Film4" category

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

LG and Sony are exiting the 3D tv business this year, leaving exactly zero manufactures. As poor a movie as Avatar was, I've got to give Cameron credit for giving me one of the few decent (technical) experiences of the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭brevity

It's a daunting task to start filming on 4 movies at the same time, especially with the complicated special effects and the fact the 3D isn't exactly the darling of the cinema world.

I enjoyed Avatar in the cinema. It was an incredible experience but it doesn't hold up to repeated viewing.

Seems like a risk to film four more...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Given the rake of money the first one made, surprised it took so long for filming to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Apocalypto= One of the most overrated films of the last 20years.

LG and Sony are exiting the 3D tv business this year, leaving exactly zero manufactures.

Great to hear that it was only as silly expensive gimmick anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How are they just filming it now? :pac:
    It was announced years ago and it was meant to originally come out soon before it was pushed back. Surely it must mean filming the live action parts now and most of the cgi work is done?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How are they just filming it now? :pac:
    It was announced years ago and it was meant to originally come out soon before it was pushed back. Surely it must mean filming the live action parts now and most of the cgi work is done?

I don’t think so. They only just finished the writing and designing and with the release date almost 2 years away I doubt they’ve done any of the CGI yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Given the rake of money the first one made, surprised it took so long for filming to start.
    With his previous successes Cameron has enough money to last many lifetimes, so he has the luxury of not having to give a crap as his films will be made when he wants them made. I don't rate him much as a director, but I do admire his love of technology and trying to use it to create amazing experiences. His Avatar and Battle Angel films may flop, but I've little doubt that they'll look impressive at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Just on the home 3D thing. When I saw Avatar in the cinema, I loved the 3D and thought you could never replicate that at home.

I bought the 'active' 3D TV, the horrendously expensive glasses and loads of 3D BluRays and truth be told was fairly underwhelmed with the result. Apart from screen size issue which doesn't immerse you as much, the 'active' 3D suffers from regular crosstalk and ghosting.

I tried a friend's 'passive' 3DTV which uses the cinema glasses and was underwhelmed as it cuts the 1080p resolution by 50%.

I was about to give up on home 3D, when I decided to upgrade my projector to a 1080p which happened to also have 3D. I bought a cheap pair of glasses on the internet to give it a try and WOW !!!. I can honestly say it's a better experience than the cinema. Brighter 1080p picture, better contrast/ colour and zero crosstalk. (And the complete set up cost less than half what I spent on the 3DTV alone)

It's just a pity that projectors are such a niche market they probably won't be enough to keep 3D Bluray going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I bought a really expensive 3D TV a good few years ago when 3D was still a fairly big talking point. Avatar looked incredible on it, but the problem was, very little else did. The only other movie that stood out to me as making good use of the technology was The Final Destination.

I think the hands down worst '3D' movie ever was Clash of the Titans. You'd be forgiven for thinking you'd accidentally put on the 2D version. It was efforts like that and a great many others like it that destroyed the credibility of the technology.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Given the amount of post production and what not it would probably take 2 years to make one film but he is doing four at once so I'm doubtful we will see any Avatar film till 2020 and that is if he starts filming by the end of this year

New release dates:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/avatar-sequel-release-dates-2020-1202392897/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kate Winslet Joins ‘Avatar’ Universe For ‘Titanic’ Reunion With James Cameron

http://deadline.com/2017/10/kate-winslet-avatar-2-titanic-reunion-titanic-helmer-james-cameron-1202181471/

The ‘Avatar’ Sequels Have Wrapped Production
    This just in from Pandora: James Cameron says the Avatar sequels have reached a major milestone with the completion of all principal photography involving main cast members.

In a video message, the director of the two highest-grossing films of all time (Avatar and Titanic) praised the ensemble of actors who have been filming Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 since September 2017.

“Hi, James Cameron here and today I’m coming to you from the set of the Avatar sequels — and behind me you can see our performance-capture stage. Today we’re capturing some stunt scenes filming some stunt scenes but our principal cast are all wrapped: Sam [Worthington], Zoe [Saldana], Sigourney [Weaver], Stephen Lang, Kate Winslet.”

The Oscar-winning filmmaker added: “They’re done now but they gave us incredible performances. And I can’t tell you how proud I am of the work that they did on these films.”

Avatar 2 is due in theaters on December 18, 2020, and will be followed by Avatar 3 on December 17, 2021. Two additional sequels are planned after that if the first pair deliver the kind of box-office success that Fox and Cameron are expecting.

In the video message, Cameron then turned to a different project as he explained the ambition and artistry of Alita: Battle Angel , which reaches theaters in February.

Cameron fell in love with the namesake source material, the cyberpunk saga created by Yukito Kishiro in the 1990s, and flirted with making it into a movie in the mid-2000s but ultimately set it aside in favor of making the first Avatar.

In 2015, director Robert Rodriguez (Sin City, Spy Kids) came on board as director for Alita with Cameron producing (along with his longtime partner, Jon Landau). The film’s approach — a dreamy futuristic setting yet with photorealistic anime visuals — is being billed as a game-changer (not unlike Cameron’s Terminator 2 and Avatar) but that could be an elusive sell to moviegoers.

Which explains why Cameron was using his Avatar publicity and social media megaphone to tether the two franchises and boost the fledgling Alita.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/james-cameron-avatar-sequels-alita-titanic-1202502044/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"...a message to Avatar fans"

There are fans of Avatar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

pixelburp wrote: »
    "...a message to Avatar fans"

There are fans of Avatar?

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Avatar at the time for the spectacle of it all, it just never grabbed me as this proto-franchise people were eagerly awaiting more stories within. Especially 10 years after release. Just all feels a bit weird, especially with an entire section in Disneyworld being built around it, like an IP without that critical mass of fandom. Do people cosplay? That's the real barometer of geek relevancy :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

pixelburp wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Avatar at the time for the spectacle of it all, it just never grabbed me as this proto-franchise people were eagerly awaiting more stories within. Especially 10 years after release. Just all feels a bit weird, especially with an entire section in Disneyworld being built around it, like an IP without that critical mass of fandom. Do people cosplay? That's the real barometer of geek relevancy :D;)

I enjoyed the film itself, one of the very few 3D experiences where I felt the 3D wasn’t a distraction/gimmick. As for hunger for more, I don’t particularly feel the need to revisit that universe...it is a bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah i am surprised its actually even getting a sequel, the story of the first film has been told many times before in a way, so im kinda worried how they will stretch the universe, story wise.

But it is by far, the most impressive CGI movie i have ever seen, and its Cameron behind it, so im hopeful :)

Advertisement