Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outer Wilds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

DLC releasing today, Annapurna hunt it might release at 12.22pm Eastern (5.22pm our time). Would be funny if it did.

Stephen said it's been in development since just before the main game shipped and he has played it but can't write about his impressions just as as .... he's a bit stuck :)

Edit: AI confirm release the is 5pm Irish time.

€14.99, given the development time and price I'd be expecting it to be a fair chunk of content?

It's only 1.2mb's in size as well so I'm guessing the content is in the latest psyched and the dlc just unlocks the quest. Looking forward to giving it a lash tonight anyway.

It prompted me for a near 7gb update there on Series X before I'd even bought the DLC. Interestingly one of the achievements/trophies was unlockable without the DLC installed after the patch last week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh what a thrill to be back. Only took a few minutes to be reminded of what makes this game the absolute best there is. The new DLC area is straight-up exhilarating.

• Advertisement

Oh dear god I can't fly the ship worth a **** anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wasted a loop repeatedly crashing into the satellite. Ahem.

I forgot to put my spacesuit on 😂

Took me ages to work out what I needed to do and I was looking at it for ages. I was trying to get to the satellite asap before it hit 40° Then I though it had it but that was just white hole station which I'd forgotten about.

Look at the big shadow crossing the sun when looking at it from the satellite and fly there. Felt like a proper idiot there as I thought it was just Giant's deep shadow. Like how in the name of all things physics was that even remotely possible 😂

There was a big oh wait yeah I'm being stupid moment there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I still haven't played this. Just bought the DLC anyway but can't wait to get around it. I really should prioritise it.

• Advertisement

Do I need to start a new game from scratch?

Man, just when you think how could they top their already brilliant world design, they go and make THAT! Just incredible.

Nope. Think it’s available whenever you want. My save was deleted (stupid Epic) but I just needed to play through the tutorial to get to the new stuff.

Double get your arse moving with the sun and now the water, I've no idea what triggers the dam breaking yet. Seemed longer before it happened on my second and third runs.

Figures out how to get the slides working, heard a loud noise and wondered ‘hmm, better check what that is’.

Stepped outside to see a tidal wave sweeping through the massive ring station and heading straight towards me. Stunning and terrifying simultaneously. This game, man, it’s something truly remarkable.

I found the same but i think it's because the first time there, you spend some time arsing around just trying to get there, zipping straight to it after that thanks to the auto locator on your ship, you get more time. Had to call it a night but loving it so far. I was expecting a new planet and was wondering what kind of gimmick it would have but absolutely nothing like this.

The slides are so great and equally creepy to watch. I've made it all three way around and apart from the broken bridge, i still have to discover things in the reservoir. The Strangers seem so intriguing already, i NEED to know more.

Curious how the screen has the weird lines at the end of the loop instead of the white flash. I also spent a loop just observing the Stranger and really want to know why the green fan activates covering most of the view. Absolutely fascinating.

My solution to finding it was far more complex than the actual solution. On one of the photos in the new radio hut, there is a spherical object with a blue ring around at 350 degrees. The satellite almost does a full 360 degrees during the loop. So first I waited by the satellite until it reached 350 degrees, but the sun explodes before anything appears. So then I tried to manually fly to the 350 degrees before the satellite gets there. No easy task at all. Especially when nothing appears. At this point I read one of the spoilers above, because I was fed a diet of fabric softener as a child which resulted in a silky smooth brain. Turns out the glowing sphere isn't what you are looking for. What a red herring.

Ha, flying to where you think the satellite will go, opposite of how I found it. I too thought it was the 350 one but counted the objects so I new what degree to look for. Flew out to the satellite and I was checking what degrees it was at, noticed the object in the distance, was pure fluke, didn't have to wait around. Of course this was after multiple attempts including breaking the satellite :(

As for the new content, hard to discuss when there's so much to explore but I'm having so many 'A-HA!' moments, it's just incredible. Also, just looking around makes me think how the devs coded it, must have melted their brains at points.

Watched a fantastic Let's Play of the base game in prep for the DLC. Tried watching a few but they were very cringey, this guy was an absolute pleasure to watch. Highly recommend if anyone fancies a playthrough without actually playing.

The new stuff is so bloody good. Feels a little bit trickier than the core game in general, but not to the extent of getting stuck or hitting progress roadblocks. Have gotten to the next layer of puzzles beyond the obvious ones and it’s already proven a big, generous expansion that’s a perfect follow-up to everything that made the first game great.

The banjo score that plays when you’re rafting is *chef’s kiss*

• Advertisement

I've missed something I think or just haven't thought of something else I need to do.

I have found something I don't know what it's use is and one area I haven't worked out how to get to and another place I found before supernova that was sealed.

EDIT : I just found a

lift in the hanger. Let's see where this goes!!!!!! Accidentally fired the probe when landing rb instead of lb to rotate otherwise I doubt I'd have seen it or found it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Is the ‘something’ you’re talking about the

artifact? Keep experimenting with that.

Also, I found the lift in the hangar from the other side so was very disappointed when it just brought me back to the start 😆

Yeah thats it, I'm trying to remember how I got a particular door/passage to open last night. Going to have to watch the slide show again. Wish you could just review those on the ship.

I got to the other area I'd wondered about and thats just made matters more interesting.

Some serious whiff of Dark Souls shortcuts in this :)

WTF!! Just got a trophy for Early Adopter, took the **** out of me!

I know the place you ended up re: that shortcut but was there a way to be legitimately pointed there . I only found it via fairly rough and impatient flight to the stranger. I'm thinking the door opens from the other side but I couldn't figure out a way.

Oh definitely. I was wondering around, found an elevator down, noticed my oxygen tank kick in, wondered out and couldn't believe I was at the opening. There's another shortcut to the start as well.

A side shows damage to a part on the entrance to The Stranger. I imagine that one is incredibly hard to find unless you knew it was there from the slide.

I was a bit stuck going around in circles on the raft with the candles until i remembered other flames to use and bingo, loads of new things opened up.

Ah jaysus my head is melting. Mind blown here.

Without spoiling too much, I just had an "Inception" moment

• Advertisement

Yup!!!! I'm trying to watch a film here and my mind is racing about what I need to go back and check in the game tomorrow.

Advertisement