Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

neris wrote: »
    youd easily do greystones or arklow to kilmore in one go. Longish day but doable

That's what I'd shoot for anyway, marina to marina.
    With the OH and a 5yo, I wouldn't want to be tying up on harbour walls, or alongside trawlers.

most likely it'll be a trip for next year anyway.

What I would love to try and do this year would be Dublin - Carlingford - Ardglass - Peel, all fairly short hops, but depends on how things re-open throughout the rest of the summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

We were in Dunmore last year and there's a visitors pontoon in the harbour but you've to raft up on it and if there's a cruise ship visiting Waterford they kick all the yachts out to use as a landing point for passengers coming off the ship

We were in Dunmore last year and there's a visitors pontoon in the harbour but you've to raft up on it and if there's a cruise ship visiting Waterford they kick all the yachts out to use as a landing point for passengers coming off the ship

good to know about the cruise ships in Waterford, I'd need to plan accordingly, and if Dunmore East was busy, I could always press on up the river to the city.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Doubt there will be any cruise ships this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭eagerv

When our youngest was 4 months old we cruised the southwest for a few weeks.
    The most memorable places were where there was no marina. For example Oysterhaven, Glandore, Schull, Crookhaven, Few places in Bantry Bay and on the way home Ballycotton and a mooring buoy in Dunmore East. Always slept so much better on a buoy or at anchor. Loved the peacefulness of the beautiful places.

The few places where we stayed in a Marina were always busy, often rafting out. Except for Lawrence cove which was excellent. The shop, pub and cafe gave us a present for our baby when leaving after three days there.:)
    Don't get me wrong, I keep our boat in Kilmore Quay Marina which is excellent, but I often pity the folks arriving and having to raft out when busy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭nokiatom

The South East region of Ireland comprises counties Wexford, Waterford, Carlow, Kilkenny and Tipperary. They all started using the Wexford slogan when Bord Fáilte split into regional areas and grouped counties together. The phrase "The Sunny South East" was the brainchild of the late Billy Kelly of Kellys Hotel Rosslare, grandfather of the present owner also called Billy. A group of businessmen were looking for ways to attract more tourists to the area And Mr Kelly came up with his now famous slogan. According to Met Eireann Carnsore point, which in Wexford and is the South East tip of the country, on average has more hours of sunshine per year than any other part of the country. All the above counties are in the South East but only one, Wexford, is The Sunny South East.:p:):)
    Youghal which is in Co Cork is often regarded to be in the sunny south east!!

Doesn't Cork airport also advertise itself as a gateway to 'Irelands Ancient East'

https://www.corkairport.com/news/detail/2016/11/24/ireland-s-ancient-east-promotional-campaign-launched

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Doesn't Cork airport also advertise itself as a gateway to 'Irelands Ancient East'

https://www.corkairport.com/news/detail/2016/11/24/ireland-s-ancient-east-promotional-campaign-launched

There's East Cork and West Cork.

East Cork is designated part of 'Irelands Ancient East' and then West Cork is part of the 'Wild Atlantic Way'....starts in Kinsale I think.

Heard Irelands Eye is out of bounds for anyone out of Howth or Malahide. No access is allowed and there was a recent issue on the island that involved the Gardai. Anyone know any thing about that?

I was out last Sunday and went as far as Irelands eye, but didn't see anyone on the island, or any boats at anchor and would assume the little ferry from Howth isn't running!!

Saw the usual few fishing boats around the island, but no landing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Heard Irelands Eye is out of bounds for anyone out of Howth or Malahide. No access is allowed and there was a recent issue on the island that involved the Gardai. Anyone know any thing about that?

I understood all islands along with their ferry services were placed off limits to non residents early in this crisis and boaters were specifically asked not to breach the islands quarantine by travelling to and landing on (inhabited?) islands.

But there's always someone who's "cleverer" than the rest of us sheeple.

Anyone know the whereabouts of this little yoke

Screenshot-20200529-133724-Samsung-Internet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I got out with the kids the other evening off Greystones, it's great that they are at the stage where they can launch and be told wait in the harbour until I come around, there is a lot to be said for kids doing Frostbites to get their confidence and boat handling up to speed!
    We headed out for a while then rafted up for a chat and a snack, the muppet in the kayak was looking for a tow home so I pointed out that if he had enough energy to annoy his sister then he had more than enough energy to paddle home, he then made rookie mistake number one and told me that we was just going to hang onto the line, the expression on his face when I reminded that there were two end on a line then cast him off was priceless :D

514830.jpg

With the restrictions of movement being extended to countywide on Monday, does this mean we can visit other harbours/marinas in the same county? Would love a spin around to Dun Laoghaire for a night if we get a nice weekend.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

With the restrictions of movement being extended to countywide on Monday, does this mean we can visit other harbours/marinas in the same county? Would love a spin around to Dun Laoghaire for a night if we get a nice weekend.....

Don't see why not.

I'd ring the marina first to see if they are accepting visitors.

Steve wrote: »
    I'd ring the marina first to see if they are accepting visitors.

Oh absolutely, that would go without saying.

And I’d imagine if they are accepting visitors, their facilities would still be closed off, but that would be up to each marina to plan for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

According to Irish Sailing, it sounds like that would be fine.

As Steve said, I'd be checking with DL marina first though.

https://www.sailing.ie/Coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR3d3b_D04_bra-MvDBQg2ngvIWZ9SynRYChIH6Ahu84koi-QxJhGbfhdAI

Summers over your a week late :D

Summers over your a week late :D

Was off all this week, so at least got a few nice days out on the water!!

Shout out to the guy anchored off Ireland’s Eye on Tuesday who ran aground at low tide!!

• Advertisement

Don't think he's a howth boat

Don't think he's a howth boat

Didn’t look it as when he weighed anchor, he headed around towards the Bailey.

He was in Ireland’s Eye when we arrived, and only returned to his boat when she started to list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

More info published here:

Phase 2 Personal FAQs

When can I work on / lift in my boat?
    Monday 18th of May, boat yards, marinas, and other marine leisure business were opened to facilitate essential maintenance, lifting and security of boats. From Monday 8th of June if your boat is within your county or 20km from home (Ph2+) and Nationwide (Ph3).

When can I go sailing?
    In Phase 2+ single handed or mixed household multi-handed supervised and non-supervised activity, as well as day sailing, windsurfing or powerboating once maintaining social distancing of 2m and travel within your county or 20km from home (Ph2+) and Nationwide (Ph3).

In phase 2+ can I go Sailing in my own boat with members of other households if I can maintain Social Distancing?
    Yes mixed household crew for multi handers in compliance with social distancing.
    ​~ So, if you have a boat big enough to sail with social distancing then it is a good chance to see what is possible in a non-competitive environment.
    ~ You do your own risk assessment and protocols to see what is possible.

I am over 70, when can I go sailing?
    Current guidelines state that “those who are cocooning can leave their homes in line with current travel restrictions to exercise or a drive as long as they avoid all contact with other people.” If you can comply with this restriction, then sailing, windsurfing and powerboating are considered as ‘exercise’.

Are marinas accepting visiting boats?
    Irish Sailing are seeking confirmation from Marina Operators, in the meantime check before you travel.

What is meant by ‘Home Port’?
    “Home port” in this document refers to your launch site or where your boat currently lies. It may be possible to end your trip in a different port if both are within current travel restrictions.
    Does the 20km / travel within county distance apply to my boating area?
    The travel restrictions apply for travel to your boat or launch site to prevent the spread between counties. Whilst on the open water there is minimal risk of spread of the virus within the county shoreline.

Can I anchor offshore overnight?
    Yes

Can I sail to visit another harbour?
    Yes as long as it is within your own County or 20km from your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Decathlon are open beside Ikea

Do they do much nautical stuff? Clothing?

A place to avoid for the next while until the hype dies off. Their sailing gear is good.

Drove in and straight out earlier still big ques

Drove in and straight out earlier still big ques

the talk on the EV forum (because they have 10 EV chargers installed outside) is that the wait was about 10 minutes to get in at one stage today...

Just aswell the Round Ireland's not starting tomorrow. Looks miserable

20200619-160444.jpg

• Advertisement

Advertisement