Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1996 Mazda Bongo Camper

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm in Cork and can't find anything similar here.

Just saw that Car Mechanics magazine is on the library's magazine app so can read all the back issues for free (available through the RB Digital App , free if you join your local library). So I could go studying all of them! Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for a course here some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Thanks for that app too Dory, didn't know about it. Car amechamics have online article index so you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Cui bono?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Did you have any bother registering it as a camper? I see from the first post it had all the seat when you first bought it. Was the pop top roof enough to prove to revenue that it was a camper? Or was it already registered as a camper?

I'm between getting a small camper and a foldup camper/ trailer tent. I see from the pics you've a Conway that I believe is around 1 tonne. Is there any issue towing that on a Bongo? If I got it I'd be towing it on a Kia Rio that itself is only a tonne so not sure I should...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

dory wrote: »
    Did you have any bother registering it as a camper? I see from the first post it had all the seat when you first bought it. Was the pop top roof enough to prove to revenue that it was a camper? Or was it already registered as a camper?
    It was already registered as a camper, I'd be very reluctant to import one unless it was a very high standard conversion.
    dory wrote: »
    I'm between getting a small camper and a foldup camper/ trailer tent. I see from the pics you've a Conway that I believe is around 1 tonne. Is there any issue towing that on a Bongo? If I got it I'd be towing it on a Kia Rio that itself is only a tonne so not sure I should...
    Max weight of the conway cruiser is 900kg so it's a doddle to tow, no issues with the bongo anyway but doesn't help the already poor fuel economy!

It seems that some Rio's would be able to tow one but not all: https://www.carsguide.com.au/kia/rio/towing-capacity

Haven't updated this thread in a while, van still going strong!

Had the heater fan suddenly stop working a few weeks ago. Read online a few common issues that can occur but after pulling it apart, the fan motor was completely shot and the motor brushes were warn almost completely away.

496687.jpg

496688.jpg

Found an entire replacement unit from bongospares which was only a few quid more than the motor online so went with that, which was an easy install and works so much better than the fan ever had before.

When all the heating ducting is out, there's a lot of space under the bonnet:
    496689.jpg

and the ope in the bulkhead where the air gets fed to the cabin:
    496690.jpg

I've now ran my hookup cabling (which you can see in that image) through the adjacent small ope for the heating control cables and the socket is attached to the air ducting allowing the connection to be hidden under the bonnet beside the leisure battery (forgot to take a pic).

The heater matrix was completely clogged with debris and dirt, would recommend cleaning it out if doing any work under the bonnet.
    496691.jpg

• Advertisement

Also, I've just passed 4 years with the van in my ownership. Bought it with 146,000km and it's up at 185,000km now so getting decent usage out of it.

In that time, have done a fair bit of maintenance so the van is definitely in better condition to when I bought it: underseal (& a top-up), welding, timing belt, full coolant hose replacement, thermostat, water pump, new discs and pads, new paint job, change all fluids (diffs, transfer case etc), track rod ends, wheel bearings etc., which on average has been about €1k to €1,5k each year. This is easily manageable given the cheap tax, reasonable insurance and probably pretty close to negative depreciation.

The hard bit to stomach is the fuel costs, circa 14c per km! http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/bongo/1996/alkers/402032

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Alkers, did you do underseal yourself or get it done somewhere,if so who did you get to do it as mine needs underseal before next DOE.

Cheers
    Alan.

I got it done at Reactive Welding:
    http://reactivewelding.com/

Tell him Simon with the blue bongo sent you!

Although, it would seem strange that you need it undersealed before the CVRT.
    Sometimes, the testers will be fussy about underseal in that they can't see the condition of the metal underneath.
    It would make more sense that you get it through the CVRT, then get the underseal done?

Alkers wrote: »
    I got it done at Reactive Welding:
    http://reactivewelding.com/

Tell him Simon with the blue bongo sent you!

Although, it would seem strange that you need it undersealed before the CVRT.
    Sometimes, the testers will be fussy about underseal in that they can't see the condition of the metal underneath.
    It would make more sense that you get it through the CVRT, then get the underseal done?

Was suggested by the guy who does my van prior to next test...so will get it done before April...what did it cost you roughly..cheers..

I think 200e for a full power hose of underneath beforehand, leave it dry then underseal. I actually found it tough enough to get other quotes because of the height of the bongo and ramps / garages that other places had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jumpax

Another vote for Joe, I've a feeling he had one at one stage

Does anyone have any contact information for Joe or his garage? I'll be in Galway a bit this summer, and I've not been able to find anything for "Nolan mechanical services"

Thanks!

Joes Number: 085 732 2576 he wont mind me giving it out he's my brother

Advertisement