Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laser Eye Surgery Abroad - My experience

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Leave it til the Autumn or Winter. Flights are extremely expensive at this time of year as are hotels.

6 months on, I'm fully recovered and it's the best money I ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Dutchy

Sorry only seeing this now (pun intended)

Re HD, one of my concerns going over was that they'd try to upsell different versions of the procedure to me. Refreshing that they recommended the "basic" procedure to me. Because of my age (I'm 44) they said they would leave some short sightedness in my lead eye. You see, as you age, you'll need glasses to read etc. Unbelievable consultation that I can't see being bettered in Ireland

A couple of months on and I have had zero complications. Eye drops a couple of times a day, that's it. Perfect vision. It's like gaining a super power having been dependant on glasses / contacts all my teen / adult life.

I echo the previous posters comments , in that, it's the best money i have ever spent.

As for flight cost. I'm frugal by nature so didn't check in a bag (got a Ryanair cabin approved bag for under the seat). Didn't book priority (biggest waste of money as you're guaranteed a seat - check in as close as possible to departure time to secure a window or isle seat - always works). By doing this, my return flights cost €80 in April. Did drop a load of money in Dublin airport bar, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had considered laser eye surgery about 10 or 15 years ago, but was slightly nervous and so didn't proceed. Plus I didn't mind wearing glasses occasionally..

The kicker for me was the fact that if I had got it, I would still eventually need reading glasses. The optician explained to me that if I lived with my minor short sightedness, then it would be longer before I needed reading glasses. But if I got lasered, I'd need reading glasses sooner.

I had assumed that once lasered I would be done with glasses forever, but apparently not. He said a lot of people believed the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭doc22

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Perhaps.

But it's fact that everyone who gets their eyes lasered will eventually end up wearing glasses again.

Plus, why do all the opticiians I know or have used, wear glasses instead of getting their eyes lasered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I also got lasr eye sugrey abroad. Very pweased wit da reslts.

Everyone will need glasses eventually.The option for most people is wear glasses 24/7 and require two separate type as get older or get surgery and require glasses to read.

The vast majority of people who wear glasses don't get surgery so why would opticians. It would be a bad look for business too. Sugery might not last forever and you hear of cases of people back in glasses after a few years.

Post edited by doc22 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Also a pair of reading glasses is a couple of quid. My lenses are €120 every 3 months and my back up glasses cost €250 or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭apache

I got my eyes done here in a private hospital about 15 years ago. It was great up until about 7 years ago and now my vision is back to the way it used to be. It dosen't last forever. My corneas are too thin to get done again.

In fairness you got good value from for perhaps 10 years. You might have got of done before price increase and reduction in tax relief too. My eyes are always changing for long time so I think if I ever got it done it would be a waste. A slight regression back kinda puts you in a position to need glasses again. even if you don't go back fully (.ie -6 to regessed -2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I had my eyes lasered in Ireland in 2002, it cost €4200 but got tax refund at the higher rate back then, so about 42% off. It was in the Wellington private clinic, and I was treated in a very professional manner. Operation was perfect, I got lucky (as it simply wasn't as good as it is today) and ended up with 20/12 vision (which is considerably better than 20/20 vision) - being able to easily read the smallest bottom line of the chart

I'm 55 now and I've had reading glasses for 2 years, but I still don't need them even for reading the paper, reading a book, working on a computer, etc. I do need them for reading when the environment is dark and I need them for precision work. And it is getting worse obviously as I age further

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭apache

Thinking back now you are probably right. 10 years was a good chunk of time. It was definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

So I got it done in Prague today.1900 euro for femtho hd. Quite an experience tbh. Yesterday they put drops in my eyes to dilate pupils omg vision was blurry for the whole day very sensitive to light. That finally passed about 7 o'clock about 7 hours after. Surgery this morning arrived on time to find out that the laser machine has stopped working during previous patients operation. Thankfully I had been given the relaxer tablet so the news wasn't too upsetting haha. We were told go back to our hotel while they try sort it out. We received phone call about 30 mins later offering service in Brno 2 hours away in the car. So we accepted it due to flights and next day check up. I keep referring as we as I met very nice guy from Haiti in my hotel and he had same schedule as me. He's a bit a a panicker he travels alot between usa Haiti and France but he travelled from Haiti to Prague as hed done lots of research as they were the best. The news the machine broke and to travel to another city didn't sit well with him but eventually he understood neo bise and praga media are kinda same company praga make the booking with neo vise for us. So anyway off we went bit of rough start in mini bus cutting out and stalling and having tonstop to add ad blue to tank. We were off still very relaxed from tablet given to us haha. We arrived 2 hours later to Brno and tbf they were very efficient. There was 5 of us in total done in under 2 hours. I myself found procedure very uncomfortable I don't like anyone touching my eyes obviously there's no pain but you kinda expect to feel some. I was layed down and something like a marker or a pin she put dots on my eyes. I think that's what happened. Then they put the first machine over you and place like a clamp to keep you eye open or in place I'm not sure.the you feel air or something for about 5 seconds and then onto the other eye. Then you glided over to the actual laser. Lots of green and red lights scattered and your told look in center and on comes the laser. This last 7 seconds she told me. You don't feel it tbh but you can smell burn like signed hair kinda smell then repeat on other eye. Then you sit up your first os to grab your eyes rub but I was no in a very stern Eastern Europe accent so I behaved. We were out in waiting room again for maybe 20 mins. At this point all I could see was like a fog and the burning sensation started tbh it lasted about 3 hour no one spoke a word on way home. I'm about 5 hours post surgery. I went to shopping center next door to hotel and was easily able to read menus up high over counters. So yes it does work. NGL it's sore after the lasik for few hours. I'd to guide the hatai guy back to hotel. I'd one eye working he'd none haha. It's definitely worth doing. I met nice guy who traveled alone as did i.wifes at home. He's wife wasn't sure bout him doing such a risky operation alone. Thankfully his wife was sleeping in Haiti this morning as his plan was to tell her to be on safe side they would wait and do his op In morning so he didn't tell her. Imagine if he told her and ge got phone call that he going brno haha how would he explained that to his wife. All in all a good experience except tea bags I forgot my Barry's tea and teas here is different alot different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Hi all, how do you go about booking and knowing you'll be eligible? I assume everyone is are they?

I think I'm going to get it done and I've been to Prague which is a great city. Holiday for the same price as here seems worth it by everyone's experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A chat with my optician would be the first port of call for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think nearly everyone suitable, optical express and them do a free evaluation and they hit you with a mad quote, but at least you'll know if your suitable or not. You pay 140 euro for evaluation in Prague. I can't recommend Prague for treatment enough. Less than 48 hours later my vision is perfect. I didn't know what I was missing out on tbh. Out of curiosity I tried on my glasses and every was blurry. I'm delighted tbh. All in 3k flights accom and surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

Not everyone is suitable and in fact the sign of a good laser eye surgeon is that they turn a high percentage of people away. It depends on the strength of your glasses prescription, the thickness of your corneas, previous eye surgery, previous eye infections or injuries, severe dry eye, other eye diseases, your lifestyle/occupation, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FrankT.

Great outcome, might not work for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 41 rodderss

No results on Google for duovise can anyone share a link please.

Advertisement