Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do bus drivers salute each other

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Luas drivers do it too. It’s a gentle reminder that they need to pick up their cooler bag at the depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Giggsy19 wrote: »
    Been taking a lot of buses over the last year and almost all bus drivers salute each other even if working for different companies, even across motorways. They don't salute anyone else just each other. Is there like an unwritten bus drivers code where they all have to salute each other?

Its code for bus drivers on the same route , to let each other know they've got the route idiot on board and that he may be on the return bus later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

How do you even remember how to breathe is the real question OP. You probably find that annoying too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

That's a Sunday Evening Hangover question if I ever saw one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I thought Dublin taximen hate everyone ?

They do. Including other Dublin taxi men.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    Why does it annoy you? They're just saying hello to their fellow worker in the same boat, just being friendly
    Speaking of boats, it happens with boats too.

At around 1600 every evening, if you happen to be around Dun Laoghaire, you'll see the WB Yeats (en route to Cherbourg) passing by one of the ferries returning from Holyhead in the middle of the Bay. They honk their horns at one another, it's very exciting.

I need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I drove hgvs for a living, and we would always give a salute even across the motorway, youd get to know the lads and eventually you might bump into some of them at one of the services taking a break and get to know them a little better, you would also get to know the lads that wouldnt salute but fcuk them dick heads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I drove hgvs for a living, and we would always give a salute even across the motorway, youd get to know the lads and eventually you might bump into some of them at one of the services taking a break and get to know them a little better, you would also get to know the lads that wouldnt salute but fcuk them dick heads

Did y'all have CBs ? And the "breaker ,breaker" thing?
    Convoys, bears in the air etc.

Did y'all have CBs ? And the "breaker ,breaker" thing?
    Convoys, bears in the air etc.

Things of the past now, some tangs still use them but normal drivers wouldnt bother with them

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

I don't know why it annoys me, just kind of does! Why are city link drivers saluting bus eireann drivers etc just drive the bus!

Outrageous, saluting his fellow peasents as you pay his meager wages. The only salute he should give is doffing his cap-at least two inches above the head please-when a member of the aristocracy such as your good self deigns to travel in his filthy carriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Is this code for gay sex at service stations ?

vladmydad wrote: »
    Is this code for gay sex at service stations ?

Obviously, have you not seen the way them big beardy trucker bears dress, cheekless chaps and string vests galore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

I salute all my friends when I see them too... Oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

To indicate that there are no speed checks ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Giggsy19

Speaking of boats, it happens with boats too.

At around 1600 every evening, if you happen to be around Dun Laoghaire, you'll see the WB Yeats (en route to Cherbourg) passing by one of the ferries returning from Holyhead in the middle of the Bay. They honk their horns at one another, it's very exciting.

I need to get out more.

This probably would annoy me a lot too but not as much as bus drivers!

Oxter wrote: »
    To indicate that there are no speed checks ahead?

Most buses go the speed limit or at least should be with passengers on board so not sure it would matter about speed checks...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

People doing similar work tend to salute each other. Around my area everyone salutes everyone even if they don’t know the car Incase it’s someone they know but if I’m in the tractor and meet another tractor there is always a salute regardless of the area it’s just a nice bit of spirit among people. You will see truckers do this a lot too. I like the way bus drivers also do it. A lot of them would know each other too particular among the different private operators as they would be hanging around at the start/finish stops chatting often.

the same out here in Mayo. Always a wave from other drivers... like saying hello...we are friendly out here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Would you prefer it if drivers of competing bus services started ramming one another's buses instead OP?

Would you prefer it if drivers of competing bus services started ramming one another's buses instead OP?

Bit extreme because it doesn't need to be one or the other. Just stop saluting every other bus driver and been a cnut to every other road user...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Do you know who else does salutes ?

Nazis

• Advertisement

Most buses go the speed limit or at least should be with passengers on board so not sure it would matter about speed checks...

Citylink buses have good punctuality because their drivers break the speed limits off the motorways. All buses are speed governed to 100kph but lower limits apoly in off motorway urban areas. Bus Eireann are far less punctual but have more law abiding drivers.

davej wrote: »

Nazis

Do u think there is underlying meaning to the bus drivers salutes? Some of them are borderline..

Oxter wrote: »
    Citylink buses have good punctuality because their drivers break the speed limits off the motorways. All buses are speed governed to 100kph but lower limits apoly in off motorway urban areas. Bus Eireann are far less punctual but have more law abiding drivers.

If they do salute to warn of speed checks then this backs up my reason for been anti saluting amongst the bus drivers gang..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

davej wrote: »

Nazis

Like these guys?

250px-Rkka.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

If you ever drive a Land Rover Defender or it's older versions you'll probably get a wave from another Defender driver as he passes by. Its a tradition going back years. I was overtaken by another Defender driver outside Cork city last year and he flashed on his rear worked lights as he sped off into the distance. Drivers of LR Discovery Evoque and Range Rover won't salute unless they are LR fanatics. They probably don't know of the tradition.

topper75 wrote: »
    Like these guys?

250px-Rkka.jpg

Actually looks like a couple of the bus eireann drivers...but the wave is spot on there actually..citylink i find are a bit more extravagant in there waves...almost showing off

If you ever drive a Land Rover Defender or it's older versions you'll probably get a wave from another Defender driver as he passes by. Its a tradition going back years. I was overtaken by another Defender driver outside Cork city last year and he flashed on his rear worked lights as he sped off into the distance. Drivers of LR Discovery Evoque and Range Rover won't salute unless they are LR fanatics. They probably don't know of the tradition.

Thanks for the heads up...never buy LR defender!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Its that integrated bus driver camaraderie salute.

CFWTsi0XIAAEdF8.jpg

• Advertisement

If they do salute to warn of speed checks then this backs up my reason for been anti saluting amongst the bus drivers gang..

They salute if no speed check.

No salute means slow down

Advertisement