Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helpful Links & Recommended Reading

• 22-03-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Stickied for the posting of helpful links & reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

The Royal Road To Card Magic is quite a good little read. It progresses through different sleights, shuffles, etc. at a fairly easy pace and gives a few tricks at the end of each chapter that you can try out using your new skills. It should be available in any good bookshop. I think I got mine in Easons but it was a good few years ago so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Popinjay wrote: »
    The Royal Road To Card Magic is quite a good little read. It progresses through different sleights, shuffles, etc. at a fairly easy pace and gives a few tricks at the end of each chapter that you can try out using your new skills. It should be available in any good bookshop. I think I got mine in Easons but it was a good few years ago so I'm not sure.

Do you have the ISBN number by any chance it make searching for it a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I googles the books name and found it with no problem .... Google is our friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

13 steps to mentalism and practical mental magic...also, if you can get any video's by banachek or richard osterlind...if your into mentalism of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭bigslick

I to will recommend. Not the book i first started out with but i definetly wish i had. Very consise book with not only tricks and sleights but also tips on presentation

13 steps by corinda is great from the little ive read of my copy (dam college work!:mad:)

I would also recommened the encyclopedia of card tricks by Hugard. is more for the beginner magician but gives a good grounding even if it contains alot of self working tricks

The Card College series by Roberto Giobbi is very good as well. there are 5 books so cost can mount up but they can be bought seperately and are basically the best book out there on card magic IMO

• Advertisement

Some great books & DVD on this site: http://www.magicbookshop.com

I'll be placing an order with them later in the week so I'll let you know how smooth the transaction is.

King Mob wrote: »
    Do you have the ISBN number by any chance it make searching for it a lot easier.

I dunno if you've found it yet but I'm in work at the moment and don't have the net at home. I'll check the ISBN tonight in any case and laet ya know tomorrow. I'd also recommend anything in the Tarbell Course in Magic series. I only have one of them at home - again ISBN tomorrow. Hiding the Elephant is a nice little number going through the history of vanishes and the use of mirrors. It has a few basic principles that I used to first start building my own illusions - author and ISBN tomorrow. There's also a great book called Magic and Showmanship which is more about polishing your act than anything else but also has a few nice little tricks in it - author and ISBN tomorrow too (I hope. I gave my copy to another magician as a gift and dunno if I can reach him).

On the novel front - Carter Beats the Divel by Glenn David Gould is a fantastic fictionalised version of the life of the late great Charles Carter.

That's all for now anywho.

Royal Road to Card Magic

# ISBN-10: 0486408434
    # ISBN-13: 978-0486408439

id also recommened for anyone who is looking to get into coin magic, Modern Coin Magic by bobo
    # ISBN-10: 0486242587
    # ISBN-13: 978-0486242583

I believe its the bible for all starting out on coin magic. have a copy myself but havent fully got into it, but from what ive read it is very easy to follow and has great wisdom.

on the non-instruction book front, id recommend David Blaines book Mysterious Stranger. Sure he may come across as a bit weird but his book is a very interesting look into his life and pure love for magic. but i could be biased here as me loves him :D

bigslick wrote: »
    on the non-instruction book front, id recommend David Blaines book Mysterious Stranger. Sure he may come across as a bit weird but his book is a very interesting look into his life and pure love for magic. but i could be biased here as me loves him :D

Thanks for the ISBN info.

On the non-instruction front I'd definitely recommend Derren Brown's Tricks of the Mind. It's quite autobiographical in many places but also does provide a bit of instruction including a very useful chapter for any illusionist on how to improve your memory. It's a pretty funny read too. Again, still in work so no ISBNs at the mo :o.

Yeah Derren Brown's book is very good from what ive read from it (dam college work :mad:) and would definetly recommend it to anyone.

# ISBN-10: 1905026269
    # ISBN-13: 978-1905026265

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 King of Kards

I recommend 'The Expert At The Card Table' by S.W Erdenase. It's the classic works of card magic, every magician should have it!

I recommend 'The Expert At The Card Table' by S.W Erdenase. It's the classic works of card magic, every magician should have it!

It has alway been on my list but just never got round to getting it due to that stupid thing called education :p Defo will pick up a copy sometime thou espicially with the currency being in our favour.

EDIT: I know ill always say ill get that another time, another time. so i just went and ordered it. Looking frward to getting in post.

Sorry folks. Got rather drunk after work yesterday as I hadn't seen most of my friends in the past week and a bit so a few of them wanted to meet for a pint. Couldn't see well enough to read an ISBN by the time I got home. Amazon and the like should have every book I've mentioned anyway,. At least that's where I got my copy of Magic and Showmanship but I can't check any sites selling stuff from work so I can't see if they still have them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I am a firm believer that every magician should have a copy of "Art of Astonishment" by Paul Harris (A series of three books). These books are a wealth of information. All kinds of effects are included, from mentalism, to coin work, to tricks using shoes and milkshakes.

For anyone new to the art I think that "Mark Wilson's Complete Course to Magic" is a fantastic introduction. It covers everything, coins, cards, stage work, the lot. It is also much easier to follow than either modern coin magic or card college. It's pretty cheap too, you should be able to pick up a copy for 25 odd quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Royal Road to Card Magic

# ISBN-10: 0486408434
    # ISBN-13: 978-0486408439

cheers for that mate, ordered it on play.com earlier for €11 inc postage

this forum has given me a bit of a kick in the arse to actually do something ive wanted to do for years and learn a few tricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

oeb wrote: »
    For anyone new to the art I think that "Mark Wilson's Complete Course to Magic" is a fantastic introduction. It covers everything, coins, cards, stage work, the lot. It is also much easier to follow than either modern coin magic or card college. It's pretty cheap too, you should be able to pick up a copy for 25 odd quid.

just picked this up for under €9 on amazon, thanks for the recommendation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 King of Kards

Get some of Jay Sankey's stuff he is the next best thing to Paul Harris.

But he is 100 times harder to watch. Beware as well, while sankey has some fantastic stuff out there, he also has an awful lot of crap.

Just recieved my 'Expert at the Card Table' in the post. Must say i cant wait to get stuck into it.

The structure is very like that of Bobo's 'Modern Coin Magic' and Sach's 'Sleight of Hand' which is excellent. Will defo be getting further into it in few days time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

oeb wrote: »

Ive got this book, and about 7 or 8 others (havent counted) taking up room if anyone wants them (free). Just various magic book at different levels, none fancy or valueable, but they might be of interest to someone starting out. All/most in good clean condition. You've got to collect them asap (South Dublin) and take the whole lot.

If anyone wants them, give me a PM (don't post here so as not to clutter the thread). They'll be gone in the next recycling bin if I don't hear from anyone shortly :pac:

Edit - King Mob has Pm'd first so he's got first dibs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Hackett

Expert card technique is a great book!

Ok feel free to post links to helpful resources. Where possible people include a small bit about the link.

Please, no phone numbers.

Time for some shameless self promotion.

I have a magic blog (Magic Ireland). I don't tend to update it as much as I should, but at the moment I have promised myself that I will start adding stuff bi-weekly. Expect the kind of information that I post here (In fact, some of the posts are duplicates of information that I have posted here), product (and store) reviews, and just various hints and tips that might help anyone starting off along their way.

I have also decided to do a series of interviews. I will be interviewing various working pros from around the place, but mostly focusing on Irish magicians. Expect to see information on their favorite effects, any tips they might have for anyone looking to go pro, how they feel about the level of exposure (reveals) in magic these days, what their feelings are on magic orginisations (IBM, Magic Circle etc) and that kind of lark. The first one will be going live early Thursday morning (12.30) and is a very detailed session with Ruairi O'Connor, a mentalist working in Dublin who deals with alot of large commercial clients (Magners etc).

Also, I would like to use this oppertunity to thank fellow M&I groupie ??? who has decided to help me out by contributing some posts.

So check it out, let me know if there is anything you want to see there, or even if you would like to contribute something yourself!

Just recieved my 'Expert at the Card Table' in the post. Must say i cant wait to get stuck into it.

The structure is very like that of Bobo's 'Modern Coin Magic' and Sach's 'Sleight of Hand' which is excellent. Will defo be getting further into it in few days time

Since we have heard no more about it. How are you doing with 'The Bible'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 James1969

IrishMagicNews is a new news, information and portal site by Irish magician Brendan Byrne. In addition to news stories of a local nature the site hosts full contact details for all magic societies in Ireland, convention information and a brief guide for visiting magicians and lecturers.

Edited by zuroph ; Snipped quite a bit here, the link is fine, but the post read too much like an advertisment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IrishMagicNews

James1969 wrote: »
    IrishMagicNews is a new news, information and portal site by Irish magician Brendan Byrne. In addition to news stories of a local nature the site hosts full contact details for all magic societies in Ireland, convention information and a brief guide for visiting magicians and lecturers.
    Edited by zuroph ; Snipped quite a bit here, the link is fine, but the post read too much like an advertisment.
    If letting people interested in magic know about a new non for profit magic news site for Ireland is advertising then I guess I am guilty. But certainly no guiltier then some of the posts before mine.

IrishMagicNews is a labour of love for me - not a money making excersise. It is intended to help magic grow in Ireland and act as a portal site for visitors to Ireland. Instead of endless searches to get sometimes out of date contact information people thinking of coming to Ireland, or indeed peple living here but with little or no knowledge of societies, now have a one stop shop.

Also in addition I hope that people will sign up for bulletins. It is the intention that when a lecture is organised or it is convention time everyone, whether in a seociety or not knows about it.

Advertisement? Maybe
    Helping out magicians? Yes
    Furthering the art of magic in Ireland? I certainly hope so.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

brendan, we're delighted to have you here. I didn't delete the posts, just edited it a bit. Looking forward to your contribution here. May i suggest a link to irelands fastest growing magic forum ;) if you have any questions about anything you'd like to post here, pop myself or 6th a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mrrobboi

ehh i think theodore annemann practical is quite a good book to read for developing personal effects

Advertisement