Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying Photos from Auction Web Site

Options
  • 20-05-2020 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know very little about buying photography but I'm recently interested in buying some photos from the web for myself.

I'm interested in buying a John Bulmer photo some time soon, and I've been looking at photos by George Hurrel (Marlene Deitrich) and some that have been advertised for sale as Press Agency photos.

I dont really want to buy photos at a premium price if I thought that the market would be flooded with them and I don't want to purchase copies that are not licenced correctly.

With John Bulmer for example, it seems he is still producing and selling photos in limited numbers which is great. I'm looking at some of his work on Catawiki.

With someone like George Hurrell, I presume only bona fide sellers can sell reproductions of his works than have been licenced?

With the Press Agency photos (from the 50's 60's 70's) that have found their way onto internet auction sites, presumably they were sent to newspapers at the time and were left in a photo library? I presume the present "owner" can sell those off as they wish? And that to reproduce them and sell them is in breach of copyright?

Is there a basic guide to how these licence issues work so I can start buying with a bit of confidence.

Many thanks

Comments

Advertisement