Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Far Cry 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Chavways wrote: »
    There is one thing that seriously annoys me about this game. When you are going around looking for relics and letters on mountains I hate the way that there is usually only one way to get up them. You have to walk hundreds of metres to find the one and only pathway up the mountain.. It takes me 15 minutes to find the route sometimes. And also the 4x4s are seriously underpowered and they cant climb any sort of a hill without loads of speed. Pretty pointless.

I've gotten a few the from a different direction that they would seem to have designed for.

Usually involved flying, or approaching from above on a mountain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

glynf wrote: »
    Heh, sry. taking the piss,I was insinuating the north side of Cork. :D

Oh right :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Taking out camps with the Bow is stupidly satisfying. Take downs are also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

marko93 wrote: »
    Taking out camps with the Bow is stupidly satisfying. Take downs are also excellent.

Not nearly as satisfying as taking a bear out with the flame bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Calhoun wrote: »
    Not nearly as satisfying as taking a bear out with the flame bow.

Haven't come across a wild bear yet, only found one in a camp.. Releasing it was easily the most entertaining thing I've done. On par with releasing the tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Enjoying this game alot. Cleared all the outposts, radio towers and wanted dead quests on the first island. Just about to unlock the second island.

Anyone have any advice on using the crossbow? I used it once, only for a few minutes and didnt find it too effective. I take it I should be using it to sneak up on guys and shoot them in the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

thorbarry wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice on using the crossbow? I used it once, only for a few minutes and didnt find it too effective. I take it I should be using it to sneak up on guys and shoot them in the head?

There are 2 (?) skills that relate to the bow that make it more effective in combat, however, I use the bow primarily for stealth [and the fact that you can collect your shot arrows again by walking over them].

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bow is a one shot kill in most parts of the body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

can't say it was a one shot kill for me at all unless I was up close and got a headshot

Mine have all been 1 shot kills with the bow, never had to shoot twice the problem i find with the bow is its very short distance to be effective. Considering some of the guys run at ya you have to be Johnny on the spot with it.

When it comes to animals its definitely not 1 shot kills, hate the missions when its like, hunt a tiger down with a bow. All it does is piss off a big tiger you have to basically put 4-5 into him fast before he mauls the hole off ya.

• Advertisement

that one with the 3 panthers and the bow... i cheated like a mother****er at that one

spoiler in case anyone's in a bad mood and looking to get angry at me for no reason
    shoot panther, get it to chase me. run until you reach the point where the panther can't leave the area because it has to be inside a certain circle.. then shoot at it from safety

rinse, repeat

that one with the 3 panthers and the bow... i cheated like a mother****er at that one

spoiler in case anyone's in a bad mood and looking to get angry at me for no reason
    shoot panther, get it to chase me. run until you reach the point where the panther can't leave the area because it has to be inside a certain circle.. then shoot at it from safety

rinse, repeat

Yah it was pretty horrible apparently shooting them with fire bolts is against the rules, its still a bow isnt it.

So what i did was shoot the one that was close 5 times in the face to get rid of him then scanned like a mofo with the camera and just tried to aim from range. Took me ages to do but i didnt die.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Have every trophy now except the co-op ones, will try them at the weekend as I don't have that much to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Varik wrote: »
    Have every trophy now except the co-op ones, will try them at the weekend as I don't have that much to do.

Same.This will be my first platinum. All of the trophies were very straightforward.Not like some games where you have to 17 enemies in 4 seconds with the back side of your axe with sitting upside down on a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Chavways wrote: »
    Same.This will be my first platinum. All of the trophies were very straightforward.Not like some games where you have to 17 enemies in 4 seconds with the back side of your axe with sitting upside down on a horse.

Aww man I hated that one. FIFA 08 wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Theres a dlc with all the preorder bonuses for 800 points on xbox live, are they any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having just reached the second island after a lot of gametime (15-20 hours I'd say) I can't help but feel landmass two is a bit surplus to requirements. I'm really not convinced I need more outposts to liberate or more radio masts to climb. Sure there's new weapons, harder enemies and a new
    wingsuit
    (no reason that shouldn't have been introduced earlier - so much time spent looking for hang gliders!) but still not convinced it needs all the extra content.

That said, at least the story is still proving unusual and the campaign missions relatively creative within their confines. Even if the gameplay doesn't always meaningfully reflect it, the story of 'everyman to demented warrior' is actually pretty well handled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Theres a dlc with all the preorder bonuses for 800 points on xbox live, are they any good?

The two Lost Expeditions missions are alrightttt, not worth buying imo. I'm don't know about the other DLC. One of the missions is on a 10 minute time limit and the other probably takes about 20-30 minutes to complete.

Having just reached the second island after a lot of gametime (15-20 hours I'd say) I can't help but feel landmass two is a bit surplus to requirements. I'm really not convinced I need more outposts to liberate or more radio masts to climb. Sure there's new weapons, harder enemies and a new
    wingsuit
    (no reason that shouldn't have been introduced earlier - so much time spent looking for hang gliders!) but still not convinced it needs all the extra content.

That said, at least the story is still proving unusual and the campaign missions relatively creative within their confines. Even if the gameplay doesn't always meaningfully reflect it, the story of 'everyman to demented warrior' is actually pretty well handled.

Yeah, there is something about the second island that makes it feel as if it isn't as good as the first one. Maybe it's just a case of it not being the first island you encounter in the game but it doesn't feel as varied to me, not as populated. It sort of has a sparse feel in places, although the few missions I have done on the island were good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Yeah, there is something about the second island that makes it feel as if it isn't as good as the first one. Maybe it's just a case of it not being the first island you encounter in the game but it doesn't feel as varied to me, not as populated. It sort of has a sparse feel in places, although the few missions I have done on the island were good fun.

Yeah I second that opinion about the second island. I think one of my problems with it is the fact
    your disguised meaning that there are no random enemy encounters
    so takes away some of the fun/randomness from the first island.

It's a shame as looks like a really nicely designed island (although there does seem to be a lot more mountains) but I just don't feel the need to randomly explore anymore. Currently around 5 missions from the end but can't see myself playing it much longer after that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I think I was mostly just sick of looting and random exploration by the time I got there, still had good fun clearing the outposts, finishing the side quests and climbing the radio towers, but just did the bare minimum on the second island really (partially because I also have way too much money by now).

I am nearing the end of the main quest (which is actually decent enough IMO) so I'll probably polish that off over the weekend. Still by then I'll have sunk in a most enjoyable 40+ hours by then so FC3 was definately money well spent.

marco_polo wrote: »
    I think I was mostly just sick of looting and random exploration by the time I got there, still had good fun clearing the outposts, finishing the side quests and climbing the radio towers, but just did the bare minimum on the second island really (partially because I also have way too much money by now).

I am nearing the end of the main quest (which is actually decent enough IMO) so I'll probably polish that off over the weekend. Still by then I'll have sunk in a most enjoyable 40+ hours by then so FC3 was definately money well spent.

Oh yeah, it's a brilliant game alright. I'm not a big gamer (not as much as I want anyway) but when a good game sucks me in I love it and Far Cry 3 is one of those games.

Be great if they came up with some inventive DLC to help put a new spin on things for people that have completed the main game.

I'm being a real completionist on this, everything is upgraded to the max and I have all the signature weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Finished off the main story earlier this afternoon. What an absolutely brilliant game, one of my favourite ever probably.

Just have to go back and do most of the Wanted Dead/Hunter/Supply Drop activities now and collect the Relics/Letters. Although I am one Tattoo short of the full set, and I'm about 3000 XP short, and seeing as the hunting and wanted dead don't give XP, am I relying only on Relics etc for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Killing also gives you xp and the more fancier the kill the higher the XP given (e.g. heavy beatdown is 500xp and multipliers for the multi-kills).
    Like you said you can also get 250xp per Relic and 500 per relic so should have no problem getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Finished this on Friday. Cracking game. I'm going throught it again. Can anyone tell me what happens if you choose to stay with Citra? There's no way I'm ever going to be able to
    kill lisa

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Finished this on Friday. Cracking game. I'm going throught it again. Can anyone tell me what happens if you choose to stay with Citra? There's no way I'm ever going to be able to
    kill lisa

It's on YouTube.

5uspect wrote: »
    It's on YouTube.

and it's incredible

(I watched it on youtube, I'm not a monster)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

I cant play anything else, I always want to go back to FC3. Just proves if a game is that good, you wont want to play much else, not even Hitman and im pretty fanboy when it comes to Hitman..
    Im also liking the Co-Op multi, great the way they mix up the scenarios.
    To top it off it looks soo stunning. I can see a great Zombie mod with these visuals :D

One question though. I have crafted Fire arrows, but dont know how to switch to them, cant see the key in the Keyboard config either.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Harps wrote: »
    Slight spoiler..
    Just discovered what fire can do while burning down fields of weed with a flamethrower to some Damien Marley dubstep, brilliant
    :D

I actually alt-tabbed to Winamp as could not believe it was part of the game.. Then i was truly amazed with a smile on my face, firstly cause i burning weed fields with a flamethrower, and secondly cause Bob Marley is awesome.

Also just about to try this mod - 30 Day Compilation - More gun realism and some HD textures.
    Anybody have and luck with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

platinums wrote: »
    I cant play anything else, I always want to go back to FC3. Just proves if a game is that good, you wont want to play much else, not even Hitman and im pretty fanboy when it comes to Hitman..
    Im also liking the Co-Op multi, great the way they mix up the scenarios.
    To top it off it looks soo stunning. I can see a great Zombie mod with these visuals :D

One question though. I have crafted Fire arrows, but dont know how to switch to them, cant see the key in the Keyboard config either.

I'm the same - keep coming back to it. Put on the co-op for the first time this weekend and it's pretty good. Doubt it has much replayability though. Trying to get my friends to buy it.
    Watched the alternate ending on youtube as well.
    It made me :(

Advertisement