Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Got new dog, wasn't microchipped

Options
  • 24-05-2020 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We recently bought a new dog and have discovered that it is not microchipped. We previously got a dog from the same place and everything was fine then, so assumed it would be now. Obviously it's our fault for not checking.

How do we go about rectifying this? I've seen various things online about the level of severity of this (€5000 fine / 6 months in jail?!). Can we just go to the vet and sort it all out? How do we "prove" ownership? Are we liable for any fines etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

jaakathlar wrote: »
    We recently bought a new dog and have discovered that it is not microchipped. We previously got a dog from the same place and everything was fine then, so assumed it would be now. Obviously it's our fault for not checking.

How do we go about rectifying this? I've seen various things online about the level of severity of this (€5000 fine / 6 months in jail?!). Can we just go to the vet and sort it all out? How do we "prove" ownership? Are we liable for any fines etc?

Only a paternity test will do. You can send me the €5,000 fine :P

Just go to the vet and get it chipped. Unless I'm mistaken, it's literally that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Give the vet a call. They may not consider chipping essential with the current situation.. if the dog needs vaccinations I'd assume they'd chip it at the same time though. They'll be able to tell you what's needed.

You're not the one liable to get in trouble, it's the 'breeder' who broke the law. As others said just arrange with your vet to have the dog microchipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 IsIt Miturn

First off, congrats on your new dog, secondly, if you rescued instead of bought, you would have had a fully vaccinated, wormed and microchipped dog! Last but not least, ring your vet and book in for a microchip. They will scan your dog too to make sure it definitely isn't chipped, chip the dog if it isn't, and give you all of the appropriate paperwork to register yourself as the owner. No more than 70€.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

We just got 3 month old puppy her second jabs and chip. €70 in total. Vet collects from the car outside and returns 10 minutes later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

First off, congrats on your new dog, secondly, if you rescued instead of bought, you would have had a fully vaccinated, wormed and microchipped dog! Last but not least, ring your vet and book in for a microchip. They will scan your dog too to make sure it definitely isn't chipped, chip the dog if it isn't, and give you all of the appropriate paperwork to register yourself as the owner. No more than 70€.

That all depends - just as there are responsible and irresponsible breeders, so there are rescues who also don't chip, vaccinate or worm dogs.

I believe that it's in the charter of this forum not to castigate people for not rescuing a pet.

Advertisement