Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,759 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Walsh Park should be packed now

Great weather for hurling

Anyone looking for something too watch

https://youtu.be/wPJwDJ7h1ZQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

PTH2009 wrote: »

Class, first championship match I was ever at. Great memories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

deisedude wrote: »
    Class, first championship match I was ever at. Great memories

ah 1998, when hurling began for a lot of Waterford supporters. :D

I think the league final that year is what got me hooked. I'd been to plenty of games before it as a younger child but that was when I remember getting really into it. Looking back at the scoreline now, I had forgotten that we were well beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

redlead wrote: »

I think the league final that year is what got me hooked. I'd been to plenty of games before it as a younger child but that was when I remember getting really into it. Looking back at the scoreline now, I had forgotten that we were well beaten.

It was only the last 5 minutes that Cork pulled away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

PTH2009 wrote: »

That Flynn free on 71mins is a bit haunting to watch back, had it been a few feet to the left who knows how the course of history could’ve changed...

Possibly Inter county championships in October

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Club in August. Will it be knockout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

thesultan wrote: »
    Club in August. Will it be knockout?

Will have to be to accommodate dual clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

redlead wrote: »

I was like 9 to be fair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0606/1145887-where-stands-waterford-hurling-after-two-grim-summers/

A perspective on the state of Waterford hurling since 2017 with input from Paul Flynn, thought it was a good read.

With intercounty players having to cancel travel arrangements due to the pandemic, does anyone know is Devine back around or had he been away?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0606/1145887-where-stands-waterford-hurling-after-two-grim-summers/

A perspective on the state of Waterford hurling since 2017 with input from Paul Flynn, thought it was a good read.

With intercounty players having to cancel travel arrangements due to the pandemic, does anyone know is Devine back around or had he been away?

Tom came back to Waterford to help out in the current crisis, likely still around with travel restrictions. but he was on the Damien tiernan show and was asked about the hurling and he pretty much said he is done with intercounty hurling now. I still think he is a massive loss to us, added physicality to our forward line, but would have to respect his choices and in coming home to help fight the covid crisis he has shown what a decent and loyal person he is.

Hes back around,but to best my knowledge,on medical advice he cant play again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Fairly on the money with that whole perspective. 2018 was just a disaster between rotten luck with injuries, the goal that never was and then the ‘home venue’ situation (Waterford co board infamously rolled over allowed that BS to happen).

2019 then it just all continued to spiral further downhill. Nobody wanted the job after Derek McGrath. At least 3 people turned it down which must have been demoralising for the players. They ended up giving it to Fanning out of panic. He wasn’t up to the challenge but with McGrath spouting crap in the media, sparring a tit for tat public debate on Waterford hurling, he never had a chance anyway. The players then threw in the towel (despicably). We looked like we could finally turn the corner under Cahill when COVID hit and hopefully after a period of reflection we will see us turn that corner and back challenging for AI honours.
    We need to put this catastrophic period behind us,.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Fairly on the money with that whole perspective. 2018 was just a disaster between rotten luck with injuries, the goal that never was and then the ‘home venue’ situation (Waterford co board infamously rolled over allowed that BS to happen).

2019 then it just all continued to spiral further downhill. Nobody wanted the job after Derek McGrath. At least 3 people turned it down which must have been demoralising for the players. They ended up giving it to Fanning out of panic. He wasn’t up to the challenge but with McGrath spouting crap in the media, sparring a tit for tat public debate on Waterford hurling, he never had a chance anyway. The players then threw in the towel (despicably). We looked like we could finally turn the corner under Cahill when COVID hit and hopefully after a period of reflection we will see us turn that corner and back challenging for AI honours.
    We need to put this catastrophic period behind us,.

This Covid is a real opportunity , it resets all the teams back to a similar level, could see a real surprise happening whenever hurling returns

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Has anyone heard any talk of potential championship structures for the club scene? County teams can train from September 14th, I’d be amazed if club activity wasn’t halted then rather than October 11th. That gives 6 weeks to play off the full hurling & football championships. You’d do well to get one fully played off, no chance at all of two so one, if not both, will probably run into November, December or even January... depending how the county teams fare out.

Straight knock out

Jesus they stuck to the same format with 3 games in a week and a half

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Nicky88

I loves me county boi

thesultan wrote: »
    Jesus they stuck to the same format with 3 games in a week and a half

Different, was 3 groups of 4, now 4 groups of 3. Each club will play two games in a week, top two in groups advance. About as fair as it gets given time constraints.

https://twitter.com/KilrossantyGAA/status/1270690512429813760?s=20

• Advertisement

Different, was 3 groups of 4, now 4 groups of 3. Each club will play two games in a week, top two in groups advance. About as fair as it gets given time constraints.

https://twitter.com/KilrossantyGAA/status/1270690512429813760?s=20

Yes & no.
    It’s obviously a very difficult position for the fixtures committee. But running off hurling championships in 30 days, with football only being pencilled in for group stages isn’t really good enough. After that it seems to be a case of wait and see how things pan out for the intercounty teams and get back to it after. Probably with league games taking place while the intercounty goes on.
    It’s certainly not the 10 week club window it’s made out to be! And even at that you can almost guarantee there will be county trainings taking place during the club championship.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Yes & no.
    It’s obviously a very difficult position for the fixtures committee. But running off hurling championships in 30 days, with football only being pencilled in for group stages isn’t really good enough. After that it seems to be a case of wait and see how things pan out for the intercounty teams and get back to it after. Probably with league games taking place while the intercounty goes on.
    It’s certainly not the 10 week club window it’s made out to be! And even at that you can almost guarantee there will be county trainings taking place during the club championship.

They've no choice though regarding running them off separately given the dual club issue. I get your point re the football, hope it's not put on hold to facilitate County training.

The GAA scheduling causes issues too, like contact training for only 11 days prior to start of the championship, and then saying they can be run until 11th October, 4 days before the start of the inter county championship? They didn't exactly give them huge scope to be fair.

Could they have left inter County training off until October

They've no choice though regarding running them off separately given the dual club issue. I get your point re the football, hope it's not put on hold to facilitate County training.

The GAA scheduling causes issues too, like contact training for only 11 days prior to start of the championship, and then saying they can be run until 11th October, 4 days before the start of the inter county championship? They didn't exactly give them huge scope to be fair.

Ya I agree. Once you say training can start in September this was always a likely scenario and I’m sure it will be replicated across a number of counties.
    I half expect the GAA will speed things up yet and allow contact training prior to when they have said so far.

Possibility of one challenge game before championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I thought gaa president said that county training wouldn't be funded or covered by insurance until 5 weeks before the championship start date in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

any word yet on whether club games in Waterford will be streamed live on a pay per view type format? I see limerick and some other counties are doing this, looks like a good idea to me. people get to see games, not sure if crowds will be allowed into grounds, and a revenue generator for county board too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Living abroad so can't say I've been keeping a huge amount up to date with the ongoing GAA season situation as I just assumed it was more or less just going to be scrapped for the season...but seems like it'll start up in October now? Honestly what's the point? Would they not just bin it for the season and start fresh in 2021, maybe just go with the club championships for this year.
    Championship hurling is all about playing in summer, not trying to squeeze it out over a few weeks in the muck, rain and sh!t of October/November...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cake Man wrote: »
    Living abroad so can't say I've been keeping a huge amount up to date with the ongoing GAA season situation as I just assumed it was more or less just going to be scrapped for the season...but seems like it'll start up in October now? Honestly what's the point? Would they not just bin it for the season and start fresh in 2021, maybe just go with the club championships for this year.
    Championship hurling is all about playing in summer, not trying to squeeze it out over a few weeks in the muck, rain and sh!t of October/November...

Disagree completely. They are fully correct to play club and county championship albeit in a shorter format as long as it is safe to do so. The organisation is mainly about games after all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement