Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing betting thread

• 25-11-2012 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

So in light of quite a few people cleaning up on Senchenko's victory against Hatton tonight, I thought it appropriate to make a thread where people discuss betting on boxing.

I think if you know your stuff, boxing is a much more predictable sport than the likes of football. I tend to bet a lot on outcomes with low payouts than betting a little on big upsets.

I think 3-1 odds at Boylesports on Guerrero by decision tonight is very good value. He's a far more polished boxer than Berto, who's been out of the ring for over a year now. Berto clearly has the size and power advantage but I think there's a good chance Guerrero will box clever to a decision.

Seeing as I won a nice amount on a Senchenko stoppage, I'm going to have another punt tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

magma69 wrote: »
    So in light of quite a few people cleaning up on Senchenko's victory against Hatton tonight, I thought it appropriate to make a thread where people discuss betting on boxing.

I think if you know your stuff, boxing is a much more predictable sport than the likes of football. I tend to bet a lot on outcomes with low payouts than betting a little on big upsets.

I think 3-1 odds at Boylesports on Guerrero by decision tonight is very good value. He's a far more polished boxer than Berto, who's been out of the ring for over a year now. Berto clearly has the size and power advantage but I think there's a good chance Guerrero will box clever to a decision.

Seeing as I won a nice amount on a Senchenko stoppage, I'm going to have another punt tonight.

Betting on any sport is rubbish really. The bookies always win in the long run. There's a reason they make a profit and not a loss.

That said, I bet on boxing a bit. I don't expect to make money, I see it as a way to make the fight more exciting if I know I'll be watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Betting on any sport is rubbish really. The bookies always win in the long run. There's a reason they make a profit and not a loss.

That said, I bet on boxing a bit. I don't expect to make money, I see it as a way to make the fight more exciting if I know I'll be watching.

Well it's not rubbish if you're really good at what you do, JP McManus?

There are a minority that beat the bookies long term. The reason they make a profit is because the vast majority of people lose to the bookies over long term.

I've probably evened out what I've won and lost on boxing. But, like yourself, I just do it for a bit of craic. Don't bet big money.

There are a minority that beat the bookies long term. The reason they make a profit is because the vast majority of people lose to the bookies over long term.

I've probably evened out what I've won and lost on boxing. But, like yourself, I just do it for a bit of craic. Don't bet big money.

Horse racing is a different game, it's all about having the inside track and holding back horses. You have to be in the know rather than simply well informed. I'd say maybe 1% at most make a profit, and they're professional gamblers who do it as a job. Bookies by and large offer terrible odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Jayob on this boxing forum has been the best tipster by far check this thread out below, and was spot on tonight again

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...6630329&page=3

Keep them coming !

Betting on any sport is rubbish really.
    Horse racing is a different game

:confused:

• Advertisement

:confused:

:cool:

Guerrero decision Berto @ 3-1. Get in there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Horse racing is a different game, it's all about having the inside track and holding back horses. You have to be in the know rather than simply well informed. I'd say maybe 1% at most make a profit, and they're professional gamblers who do it as a job. Bookies by and large offer terrible odds.

they always did but limits are much better now than they were years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

I'll help keep this thread alive !

I would bet/trade every weekend on boxing.
    Had The Ukaraine to win between round 6-10 @ 10/1

But I did loose on the Berto fight.

I hope they checked the ghost's glove after the fight. I couldnt beleive how swollen Berto was.
    The ghost is a dirty fighter ..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

I heard before that even the JPs of this world only make 15% profit on betting which is really only as good as a good investment. Stand to correction on the figure but plenty of reason to believe who told me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

JP and the likes do well becauase they can afford to do well. They can afford the big losses. Charles Barkley (NBA man) is an incessant gambler. He says he will never give up because he can afford to keep doing it. He will never be financially in trouble he says. PBF is another gambler, one who has won a lot, but I am betting that he has lost a lot too. Wealthy people can gamble with a lot less impact to them financially than those who are not wealthy. Of course, wealthy people can be dumb/greedy/warped and can gamble away all their money.

walshb wrote: »
    JP and the likes do well becauase they can afford to do well. They can afford the big losses. Charles Barkley (NBA man) is an incessant gambler. He says he will never give up because he can afford to keep doing it. He will never be financially in trouble he says. PBF is another gambler, one who has won a lot, but I am betting that he has lost a lot too. Wealthy people can gamble with a lot less impact to them financially than those who are not wealthy. Of course, wealthy people can be dumb/greedy/warped and can gamble away all their money.

JP McManus made his money in gambling. He doesn't really gamble anymore. He quit while he was ahead because he's smart.

Anyways, this isn't what this thread is about so can we stick to the topic please.

I'm backing Price to win in rounds 1-6 at 4/9 on Skybet. Think it's a pretty safe bet with decent value in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

JP McManus made his money in gambling. He doesn't really gamble anymore. He quit while he was ahead because he's smart.

Anyways, this isn't what this thread is about so can we stick to the topic please.

I'm backing Price to win in rounds 1-6 at 4/9 on Skybet. Think it's a pretty safe bet with decent value in it.

Was JP an avearge Joe earning an average wage? Not sure but I think JP had money to begin with. For every JP there are far more failures. Anyway, back on topic as you requested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Lads what do ya think cotto at 4/9 to beat trout?

I was honestly expecting 1/5 cotto is a boxing legend (to me anyway) one of the best of his generation against an up an comer undefeated world champ fair enough he beat canelos brother in mexico but seriously outclassed here im expecting an easy win 4/9 is generous

SRFC wrote: »
    Lads what do ya think cotto at 4/9 to beat trout?

I was honestly expecting 1/5 cotto is a boxing legend (to me anyway) one of the best of his generation against an up an comer undefeated world champ fair enough he beat canelos brother in mexico but seriously outclassed here im expecting an easy win 4/9 is generous

Personally I think Price rounds 1-6 is a better bet at the same odds. Cotto hasn't exactly looked stellar at 154. Looked poor against Foreman and a shot Mayorga. He looked good against Margarito to be fair but I don't think Margarito offered much without his concrete gloves. You could argue it was a good performance against Mayweather but personally, I think Mayweather is far removed from his prime and is ready for the taking.

I'm not trying discredit Cotto, he deserves to be in the hall of fame as far as I'm concerned. I do think he'll win on points, but I don't think it's a sure shot. Trout is far from a walkover.

Price takes him out in round 2. Bit disappointed I didn't go for rounds 1-3 bet but it's better to be safe than sorry.

4/9 were excellent odds for 1-6 so I won't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Price takes him out in round 2. Bit disappointed I didn't go for rounds 1-3 bet but it's better to be safe than sorry.

4/9 were excellent odds for 1-6 so I won't complain.

Have a double going, Price inside the first 3, and Dawson to beat Flintoff, don't know much about Dawson tbf.

Pays almost 2/1.

djhaxman wrote: »
    Have a double going, Price inside the first 3, and Dawson to beat Flintoff, don't know much about Dawson tbf.

Pays almost 2/1.

Wouldn't have my homework done on that fight either. Great call in Price 1-3 though.

from watching flintoff spar he looks woeful this bloke will never live it down if he gets beaten by a cricketer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Well we know how bad Dawson is now. Flintoff will win this.

Freak show.

• Advertisement

Trout beats Cotto on points.

Staying well away from the Pac v Marquez fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

Staying well away from the Pac v Marquez fight.

I agree if you're betting on a winner either way, but a pretty safe bet is for it to go the full distance. At aprox. 1/3 on Betfair it's not much value I agree, but as boxing bets go it's one of the more reliable ones.

I'm taking Billy Joe Saunders by KO/TKO/Disqualification at 2/5 tonight with Boylesports. Pretty much a sure thing imo so I'm slapping a fair few bob on it. He'll be snapping at the heels of the bigger name middleweights in Ireland and the UK if he does the business tonight.

Lots of fights on tonight. What do ye think are the best value bets?

Kahn to win by early knock out in the first few rounds surely worth a bet can see him coming out and blitzing this bum he's fighting.

SRFC wrote: »
    Kahn to win by early knock out in the first few rounds surely worth a bet can see him coming out and blitzing this bum he's fighting.

I dunno. It's risky if you ask me. Khan isn't a big puncher and Molina could just go into his shell/survival mode from round one. Khan is obviously going to win but it's tough to predict precisely how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 larrylamp

Great thread, put 20 on Khan in the 7th, 240 back off owl paddie if im lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

larrylamp wrote: »
    Great thread, put 20 on Khan in the 7th, 240 back off owl paddie if im lucky.
    pure madness. what reasoning could u possibly have that khan will do it in the 7th. does he have a history of tko7. does molina? has he said sth? this is the reason pp is loaded.

Bit of a mad punt I suppose. Grand if you can throwaway twenty snots for the craic. I know I can't! :pac::o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

endswell wrote: »
    this is the reason pp is loaded.

like all bookies :pac:

Advertisement