Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is priming in media

• 10-03-2020 11:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure whether this topic fits here but I'm studying agenda setting, priming, and framing.

I kind of have an idea of what agenda setting and framing are but not priming. Could someone explain it please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mr Fegelien, I think Psychology may be a better fit than English - you are not really looking for the meaning of a word or phrase, its more a concept. I will move this to Psychology and close it till the Psych Mods decide whether they agree. If they decide to send it back to English it can be opened again here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thread reopened. Psychology forum charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

In psychology priming normally means getting the person into a certain mental state before another thing.. ufff sorry that makes no sense, how do i explain it

Imagine I am going to show you that famous duck/rabbit optical illusion

if i want you to see it as a bird i will show you lots of pictures of lakes and stuff
    if i want you to see it as a rabbit i will show you pictures of carrots and stuff

The pictures I show you first are me "priming" you, so when you get someone in the mood to think or react in a certain way you are "priming" them. They use it a lot a lot in psychology experiments.

Agenda setting and Framing, those sound like communications or media study things, don't want to say what i think they mean and be wrong since they are probably specific terminology in that field

Advertisement