Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chances of Djokovic winning all 4 Grand Slams in 2019?

• 28-01-2019 1:19pm

Of course this is very very difficult and just one off day or injury and the chance is gone.

But if he remains healthy, motivated and focused would you give him a good shot at doing it in 2019 given the current state of the men's tennis landscape?

Obviously Roland Garros is basically owned by Nadal but Djokovic smashed Nadal yeseterday in Melbourne (Djokovic's best surface) to such an extent that it must give him confidence and put doubts in Rafa's mind. Nadal is still the very strong favourite here and this is undoubtedly the biggest obstacle to Djokovic's chances.

With Federer showing that maybe finally time has caught up with him so as not able to be challenge over 5 sets for 2 weeks, players like Tsipsitas with his style of game are maybe more of a threat on grass at Wimbledon than Fed would be there in 2019 but Djokovic is a serious player there also and is favourite at this point.

The U.S Open he has been less dominant at than at Melbourne but he should be favourite here for sure also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

He has a chance of course, but it has never been achieved since hard court has become part of grand slams. However, given the homogeneous nature of tennis these days, he has as good a chance as anyone has had.

It’s tough though. Shocks happen in sport. Injuries happen. We are basically looking at every break to go his way for it to happen.

He’ll have to possibly contend with both Rafa and Thiem at RG.

You’d also imagine that at least ONE of the yougsters will step up by the time the US Open comes around.

I saw odds at 11/1 that he wins the remaining 3 slams.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Bear in mind , in order for Djokovic to achieve a calendar slam this year he would have to maintain his slam streak from 3 to 6 which is almost unthinkable let as no one has ever won 5 consecutive grand slams in a row. I do think however he is a serious contender for the French Open and that would give him another Nole Slam. We'll just have to wait and see how things turn out.

yes agree with all points there

However, it makes things interesting this year. Him being in top top form, with Fed on the wane, the newbies still not showing enough and Murray gone it gives him more of a chance.

Now of course there are periods of injuries, 3 vs 5 sets, being in form vs on the comeback and other problems to take into account but since 2011 (over 12+ matches) both Djokovic and Nadal are all square on clay.

https://www.atptour.com/en/players/fedex-head-2-head/novak-djokovic-vs-rafael-nadal/D643/N409

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Said this at the end of last year, I think he will win all 4 slams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Scottish Jodi

I don't see it happen, I think Rafa wins French Open and possibly Federer Wimbledon. I just see Novak having a bad day at the office someday, he will not go a whole season unbeaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Can't see it happening, at best he'll win Wimby and USO , Rafa takes RG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I cant see Federer winning Wimbledon, it would be nice but its not going to happen. The fact that Federer is going to play the French open and how vulnerable he is after a 5 set match, I just cant see him winning. The French open I am leaning towards Djokovic, you have to take into account how attritional clay is and if you look at how Nadal is trying to quicken his game up and play shorter points, you have to ask will his body stand up the rigors of clay.

Djokovic well of the top 3 he is the one that is in the best shape. He hasn't had to change his game like Nadal has has too, he isn't as old are Federer and the rest of tennis are nowhere the level of Djokovic in terms of fitness and game. To me he will win all Slams this year and by the time he finishes he will either be level with Federer on Slams won or ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

The only thing that’s certain is that he’s the only one who possibly can.

So far he has a chance, but no one can predict the future.

We’ll just have to wait & see.

If he doesn’t win RG he can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have been wrong before, but Fed is done as far as GS wins are concerned. No way he wins SW19 this year..

Nole has a very good chance of winning the 3 remaining slams, but not winning any would not surprise me. An awful lot goes into (and needs to be considered) those 7 or so weeks of matches for the remaining 3 slams....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

You have to think that one of the young guns will break through at a slam this year. There were signs of progress last year (Zverev winning ATP, Khachanov winning Bercy), but I guess their dismal form at the AO has dampened any hope of a breakthrough. I'd still be optimistic though that we will see a new winner, and funnily enough it is often Djokovic (out of the Big3) who looks most uncomfortable facing the new guys..

• Advertisement

You have to think that one of the young guns will break through at a slam this year. There were signs of progress last year (Zverev winning ATP, Khachanov winning Bercy), but I guess their dismal form at the AO has dampened any hope of a breakthrough. I'd still be optimistic though that we will see a new winner, and funnily enough it is often Djokovic (out of the Big3) who looks most uncomfortable facing the new guys..

to be a winner over 5 sets over 2 weeks seems to be a big step-up that takes more adjustment than one would think that it should take.

I suppose that it brings the mental game, prolonged concentration, stamina and focus on key points into play more than 3 sets.

There's only 4 tournaments a year to gain experience at getting better at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Would be interesting if they made the finals of the Masters events best of 5 like they used to be - just for more practice if they get there.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Would be interesting if they made the finals of the Masters events best of 5 like they used to be - just for more practice if they get there.

true - but being only the final would not help a lot of players.

maybe make it 5 sets from the 1/4's on?

I think the fact that you see much more first-time GS winners at an early age in the women's game shows that there is definitely something to this.

(there are other factors - I'm just saying that it's a factor)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭1373

glasso wrote: »
    true - but being only the final would not help a lot of players.

maybe make it 5 sets from the 1/4's on?

I think the fact that you see much more first-time GS winners at an early age in the women's game shows that there is definitely something to this.

(there are other factors - I'm just saying that it's a factor)
    just testing sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 14 petarku

Everything will depend from Rafa on Rolland Garros. If he will be in full form I dont think Djokovic can beat him in best of 5 there.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

If he can win RG then he's got a big shot at it. Not that I'd be any way invested in it, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Should open a similar thread on Nadal winning all 4 slams in 2020.

I'd give it as :
    AO 95%
    FO certain - not even worth debating
    Wimby 75%
    USO 98%...

Decent chance of all 4 there , only one I'd be "confident" of him losing out on is Wimbledon - maybe a new lad will win that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

It'll be 2 each for Novak and Rafa
    Novak AO & Wimbledon
    Rafa FO & US

Advertisement