Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Short Movie (7 pages) Feedback please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Hi DbD
    Thanks for posting your movie. Unfortunately I know nothing about scripts so I can’t really give any advice good or bad. I wonder if there’s a board related specifically to movie/video scripts out there?
    In terms of content, I wonder if you have done much research, or have personal experience of, delusional schizophrenia? I have to say the story doesn’t really ring true for me, it feels more like you’re using a mental illness as a handy plot twist, but then you may be speaking from direct experience in which case I’m sorry. If that is the case though then you may need to abandon the plot twist to explore more of the emotional hell that the woman is experiencing.
    Kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

It is too descriptive for a script. "Fear finds a home in her" is more novel like. Just say "she is frightened"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hi All,

This is something that I am going to try and get filmed in the coming months. I would appreciate any productive feedback. Thanks in advance.

Movie is called "Crawl", and deals with a paralyzed woman who get a visit in the night

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RFUHa7mbX8B3tQ-94F7zg0hAAqeZr4Xd/view?usp=sharing

Anything but dialogue should read like notes to the director. If you give notes to actors be very specific.

Set the scene like you would describe it to a scene director or set director. How would someone storyboard this?
    She tries again to pierce the inky black door.

If you need an inky black door make a note to the set director. Be aware this isn't always going to possible. Your actress could be staring into a green door.
    You don't need to describe the door to your actors or the audience. It's there.

You do need to say 'she shivers etc'. But bear in mind this is also direction. And the director or the actress might decide not to do it.
    The bedroom door is open. Her eyes try to pierce the darkness beyond etc

You can say this to actors etc. And ask them in auditions to do it. I have been asked to do some odd things in auditions.

Bear in mind again this is more like notes to a director. The reason for this is he is likely the only one to know what the lighting the set if its actually going to be an inky door or a black door in the end. And he has to fit into all that the actors performance with the set the camera angles etc.

The other thing is ...there are holes. Where did she get the scissors?

Also
    Before fear even shuts her down, its hands move in less than

a split second to the upper and lower part of her jaw-
    forcing it open, it continues to pull her jaw open as she

screams.

Think of the image you wish in your head. And describe it logically to the director and actor. Describe the technical specifications of the frame you want the lighting you want.

Camera cuts to close up of Kate's face. Kate slowly draws her jaw down while screaming. Her eyes are drawn wide.

Also what kind of shot is going to be used?

Basic Camera directions are something every screenwriter should know.

For example the end shot showing the medication bottle could be a POV shot. The director and actors will know what you mean. Its a shot that usually goes from the character to a thing the character is looking at then back to them for a reaction. Its showing the character's points of view. There are lots of ways of doing it. The above is a bit simple. Obv a camerman and a director will understand how to do one better than me or you. But there are lots of different ways they can be done. You also need to do an insert for both the scissors and the medication bottle. An insert is a shot that focuses on a certain detail. But you have to make them artistic. Like an insert on a cigarette could show smoke going up a certain dramatic way. Or the scissors insert could be inspired by a painting.

Look at still life with scissors by christina clare.
    https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/still-life-with-scissors-christina-clare.jpg

Or your insert could contain a SHADOW of the scissors on the wall just behind the scissors. That resembles the shadow creature you showed before.

Your insert of the medication bottle could have the bottle rolling to and fro.

Instead of saying 'An unspecified amount of time passes'. Just say 'dissolved to'. The director and cameraman will know what you mean.

Also as well as saying fade out at the end. You are supposed write a fade in at the beginning.

You might also need to do' an angle on' shot for when bill runs in at the end. That is another shot from another angle of a scene that has just been done. The angle on would be what bill sees.

You have to think in terms of camera angles etc. Giving information that way to actors is going to be much more useful to them.

Camera has its own storytelling. Trained actors will know and understand camera direction.

Just a note on insert shots ...they are the one thing can make something look really weird if you don't do them and also the thing that if done wrong look odd. You have to make them fit in with consistent lighting and artistry. The bottle has to look as if its part of a murder scene even if in a real murder scene it would look normal. The scissors too ..but don't be unnecessarily gory.

While directors don't like to be told what to do. They need to be often. Screenplays need Camera directions.

Also regarding researching schizophrenia etc ...might be a good idea. Why does she need to have schizophrenia?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Honestly as someone who was an actor. Reading a screenplay without camera directions would be dizzying.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=404

There is a film production forum. Its mostly empty though.

Also if you choose not to or are told not to write camera direction or set direction.

Then you must write virutally nothing beyond the dialogue and basic emoting for the actors. For example where the actors eye line goes etc (at the inky black door) is going to be up to the director. And he is going to write camera directions that will give this impression to the audience. Having the actor look at the door and shooting it with a wide shot isn't going to do that, its not going to be conveyed.

Your script for the actors at least has to include camera direction relevant to them.

Also regarding schizophrenia. As far as i know an hallucination would not stop someone with schizophrenia perceiving real life people in the room. I am not sure about hallucinating someone is a shadow etc. But I do know schizophrenics do see things like shadows etc. Also someone with schizophrenia would not suddenly come to reality just because their husband entered the room. They would still be in the hallucination.

However most never become violent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I thought it was a bit dull, but I suppose a lot of scripts without the film would be. I thought the reaction of the father was unrealistic.

"Oh my God Kate what the **** have you done to our boy"

"Our ****ING little boy!!!"

The liberal usage of the word "****" with genteel phrases like "Oh my God" and "little boy" just doesn't compute with me, but then, if you find your wife has stabbed your son I suppose it's not beyond the realm of possibility that one would speak that way.

• Advertisement

Anything but dialogue should read like notes to the director. If you give notes to actors be very specific.

Set the scene like you would describe it to a scene director or set director. How would someone storyboard this?

If you need an inky black door make a note to the set director. Be aware this isn't always going to possible. Your actress could be staring into a green door.
    You don't need to describe the door to your actors or the audience. It's there.

You do need to say 'she shivers etc'. But bear in mind this is also direction. And the director or the actress might decide not to do it.

You can say this to actors etc. And ask them in auditions to do it. I have been asked to do some odd things in auditions.

Bear in mind again this is more like notes to a director. The reason for this is he is likely the only one to know what the lighting the set if its actually going to be an inky door or a black door in the end. And he has to fit into all that the actors performance with the set the camera angles etc.

The other thing is ...there are holes. Where did she get the scissors?

Also

Think of the image you wish in your head. And describe it logically to the director and actor. Describe the technical specifications of the frame you want the lighting you want.

Camera cuts to close up of Kate's face. Kate slowly draws her jaw down while screaming. Her eyes are drawn wide.

Also what kind of shot is going to be used?

Basic Camera directions are something every screenwriter should know.

For example the end shot showing the medication bottle could be a POV shot. The director and actors will know what you mean. Its a shot that usually goes from the character to a thing the character is looking at then back to them for a reaction. Its showing the character's points of view. There are lots of ways of doing it. The above is a bit simple. Obv a camerman and a director will understand how to do one better than me or you. But there are lots of different ways they can be done. You also need to do an insert for both the scissors and the medication bottle. An insert is a shot that focuses on a certain detail. But you have to make them artistic. Like an insert on a cigarette could show smoke going up a certain dramatic way. Or the scissors insert could be inspired by a painting.

Look at still life with scissors by christina clare.
    https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/still-life-with-scissors-christina-clare.jpg

Or your insert could contain a SHADOW of the scissors on the wall just behind the scissors. That resembles the shadow creature you showed before.

Your insert of the medication bottle could have the bottle rolling to and fro.

Instead of saying 'An unspecified amount of time passes'. Just say 'dissolved to'. The director and cameraman will know what you mean.

Also as well as saying fade out at the end. You are supposed write a fade in at the beginning.

You might also need to do' an angle on' shot for when bill runs in at the end. That is another shot from another angle of a scene that has just been done. The angle on would be what bill sees.

You have to think in terms of camera angles etc. Giving information that way to actors is going to be much more useful to them.

Camera has its own storytelling. Trained actors will know and understand camera direction.

Just a note on insert shots ...they are the one thing can make something look really weird if you don't do them and also the thing that if done wrong look odd. You have to make them fit in with consistent lighting and artistry. The bottle has to look as if its part of a murder scene even if in a real murder scene it would look normal. The scissors too ..but don't be unnecessarily gory.

While directors don't like to be told what to do. They need to be often. Screenplays need Camera directions.

Also regarding researching schizophrenia etc ...might be a good idea. Why does she need to have schizophrenia?
    Screenplays should not have camera directions.

OP did you get any further?

How to format a screenplay

https://www.finaldraft.com/learn/how-to-format-a-screenplay/

Note the difference between a spec and shooting script. Also i thinksyour descriptions are a bit long. You do not need to write "an unfortunate car accident" when describing the phone call in bed scene. It is not important to that scene why she is disabled

Advertisement