Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aphex Twin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

So do you think Aphex Twin will come up with some experimental music that can kill the Coronavirus stone dead. :)

no

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Been a while since I posted here, a few years at least! Anyway, I've been loving the work of RX-101 - heavily inspired by Aphex and definitely captures that early 90s classic sound.

If you don't know of him, story goes that he made up to 200 tracks in the late 90s but never sent out any demos - that is up until recently when he finally sent them to Suction records who have since put out two albums and a few EPs.

There had been talk of whether it is actually Mr James himself but I think that's ruled out. Anyway, very much the Aphex template and incredible music.

The Dopamine album is more SAW 1 style and then the more recent 'Serenity' takes things up a notch while retaining a nice melodic backdrop.

From Dopamine -

From Serenity -

On Bandcamp -

https://rx-101.bandcamp.com/album/serenity-2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Been a while since I posted here, a few years at least! Anyway, I've been loving the work of RX-101 - heavily inspired by Aphex and definitely captures that early 90s classic sound.

If you don't know of him, story goes that he made up to 200 tracks in the late 90s but never sent out any demos - that is up until recently when he finally sent them to Suction records who have since put out two albums and a few EPs.

There had been talk of whether it is actually Mr James himself but I think that's ruled out. Anyway, very much the Aphex template and incredible music.

The Dopamine album is more SAW 1 style and then the more recent 'Serenity' takes things up a notch while retaining a nice melodic backdrop.

From Dopamine -

From Serenity -

On Bandcamp -

https://rx-101.bandcamp.com/album/serenity-2

Thanks! this is very nice indeed.

Apgex Twin has shared a note online mourning the loss of his father and warning people about the current political climate.

“Huge heartfelt condolences to anyone grieving right now, I lost my father recently and it’s been really tough, it was not related to C19 (COVID-19),” reads the note, which was posted in the bio of SoundCloud user user18081971, widely accepted to be Richard D. James.

The note continues to comment on the excessive governmental control during the pandemic, saying: “When you are presented with C19 statistics, you must demand whether the figures reflect people who have died WITH C19 or FROM C19. Please do not forget this. When police carry out wishes from government, without any law being in place, you are living in a police state and it is no longer a democracy.”

He adds: “When you are held under house arrest, when no crime has been committed, you are living in a police state and it is no longer a democracy. You didn’t think this could happen did you? Do you know what rights you could lose next, can you guess? You have been warned.” The note has since been deleted but re-shared on Reddit.

James’s father, Derek, was a tin and coal miner, before becoming a psychiatric nurse and a counselor, according to a comment posted by user18081971. He has featured in many of James’s tracks, including vocal samples on “Lornaderek” and “4”.

“He was the best dad I could've ever wished to have had. He had incredible encyclopedic knowledge of so many subjects, he blew my mind constantly and my sisters...tears,” he said in another comment.

Read the note below.

Richard James
    via Soundcloud

MUSICNEWSAPHEX TWINCORONAVIRUSPOLITCS
    Tweet
    Pin

• Advertisement

Warehouse project gig from last year going online tomorrow

https://crackmagazine.net/2020/04/aphex-twin-stream-warehouse-project-live/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

peteeeed wrote: »

Really enjoying these at the moment. His stuff hits me like nothing else. Hopefully he does more shows in the future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Can't believe this passed me by until today.

Orphaned Deejay Selek 2006–08

The AFX was his best moniker for good acid sounds. Although I found the Analord ep series much better than the LP Lords.

Just listened to Every Day again. I love the style of English voice over music. The Orb, little fluffy clouds, yeah.

That way though, of playing humdrum every day conversations over sound is genius..

I like realist film too, mostly English, where you can have a scene of just someone washing the dishes for five minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well with no festival or concert tee shirts to buy this year I might invest in this next week, I can't resist, the Aphex Twin Richard. D, James smile, creepy mask aye! ur,mask_flatlay_front,product,600x600.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Heard this for the first time and just ordered the vinyl off discogs after listening to a few other tunes on it. The amount of music I have yet to find seems massive.

MadYaker wrote: »

Heard this for the first time and just ordered the vinyl off discogs after listening to a few other tunes on it. The amount of music I have yet to find seems massive.

He played that at Oxegen 2008. :)

Ffs I was actually at oxegen in 2008 but I was 17 and had no idea what good music was

Ffs I was actually at oxegen in 2008 but I was 17 and had no idea what good music was

I was 17 ( going on 18 :)) in the summer of 1990.

Got big into ambient music over the next 2 years. Bought ambient collected works 2 on cassette, but loved the Orb and FSOL too.

But it was such a lonely time for me, so difficult to find music, or people who liked the music.

Was still very parochial and boring back then.

I remember wearing a smiley badge and T shirt when I was 15, friends and my parents were questioning my support of drugs.

There was such a push back against electronic music though, the Rock music, even some Indie people hated it.

I remember the graffiti "acid is for children".

Media led a moral panic about illegal raves and the dangers of drugs. I remember when Cork City Hall cancelled a dance music event, for the fear of drugs.

That was quick

About 38 seconds in and then into Revok from Caustic Window.

That was quick

The Analord series on vinyl is great. Not a fan of the follow up album version though.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The Analord series on vinyl is great. Not a fan of the follow up album version though.

I have 7 and 8 now. Might have to see if I can get them all.

• Advertisement

I have 7 and 8 now. Might have to see if I can get them all.

There's a lot available on YouTube if you just want to listen.

One of my favourites is Stepfilter 101 on the first ep.

I love that acid sound.

So, this Roland SH-101 synth is analogue.

Does that mean that the acid sound we hear is not generated by code? Manually produced?

I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

So, this Roland SH-101 synth is analogue.

Does that mean that the acid sound we hear is not generated by code? Manually produced?

I have no idea.

I owned an SH101 for a while and that track sounds like the LFO is modulating the filter, the shape sounds like it's set to random as it sounds like sample and hold and the rate is definitely synced to the track. How the sync is done is the question, maybe it's a modified SH101 as I'm not sure if it's possible through the standard CV connections available.

I was 17 ( going on 18 :)) in the summer of 1990.

Got big into ambient music over the next 2 years. Bought ambient collected works 2 on cassette, but loved the Orb and FSOL too.

But it was such a lonely time for me, so difficult to find music, or people who liked the music.

Was still very parochial and boring back then.

I remember wearing a smiley badge and T shirt when I was 15, friends and my parents were questioning my support of drugs.

And now 70,000 people can get together in stradbally and take every drug under the sun for 3 days straight and nobody bats an eyelid, or at least we used to anyway

Hopefully an album

Hopefully an album

some of the articles are mentioning a novation hardware release

loving the new autchre album, nice and chilled , which they have gone against recently

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

loving the new autchre album, nice and chilled , which they have gone against recently

Ooh thanks for the heads up.. Lost myself down a dark cyberpunk type hole of late and hadn't realised they were releasing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

That opening track is a bit mental

Advertisement