Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Keenan

• 14-01-2020 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Someone help me understand.

I'm not even sure that Alternative and Indie is the right category for what he does. But i can't think of anywhere any better suited.

I know that Glen Hansard is partially responsible for his emergence - and I actually like The Frames and even some (some) of Hansard's solo stuff - so I'm not folk-allergic or anything - but I just don't get this.

That delivery, and his general schtick - I can't be the only one that finds it insincere, cynical and most of all pretentious as f**k?

From the songs to the singing style to the hair to the clothing to the Twitter persona - he's pretending to be someone he isn't - that's not what people from Dundalk are like - far from coming from his soul as he'd like you believe, it's all so calculated, false and affected - how can people be lapping this up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭bullpost

I like the pic of a young Gilbert O'Sullivan on the front cover of his album :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yeah, I find him incredibly insincere but the Irish seem to lap this crap up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭lucalux

What are people from Dundalk like?
    I don't understand what is insincere about his voice or lyrics or music to people, but I'm interested in why he seems that way

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

lucalux wrote:
    What are people from Dundalk like? I don't understand what is insincere about his voice or lyrics or music to people, but I'm interested in why he seems that way

Well, for example, people from Dundalk aren't usually pretentious and wanky. That's what I mean. Does that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭lucalux

Not a huge help in understanding what you mean, no, sorry.
    Pretentious how? Wanky how? Specifically I mean.
    He's not doing anything terribly new as I see it.

I think it's great to see music being conceived all over the country. The more the merrier. Does it have to fulfil certain criteria according to the county it stems from? If you don't like the style of his music, that's one thing and that's cool, we all have preferences.

Labelling it as not authentic Dundalk confuses me.

Not sure how you'd like music from Dundalk or Louth to sound really.
    Any examples of authentic Dundalk artists/musicians for me to check out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Indiebomber

I think he is fantastic. The best thing to happen to Irish music in a long time.....regard how he dress or looks ...do you think that Tom waits looks like that by mistake!?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

just typical irish begrudgery of a boy done gud....

how dare he look and sound different, shure who doe she think he is??

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

He doesn't look and sound different. He looks and sounds like the quintessential pretentious arse.

There's nothing genuine about his schtick - it's god-awful guff that you happen to have fallen for. Good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

He doesn't look and sound different. He looks and sounds like the quintessential pretentious arse.

There's nothing genuine about his schtick - it's god-awful guff that you happen to have fallen for. Good luck to you.

We can long mock the ignorance of the casual music fan :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Here dude, if you don't like hime don't listen to him, and don't start a thread on boards to have a whinge about him being 'wanky' whatever the fu-ck that is.?

I will clarify that I am in no way looking for a definition. Just asking you please contribute something worthwhile if you want to have a discussion but from your first few posts in here I don't think you are.

Mod Hat: From here on just discuss the music, what's good what's bad. Leave the comments on looks etc aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

At least he's not jock pop which is what a lot of Irish like to lap up these days.

Granadino wrote: »
    At least he's not jock pop which is what a lot of Irish like to lap up these days.

a lot of the irish lap u it p what jerry cinamon sure we do :pac:

Never heard of him..

He is doing the whole generic-music-hipster-that-really-liked-the-peaky-blinders thing..

Shur they're all at that these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

a lot of the irish lap u it p what jerry cinamon sure we do :pac:

Could you try that again in English?:confused:

Edit: I've figured out what you wrote. I never heard Gerry Cinnamon, but checked him out now, and he wouldn't be my cup of tea at all, but I wouldn't call him jock pop. He's more on the Oasis side of things, which wouldn't be my cup of tea either.

Granadino wrote: »
    Could you try that again in English?:confused:

Edit: I've figured out what you wrote. I never heard Gerry Cinnamon, but checked him out now, and he wouldn't be my cup of tea at all, but I wouldn't call him jock pop. He's more on the Oasis side of things, which wouldn't be my cup of tea either.

I have no idea what I was saying,possibly had a few light ales at the time :pac:

Advertisement