Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for thought re Gambling

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

akelly02 wrote: »
    so you think ruby walsh is employed by paddy power to purposely give out tips he knows will lose ?

It is not out of the question. He worked with them when he was riding also.

What he is definately doing is muddying the waters and getting punters second guessing themselves. The more options a punter has , the more mistakes and bad decisions they will make.

I would never listen to his tips. Not the ones he gives on pp anyway. It would be nice to know when his horses are trying.... but he is never tipping that.

I do like his race analysis however, it can be very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

carq wrote: »
    Wasn't the case for me in 2018 with AIB but could be different now.

Same for me 2018 EBS, but since then I know of 2 different banks asking for it if there's deposits from your c/a.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Just finished my house had awful bother due to bet 365 deposits had to wait 6 months to clear up accounts even though everything else was well within the criteria told me it was a risk assholes BOI. All good now relaxing in my new house with a savage flat screen to watch Cheltenham

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

stretchaq wrote: »
    Just finished my house had awful bother due to bet 365 deposits had to wait 6 months to clear up accounts even though everything else was well within the criteria told me it was a risk assholes BOI. All good now relaxing in my new house with a savage flat screen to watch Cheltenham

****ers. Thankfully bought before all this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭droidman123

Its not nonsense,you really expect a bank to give a loan to someone who has an account with an online bookie? I wouldnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Its not nonsense,you really expect a bank to give a loan to someone who has an account with an online bookie? I wouldnt

It’s depend I had 3 €20 deposits over 5 months was hardly jp McManus or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

A person who bets assesses risks.
    In 2006 I tried to persuade a work colleague whose son was taking out a 500k loan on his first house that his son should wait.
    The property bubble was ridiculous and the stock market was well overpriced.
    I was told his son had to get into the housing market before prices took off, and the EU would not allow a collapse.

If we learned anything (and obviously we didn't) it is that the financial sector, the people who assess borrowers suitability, are bottom of the rankings at assessing risk.
    How about asking the person with the online bookmaker account for a copy of his transactions to see how much he won or lost, and over what time period?

Context is king.

Seeing a 20/30e a week deposit to PP is hardly worthy of refusing a mortgage for someone. What if this guy making these 20/30e deposits earned 75/100k a year? And his wife the same. Should they be refused a mortgage based on his PP account?

If the next guy applying for a mortgage is making 100/200e deposits to PP a week, and earns 40k a year? And his wife similar? Should they be refused a mortgage based on his PP account?

By all accounts, there seems to be a blanket approach to betting with mortgage providers, regardless of whats going into PP and what someone earns. Thats the nonsense aspect of it.

I know Central Bank compliance is absolutely massive, but i dont believe this stance is right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Abstained from all my online accounts for nearly 2 and a half years while I was saving. Common sense really. Don't give the banks any reason to question your accounts.

Agree also with Slattsy though. Someone on 70/80k depositing €20 a week isn't that much in the grand scheme of things!

The Mig wrote: »
    Abstained from all my online accounts for nearly 2 and a half years while I was saving. Common sense really. Don't give the banks any reason to question your accounts.

Agree also with Slattsy though. Someone on 70/80k depositing €20 a week isn't that much in the grand scheme of things!

If you have to do it, you have to do it. That's the way it is of course, you've no excuse. I just don't agree with it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Slattsy wrote: »
    If you have to do it, you have to do it. That's the way it is of course, you've no excuse. I just don't agree with it!
    All worth it in the end though. In debt for the next 35 years :pac:

The Mig wrote: »
    All worth it in the end though. In debt for the next 35 years :pac:

Die with it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The banks will only use the gambling deposits as an excuse if they do not want to give you a loan.

If you have the necessary deposit and can prove you are capable of paying them back, have a letter from your employer etc then you are good to go. The banks will not throw away business over a couple of deposits to an online bookie, they want to loan you the money.

You need 6 months clean bank statements, if you want to be certain. So anyone contemplating a loan needs to top up for Cheltenham, Aintree, Punchestown, Fairyhouse, Chester, Epsom, and the Guineas … now.

Shops like Paddy Power will allow you make cash deposits.

Eitherways, sticking to cash backing for 6 months won't kill you. Get off your arse and down to the bookies and have a bet.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The banks will only use the gambling deposits as an excuse if they do not want to give you a loan.

If you have the necessary deposit and can prove you are capable of paying them back, have a letter from your employer etc then you are good to go. The banks will not throw away business over a couple of deposits to an online bookie, they want to loan you the money.

You need 6 months clean bank statements, if you want to be certain. So anyone contemplating a loan needs to top up for Cheltenham, Aintree, Punchestown, Fairyhouse, Chester, Epsom, and the Guineas … now.

Shops like Paddy Power will allow you make cash deposits.

Eitherways, sticking to cash backing for 6 months won't kill you. Get off your arse and down to the bookies and have a bet.

If you have to go the bookies there's a fair chance you'll stop in for a sneaky pint or three though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭del roy

very sad story....

Online gambling firm closes following 'tragic case' of punter who gambled £4m
    The Gambling Commission: found systemic failings at PT Entertainment Services
    The Gambling Commission: found systemic failings at PT Entertainment Services
    1 of 1

By Bill Barber
    UPDATED 6:00PM, MAY 27 2020

An online gambling operator allowed a customer to gamble more than £4 million in the space of a few months without checks before he took his own life.

A Gambling Commission investigation into PT Entertainment Services (PTES), a subsidiary of Playtech that ran Titanbet and Winner, began after the regulator was contacted by the family of the man who had died in April 2017, aged 25.

The commission found that the operator, which closed during the investigation, failed to carry out any responsible gambling customer interactions on the man, named by the Daily Mail as Chris Bruney, even though it was aware that several of his debit card transactions had been declined.

He was also provided with VIP status without verifying that he could afford to spend the amounts of money he was playing with.

On December 29, 2016, an internal email was sent pointing out that the customer had incurred a net loss of £22,000 and that PTES did not know his occupation.

However, the regulator said PTES gave "no consideration" to social responsibility or problem gambling checks and instead invited him to take part in a promotion with the chance to win more than £3.5m.

During the period between December 26 2016 and April 2017, the customer bet a total of £4,458,782, with a total win of £4,465,007, on roulette and blackjack live and in the period between April 1 and 5 2017 he deposited and lost £119,395.

PTES would have faced a financial penalty of £3.5m from the Commission if it had not surrendered its licence.

Before then, PTES made a number of financial settlement offers which the Commission regarded as "seriously deficient".

PTES proceeded to donate £619,395 to charity while Playtech has also pledged to donate a total of £5m to mental health and gambling-related harm charities over the next five years.

Gambling Commission chief executive Neil McArthur said: "This is a tragic case which came to light after I was contacted by the family of the young man who very sadly took his own life.

"I want to thank them for their bravery in bringing his case to our attention and we are grateful for the way they have worked with us in such terrible circumstances so that we could understand what happened."

McArthur said the case again highlighted the issues surrounding so-called 'VIP' accounts.

He said: "Although PTES has ceased trading we decided to complete our investigation and publish our findings, as the lessons from this tragic case must be learned by all operators.

"Our investigations into the role played by key individuals at PTES are continuing. As such, it would be inappropriate to say more about the specific case at this time.

"This case – like so many others we have seen – illustrates why the management of so-called 'high value customers' has to change. Operators must do everything in their power to interact with customers responsibly. We will shortly be opening a consultation to make permanent changes to the way operators recruit and incentivise high value customers."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

When are the bookies re opening?

When are the bookies re opening?

I'd like to know as well.. Surely someone on here has a notion.... Can't find any info at all on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

29th of June lads. That's paddy power anyway

One of the managers in a shop here in Galway said it to me on Saturday and that the staff will be in around the week before for training and to get ready

Andrew00 wrote: »
    29th of June lads. That's paddy power anyway

One of the managers in a shop here in Galway said it to me on Saturday and that the staff will be in around the week before for training and to get ready

That's great news Andrew, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Broke my own promise to myself and opened online account
    Feel dirty, but had great craic backing mad price yokes in Will Rogers Downs and some mountain range in France!

• Advertisement

FWIW, that I Ortiz is some boy!

Feel dirty, but had great craic backing mad price yokes in Will Rogers Downs and some mountain range in France!

I opened one yesterday too. Shutting it down minute bookies open

I opened one yesterday too. Shutting it down minute bookies open

That's my plan too

Couldn't do it I'm afraid. I would lose the run of myself with it whereas handing over folding money makes me give it serious thought. And I love getting back hard cash over the counter( plus Louise behind the counter fancies me!)

Couldn't do it I'm afraid. I would lose the run of myself with it whereas handing over folding money makes me give it serious thought. And I love getting back hard cash over the counter( plus Louise behind the counter fancies me!)

Is Louise fit

Is Louise fit

She'll be all over me after the shutdown!:o:o

Andrew.... Are you "Galway Don".....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭naughto

Have it on my phone for a good few yrs now I would get a lot of tips late after the owners have there money down or not to bet if the horse was out for a run.

Its handy to watch the market if I get a tip and see the price fall.

Advertisement