Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report someone for Social Welfare fraud

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Here now. Can i just say one thing about the medical card.

Yes you may still be granted one on a discretionary basis even if you have a significantly high wage.

And yes it is relatively easy for people to con the medical card unit,

Up until a few months ago they accepted a handwritten note from a 'landlord' as proof of rent.

So people on a grand a week were forging handwritten notes from their imaginary landlords at imaginary addresses.

Pretending to pay 200 a week etc
    Yes its true, i worked there! And they were getting granted medical cards.

Nobody ever checked anything like that.

This country is a joke, so are the services, i expect nothing less.

And please stop talking like you know the ins and outs of everyones situation!!

Believe me when I say. Hse checks nothing. Surely this is obvious, otherwise they'd actually help people.

Its social welfare that do all the checking and investigating. You'd think they are all linked up but really there is limited access between both.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,331 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

No.

Hate all this heresay.

Ive seen people on crazy big salaries that still have medical cards. Its all about the individual circumstances, some have extraordinary outgoings also.

Looking at the information here, I don't think people on crazy big salaries could qualify.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/medical-cards/medical-card-application-process/how-much-you-can-earn-and-still-qualify-for-a-medical-card.html

What you think you know about them might just be hearsay. But like I said earlier, millionaires with certain medical conditions, can get all their medication free, and no means test. I think this might cause confusion with medical cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

GSBellew wrote: »
    Are you a revenue trained social welfare inspector?

Didn't think so.

I am 100% confident that the cost of social welfare fraud far outstrips the cost of investigating unfounded / spurious / malicious accusations of fraud.

If the reported party is legitimately working a few declared days a few key clicks will revel this.

If they have a legitimate need for a medical card, likewise.

If they warrant further investigation they are likely not above board.

Well, at least I know the Revenue Commissioners and Social Welfare are completely different departments - and the HSE is completely seperate from them too. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

No.

Hate all this heresay.

Ive seen people on crazy big salaries that still have medical cards. Its all about the individual circumstances, some have extraordinary outgoings also.

Looking at the information here, I don't think people on crazy big salaries could qualify.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/medical-cards/medical-card-application-process/how-much-you-can-earn-and-still-qualify-for-a-medical-card.html

What you think you know about them might just be hearsay. But like I said earlier, millionaires with certain medical conditions, can get all their medication free, and no means test. I think this might cause confusion with medical cards.

My mother is on 60k which is quite big to some but has a discretionary medical card, and lots of outgoings.

And yes the long term illness scheme, free medication for specific illnesses as long as you are resident in ireland

I work in the medical card unit (which is really just a call centre) with hundreds of people, and see this everyday, and hear people going on about the 'man down the road with a Mercedes' who has a medical card!

Yes i agree think others may be getting confused with all the different ones

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

GoneHome wrote: »
    Banie01 I'm certain on the fraud with the girl on €80,000 working for the HSE, a Medical Card, the husband stays at home minding the two kids, jesus we're breaking our ass working and still have to pay €60 to see the doctor, it annoys me that they can get away with it (and this is not here say she told me that she swinndled the system)

Jesus, the begrudgery and not only that, how are you getting/receiving all of their private details and their private information? are you working for data protection or just a nosey neighbour? How otherwise could you be possibly sure in regards to their circumstances.

I think this kind of thing with certain people sticking their nose into others private live's and not knowing 100% whether they are just legally receiving their payments and have private issues whether medical or entitled to these payments should be scrutinised in such a disgusting way by stressed out individuals of anger towards their fellow folk in their community because they feel pressure in work or paying bills.

Just imagine spending your important days constantly whinging about what your neighbours are doing on a daily basis, especially not fully knowing what their circumstances are.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Y'know that scene in Ferris bueller where the sister is in the garda station talking to Charlie sheen and he asks her why dont you just ditch, i feel like that everytime a tread comes up like this.

****ing busy bodies, ratting on people without knowing a thing about there circumstance is plain wrong.

Alot of people can front having money but behind it is a huge amount of debt and self torture trying to keep look like you can survive cause y'know your neighbours might rat you out otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 20,331 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Revenue are very good with tracking down defaulters, wherever they are getting the information. Big lists published every quarter, and very substantial amounts. Part 2 is the big ones.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/press-office/list-of-defaulters/index.aspx

Whether any of these people ever pay up is another matter. Some people no doubt would regard them as heroes for avoiding tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

GoneHome wrote: »
    would you report them or say f**k it if they can get away with it leave them off?

No I'd never report anyone. This government is OK with fraud. It's all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,349 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm sure you can report someone without naming yourself as the one reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm sure you can report someone without naming yourself as the one reporting it.

Yes we have established that through anonymously reporting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

GSBellew wrote: »
    Whilst I accept that you are correct in that there can be circumstances where it is legitimate, if that is the case reporting them won't affect them, as they will be found to be in the clear & above board, if not it is one less leach for the rest of us to pay for.

That might not be the case. I think payments can be suspended pending investigation. I'd want to be pretty certain they were committing fraud as loss of payment (even temporary) could have a significant effect on a genuine claimant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

If there was a simple way to report someone id do it no problem, gov make it hard to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 maggot12345

I would certainly report someone if I thought they were claiming something they shouldn't be. If they are in the right they won't have any problems - if they are claiming and they shouldn't be they'll be stopped which as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

My sister in law is getting lone parent allowance and majorty of her rent paid for. Her waste of space boyfriend who is father to her 2yr old is living in the house. Im so tempted to shop her if it wasnt for my little niece.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If there was a simple way to report someone id do it no problem, gov make it hard to report.

there is an online form

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This has been asked a dozen times before. Sure I even replied back to them. often others would moan to me saying "you have to report cause my tax, my tax, my tax!!!" - our tax wouldnt go down if no-one did it at the same time. Let's be honest.

See... here's the bottom line imo. It seems that 99% of people in this world hate what others get/have. But you cant do anything about johnny up the road who is well off cause of his job. But joe skanger getting something he shouldn't? report report report seems to be the mentality.

This world is messed up. If I was on the dole and pulling a con about rent allowance someone would report me if they knew. But by the same token, if that person was illegally dumping their rubbish, and I knew it, i'd be the biggest scumbag in their book for reporting them in turn.

People are jerks. People are hypocrites. Do what you want. Don't tell anyone your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I think one needs to draw a distinction between the boasting super fraudster on multiple overlapping payments and some that is one doing an odd nixer that barely brings them up to living wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ah lads can we not at least wait until the economy crashes before the ratting starts up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Absolutely no issues if they’re long term on the fiddle
    I 'd be the same . Somebody doing their best to get by a rear a family , i'd have no problem with them earning a few quid on the side trying to make ends meet . The one's driving the nice car , foreign holiday's and regularly down the pub complaining how the government is not doing enough for them while bitching how bad they have it , no problem at all reporting them .
    Double standards I know but so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

AulWan wrote: »
    And you're incredibly niave if you think malicious reporting doesn't happen.

Why would I think that when I'm the one that brought it up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Octavia Faint Comet

I wonder how much time is wasted in investigating unfounded / spurious / malicious claims each year?

Not to mention the stress endured by the person being investigated and their family. That's an affect.

I would never report anything unless I was 100% absolutely sure of all my facts in advance, and to me, it doesn't sound like the OP is.
    It isn’t his job to be sure, there are people hired to ensure concerns such as the ops are investigated. It’s the downside of being handed state money, being subject to investigation if there’s a concern raised. Anyone contributing anything in tax are totally entitled to query where their hard earned money is going.

Why would I think that when I'm the one that brought it up?

I actually think I brought it up first... but whatever ?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

JPCN1 wrote: »
    Don't know, it's deeply ingrained in our psyche!

"don't be tellin"

It isn’t his job to be sure, there are people hired to ensure concerns such as the ops are investigated. It’s the downside of being handed state money, being subject to investigation if there’s a concern raised. Anyone contributing anything in tax are totally entitled to query where their hard earned money is going.

I never said it was his job to sure. I said I would not report anyone unless I was 100% sure.

Though it is my opinion that making a report on someone is a pretty lousy thing to do, if you are not 100% sure of your facts first.

You don't know what hardship you could be bringing to that person and their family by your actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Octavia Faint Comet

I never said it was his job to sure. I said I would not report anyone unless I was 100% sure.

Though it is my opinion that making a report on someone is a pretty lousy thing to do, if you are not 100% sure of your facts first.

You don't know what hardship you could be bringing to that person and their family by your actions.

Unfortunately the general public aren’t privy to the same access as those in official positions, making it pretty much impossible to be one hundred % certain. That is why, when you report your suspicions they’re followed up in a fair and thorough manner: I would say ripping off people who get up every morning and go to work is more lousy, to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

Graces7 wrote: »
    there is an online form

Linky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Virtually impossible to be eligible for a medical card if you are working full time, regardless of the severity of your illness. 2 million people in the State have some type of medical card. I doubt anyone is ever convicted for medical card fraud.

People who return to work from disability are allowed to retain some of their secondary benefits such as FTP and medical card, and even part payment (depending on income). Its an incentive to both return to the workforce and a protection so that if the employment ends for whatever reason their claim doesn't have to start from scratch but can be altered from the original claim. T

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭enricoh

A lad came into our place last week looking for cash in hand work as he is on disability.
    The boss was chatting to him n he mentioned what experience he had etc n that he wanted e20 an hour into his paw! That was the end of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

enricoh wrote: »
    A lad came into our place last week looking for cash in hand work as he is on disability.
    The boss was chatting to him n he mentioned what experience he had etc n that he wanted e20 an hour into his paw! That was the end of that!

You gonna report your boss for PRSI and employer contribution avoidance? How many other people is he playing this fiddle with?

Advertisement