Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killakee House up for rent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Looks like this will be off the market in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You snapping it up eh 6th? Musta been all that talk of dogging that convinced you ! ;)

If I'd the money I'd take it in a heartbeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If the money was running better these days it might have been an idea to pill in the money and some of you lads could have done month long investigation on the place.

Saying that thought, you'd probably get bored after a week of nothing happening and listening to people riding/shooting up behind the house.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

6th wrote: »
    Looks like this will be off the market in the next few days.

What makes you say that?

• Advertisement

Talking to the estate agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

6th wrote: »
    Talking to the estate agents.

Yeah but they would say that have loads of interest to anyone who they think is a prospective renter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

There was an RTE series called 'Newsbeat' back in the '70s, and one of the programmes reported on the psychic and occult disturbances in Kilakee House. The place first attracted attention through newspaper reports with Margaret O' Brien who, with her husband, was working hard to turn Kilakee into an arts and crafts centre at the time. They hoped that it would be a centre where artists could not only learn their craft, but be provided with an outlet for selling their work.

The house itself was originally built as the Dower House for the Massey family and, although the house appears to be mainly eighteenth century in character, parts of the building appear to be older. As refuge and residence, Kilakee has known many famous and infamous people, including W.B. Yeats, 'AE' (AKA George William Russell, the Irish artist, poet, and mystic), and Countess Markievicz.

Margaret O' Brien reported that the manifestations began in 1968, just after the family had begun renovating the house and its outbuildings. Several manual labourers working on the project at the time were said to have left the site without collecting their wages. The alleged phenomena ranged from feet rushing along the upper galleries, to lights switching themselves on and off, and some apparitions that were seen by different individuals. Eventually, the O' Briens were forced to finish the work on the house themselves with the help of friends only.

One of the most impressive apparitions encountered was that of a large and unpleasant black cat (the one that most people have heard about). Some eyewitnesses said the cat was "the size of an Airdale dog", and the cat seemed to favour the square, stone-flagged hall - it was here that Margaret O' Brien and a male artist friend supposedly saw the cat on several separate occasions.

The friend told reporters that one of the incidents (the one in which he was involved) took place in the spring of 1968, and the cat appeared in the hall despite the door having been locked. He said, "I saw it (the cat) crouched in the half-light. I thought my legs wouldn't take me from the place, and I staggered to the front room."
    He also recalled that, at the same time, he received a clairaudient message intimating that, the door that he himself had locked while he had been working, was now open. "The door is now open. See for yourself. Let there be no mistake", said the voice.
    But the apparition of the cat left such an impression on the artist's mind that he subsequently painted a portrait of it from memory. The canvas hung in that same square, stone-flagged hall for some time afterwards.

In conjunction with the apparition of the cat, a shadowy figure would be seen outside the hall door; this shadowy figure was the second apparition that came to prominence. This was an apparition of a crippled boy, who was reputed to have been living in the house in its early days. An unwanted, unloved member of the household, this young lad was supposed to be clairvoyant, and this psychic faculty of his resulted in him being forced to participate in certain magical rituals performed by members of the nearby Hell Fire Club.

When his usefulness had reached its end, and with his deformity being a source of embarrassment to his family, it was believed that the boy was strangled and his body was buried on the ground floor of the old tower. Around the time of the second apparition kicking into action, Margaret O' Brien found the iron effigy of a cat affixed to the wall of the tower, and when she moved in, she removed it and nailed it to her own front door. Apparently this holds occult significance - the occult belief that it may restrict earthbound entities by virtue of its placement.

The apparition of the boy and the apparition of the cat were never seen together, but in succession of the other. The apparition of the crippled boy was mostly present in the area of the hall and its adjoining room, a room which has been suggested to have served the purpose of imprisoning the boy. That room later became the coffee bar in the art centre.

Kilakee House had other apparitions as well, as well as manifestations having been heard, but remaining unseen. The sound of the running feet that fled along the gallery, and the apparition of a man in a torn shirt that appeared from time to time in one of the bedrooms, have been linked to each other. The house is known to have been used during the Civil War by men on the run. One afternoon, three fugitives were cornered inside the house. Two of them, familiar with the interior layout of the house, escaped successfully. However, the third man took a wrong turning, found himself stuck in one of the bedrooms, and was shot dead where he stood.

Of the three apparitions that were seen in the yard, little is known about them, except that they appeared on at least three occasions to different people and they seem so normal, they were mistaken for visitors to the old art centre. The trio of apparitions consisted of two nuns - one of them was fairly stout - and a dark-skinned man. All three were dressed in black. On each occasion they were said to appear in daylight, and they would 'walk' from the main gates, go across the courtyard, and into the passage that leads around to the other side of the house. One genius that spotted them on one occasion attempted to accost them and question them. Unsurprisingly, he didn't get a reply from them.

On another occasion, Margaret O' Brien was in the boutique beside the passageway, and saw them passing the window outside. In trying to ascertain the reason for the recurring etheric apparition of the three people, it has been postulated that they may have been frequent visitors to the house, or had been called in a time of sickness. Sightings, as well as sounds, may never be completely lost, but could remain dormant in the ether until a certain set of circumstances (e.g. renovation, restoration, or demolition) activates them.

Most of the above incidents took place in the spring and summer of 1968.

In 1970, a seance was held in Kilakee House, after which a host of various physical reactions took place. Furniture was broken, lighting circuits were tampered with, and mysterious bells began to chime so loudly that the O' Briens couldn't sleep at night. To add to that melee of confusion, the apparition of both the crippled boy and the audio manifestation of the man in the bedroom (the running footsteps), appeared at intervals during the hours immediately after the seance. The remnants of the furniture were shown to the outside Broadcast Unit of RTE at the time, where one chair was reduced to mere firewood, while the solid wooden arm of another chair was wrenched clean from its place. The following night, the house played host to crockery and bottles being broken, surfaces were covered with a sticky substance of some kind, and some of the canvasses in the art gallery were destroyed.
    Margaret O' Brien admitted at this time that herself and the gardener had previously and unwittingly disinterred some skeleton remains in the grounds; the remains were then re-buried and the grave was blessed.

There were a couple of reports from local people during the 1970s that they had seen a coven functioning in the vicinity of Kilakee House.

During the alleged manifestations, caps and hats would be found in odd locations all over the house. Sometimes the caps contained odd coins, amongst them a Polish crown and a farthing. One cap that was recovered was one bearing strings that looked to have been congruent with the ladies fashions of the early 20th century. Another was a sunbonnet, and there were numerous children's knitted caps and bonnets.

I wish the brave soul who decides to live there the very best of luck with their stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Was just put onto this by a member and thought I'd update the thread. Estate agents must have been very hopeful or it has been put back on the market as it is listed on daft. I would be interested in taking up residance as it seems quite workable. I would have a iffy moment with the fact that an excorsim has been carried out, bbut I was also told of the more pressing concerns of druggies, unmentionables floating about the house. Is the area really that bad? And is it hard to access town from there by means other than car?

Was just put onto this by a member and thought I'd update the thread. Estate agents must have been very hopeful or it has been put back on the market as it is listed on daft. I would be interested in taking up residance as it seems quite workable. I would have a iffy moment with the fact that an excorsim has been carried out, bbut I was also told of the more pressing concerns of druggies, unmentionables floating about the house. Is the area really that bad? And is it hard to access town from there by means other than car?

You wouldnt be able to walk and I wouldnt advise cycling down that road. Recently (this week) a body was found a kilometer or two up the hill so aswell as drug addicts and scobes the area is also prone to the odd gangland execution. I was up there one afternoon and was eyeballed by a 5-6 older men as I drove passed Pipers Hill. Not a great place to be at night

Thanks for the detailed post MrMojoRoisin. Very comprehensive and an interesting read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 riseagains

Dont be so nieve all your lives. my mate lives there, it's not haunted!!!!!! he's been there for a while and shockingly enough nothing has happent!!!
    It's all tricks of the mind buddy.

riseagains wrote: »
    Dont be so nieve all your lives. my mate lives there, it's not haunted!!!!!! he's been there for a while and shockingly enough nothing has happent!!!
    It's all tricks of the mind buddy.

Yeah until one day there is a dead body hanging in his bedroom.

On another note, I was driving down the mountains and passed the house on my way back to Tallaght about 5/7 weeks ago. As I passed Kilakee house there was the biggest black dog standing directly across the road from it. No joke. Shat a brick I did. Then I forgot about it until now.

well if it's a rotwilder, that dog actually comes with the house when ya rent it. It's the most harmless dog. Would drool ya to death before he'd attack ya. And I've actually stayed in the house before!!!

riseagains wrote: »
    well if it's a rotwilder, that dog actually comes with the house when ya rent it. It's the most harmless dog. Would drool ya to death before he'd attack ya. And I've actually stayed in the house before!!!

Is it accepted that when you rent a house you get to look after a dog? Also if the tales are anything to go by it might just be the resident devil dog of Kilakee House.

Seriously, when you rent Kilakee house it comes with a big black dog? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

haha deadly :D What a bargain!

Well now in fareness it's not hard to feed a dog twice a day, and give it a bit of water.

but yeah the dog comes with the house. and it's huge. i'm nearly 6ft and when it jumps up on me it's paws are resting on my shoulders.

so that would explain the big black dog for ya!

and seriously i'm not a dog lover but that dog would honestly drool ya to death before anything else.

well i'm not here to tell you what to do. i'm sharing my light on the situation.

and in my experiences in the house theres been no "paranormal activity." and since my mates are living there they've came across nothing either.

Im sure it is, please dont take my post about the dog eating you too seriously. Im sure its a lovely dog, Im not a dog man myself but thats neither here nor there . I was just mentioning the fact that when I passed the place late at night there was a big black dog across the road from the gates. I found this interesting that the ghost story associated with the place included a big black dog. I guess it would be the same as going up to Charleville Castle and seeing an 11 year old girl in victorian dress hanging around.

Also its good to be walking the dog, you wouldnt want to have to get a priest in to exercise it. :D

Pretty much so yeah!!! oh i didn't take it seriously at all.. Didn't mean to sound arguementitive or anything.

Sorry i just think the whole thing is psycological and if you believe in it, then that is what make it all real.

and obviously on the flip side. if you dont believe in it, then you wont see people hanging from the rafters and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

We should really try and get a list of the haunted buildings in Ireland and see if anyone has had any experiences in them.

Anyone been to Charville castle?

KeithAFC wrote: »
    We should really try and get a list of the haunted buildings in Ireland and see if anyone has had any experiences in them.

Paul Fennell has a book out about haunted locations in Ireland. Its called Haunted. There is also a website you might find interesting.

Most people here have done Charleville Castle although most wouldnt have experienced any paranormal activity there. Its a handy one to do because there are always tours and groups heading there. It can be expensive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'm actually thinking about doing a trip to Charleville next year, when I'm more organised. Nothing is planned regarding at the moment though. Truth be told, I'm a little detached from any paranormal stuff (or anything else for that matter) at present, though I'm hoping when I go back to Ireland, I'll be able to give myself a kick up the arse regarding everything!

Back on the main topic though, the stuff being talked about regarding the house is pretty interesting... I wasn't aware there was all of that history behind the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

KeithAFC wrote: »

What about the Cooneen Ghost house in Fermanagh?
    There isn't too much about it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mankyspuds

Well went up to have a look at the place, liked it and went for it. Found out today that I got it!! pretty pleased. The place needs a good cleaning lots and lots of dust, but its in good order for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Mankyspuds wrote: »
    Well went up to have a look at the place, liked it and went for it. Found out today that I got it!! pretty pleased. The place needs a good cleaning lots and lots of dust, but its in good order for the most part.

Anthing to report 3 months on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Last activity for Mankyspuds 23-10-1010:eek:!!!

Perhaps someone should go up and check on them? Or at least spray some fabreeze on the corpses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

The first time I ever took a girl for dinner in my teenage years was in the old restaurant in Kilakee House. Recently I lived at the foot of that hill and have walked up around the HellFire Club and that area more times than I've had hot dinners!

I remember the night we went for the meal up there, we were in the reception area waiting for our table and I can clearly remember seeing the haunting framed picture of the monsterous black cat that appeared inside the house on evening.

It was sad to see the restaurant closing, I could see the venue doing great business as a pub and restaurant again if a bit of imagination was used with regard to getting customers home, etc

Just found an old review of the restaurant going back to when we still used the Irish punt!

http://www.foodandwine.net/reviews/069.htm

Just realised the review was by Paolo Tullio and goes back to around 2004!

Sorry, I should have gotten back on to you, I took AGES to get Eircom up off their arses so I could get a phone & broadband (12/02/11 believe it or not) I forgot that I posted on here about the place.

Anyway - What a place to live!!!! Rent is cheap, awesome place to hold parties I mean fúckin deadly spot, snooker table, landlords are cool. When I moved in at the start(on my own), it was proper creepy to begin with. Weather vane screeching, metal gates slamming, the house groaning with the wind and every now and again a big gust would gently toll the bell in the tower and when all that is happening a bloody fox barks right outside the window!!!!! FFFUUUCCCKKKKK!!!! After a while you get used to it and you figure out where all the banging and rattling is coming from

BUT...

**** you Not!! The Fúcking Microwave turns on and off on its own accord, the bloody timer (digital) dial moves up ever so slowly and it just stops!!! Creepy..

its permanantly plugged out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Mankyspuds wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have gotten back on to you, I took AGES to get Eircom up off their arses so I could get a phone & broadband (12/02/11 believe it or not) I forgot that I posted on here about the place.

Anyway - What a place to live!!!! Rent is cheap, awesome place to hold parties I mean fúckin deadly spot, snooker table, landlords are cool. When I moved in at the start(on my own), it was proper creepy to begin with. Weather vane screeching, metal gates slamming, the house groaning with the wind and every now and again a big gust would gently toll the bell in the tower and when all that is happening a bloody fox barks right outside the window!!!!! FFFUUUCCCKKKKK!!!! After a while you get used to it and you figure out where all the banging and rattling is coming from

BUT...

**** you Not!! The Fúcking Microwave turns on and off on its own accord, the bloody timer (digital) dial moves up ever so slowly and it just stops!!! Creepy..

its permanantly plugged out

maybe your microwave is broken ? :confused:

just a wild stab in the dark ........

• Advertisement

robbie_998 wrote: »
    maybe your microwave is broken ? :confused:

just a wild stab in the dark ........

Of course its faulty :rolleyes: creepy none the less:eek:

Advertisement