Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

“I’m a f****** international lawyer” let me out of here

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wasn't trying to compare, I was making a point that the good things someone does will not mean it outweighs the bad stuff. And it was bad. And having been a Garda for 9 years before giving it up, I've heard that excuse more times than I care to remember. Everyone uses excuses like that. I don't accept it. I never accept the alcohol/drugs made me do it excuse. She made the decision to drink to excess while on medication. No ones fault except her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

As I said on the other thread this was a vulnerable individual and while people don't have to forgive her some common decency and not wishing her dead is still something we should expect.

Otherwise If we wished bad on everyone or write off people with beliefs different to ours we are really making the world a worse place.

Further more we eventually will help erode our own internet freedoms as you see government heavy hand legislate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

...everyone here has had a bad day or too I'm sure...

Aye, I have, but I didn't end it with a racist rant and serious safety breaches on an international flight. There's the difference.

I'm not a fan of remembering the good things they did if there are glaring points to show what that person is really like. Shur didn't Bill Cosby get the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2002, he is included in the book 'The 100 Greatest African Americans', a well known comedian and actor who did a lot of good. When he dies, we'll just forget that he drugged and sexually assaulted about 60 women. Shur he was grand before that.

I could Godwin this too, but I won't, I'm sure my point is made.

That's a mad thing to say, comparing this woman with Bill Cosby, a predatory rapist.

I wasn't trying to compare, I was making a point that the good things someone does will not mean it outweighs the bad stuff. And it was bad. And having been a Garda for 9 years before giving it up, I've heard that excuse more times than I care to remember. Everyone uses excuses like that. I don't accept it. I never accept the alcohol/drugs made me do it excuse. She made the decision to drink to excess while on medication. No ones fault except her own.

Good luck up there in your ivory tower- some of us have the decency and ability to forgive and acknowledge that we’re all as humans capable of doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

She was born in Belfast and has a Cockney accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Thank goodness we" Boardsies" are perfect in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good luck up there in your ivory tower- some of us have the decency and ability to forgive and acknowledge that we’re all as humans capable of doing wrong.

We are all humans capable of doing wrong but how many of us would call a steward a “monkey grabbing c***?”. That’s not nice at all.

We are all humans capable of doing wrong but how many of us would call a steward a “monkey grabbing c***?”. That’s not nice at all.

In vino veritas - she revealed her true self.

It's far from an ivory tower i'm in, but I'm not going to jump on the faux-empathy bandwagon. She revealed her true self, and we saw what kind of a person she really was. I've had bad mental health days, days where I could have lashed out, days where i've nearly topped myself, but I didn't become a drunk racist. Even in those dark places, I had decency. Not this woman. If that is to be blamed, we don't and won't ever know.

And thanks for presuming I don't have decency or the ability to forgive. I do, just not for people I don't know and would never have met. It's fake. People feeling sorry for her, unless you knew her, won't remember her name next week/month/year.

I'm honest with myself. And I've a large enough set of friends and family that I'll keep my decency and forgiveness for, I don't need to waste it pretending to care about someone I don't know. Maybe if I got to know her, my opinion might change, but I wouldn't have, so why presume she was a lovely person? Is it not just as ok for me to presume she wasn't? Take the emotion out of it and think about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When my drinking was at its worst a few years ago, and I was in a very dark place and could not see a way out, I got completely mangled one evening, blacked out and ended up being verbally abusive to my sister who I love very much and then had an accident that required me to go to hospital.

I don’t recollect a second of what happened, it was totally out of character and I am utterly ashamed at what I did.

None of us are perfect.

• Advertisement

The lady is dead. Will you give over.

RIP

JupiterKid wrote: »
    When my drinking was at its its worst a few years ago, and I was in a very dark place and could not see a way out, I got completely mangled one evening, blacked out and ended up being verbally abusive to my sister who I love very much and then had an accident that required me to go to hospital.

I don’t recollect a second of what happened, it was totally out of character and I am utterly ashamed at what I did.

None of us are perfect.

Well apparently some people on this thread are.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The lady is dead. Will you give over.

RIP

I know nothing about her apart from her behavior on the day in question. That I was commenting on. Nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

JupiterKid wrote: »
    When my drinking was at its worst a few years ago, and I was in a very dark place and could not see a way out, I got completely mangled one evening, blacked out and ended up being verbally abusive to my sister who I love very much and then had an accident that required me to go to hospital.

None of us are perfect.

Exactly. People don’t really know what blacking out means - I don’t black out but I’ve seen it affect other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Oxter wrote: »
    She was born in Belfast and has a Cockney accent.

Have ye heard Graham McDowell lately?

People are also ready to accept that she blacked out just because she said it. Doesn't mean it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Oxter wrote: »
    In vino veritas - she revealed her true self.

Scientist have proven this to be a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Empathy and sympathy are not traits you need to qualify, Potential-Monke. You don't have to know someone personally to understand that they are not the sum of one grave mistake they made, the same mistake they paid for with their life in the end. That's called being human.

I get that you're probably jaded given the spectrum of awful behaviours you probably witnessed in the gardai and are of a zero tolerance mindset as a result. Understandable I guess. But others reading between the lines and feeling human empathy does not amount to "pretending to care" about someone they don't know. They're just choosing to see the grey reality of situations that you choose to see as black and white.

Cool, I accept that. I don't 100% agree with it, but I accept it. And it's not that I see it as black and white, just that I look at more or less everything these days and take just the facts without the emotion, something people find very hard to do and results in having a hard or strong stance on some matter, but if they removed the emotion they may have a different one. And that's in every walk of life, not just here. We need to be able to remove emotion to make an un-biased decision, and it may be one you wouldn't initially agree with. That's all I'm trying to say.

Edit: And it's not just this case. It's everything. We're supposed to feel empathy for everyone these days. I'm sick of it. The vast majority of 'supporters' for all these different causes probably can't even remember they supported it after a while. Even more actually don't care about it, but it's cool or the current in thing to be behind. If everyone left everyone else alone, the world would be better imo. Instead, we have people who live their lives involved in everyone else's business, gossipping and being all nice to your face and bitching about you when your back is turned. Just sick of the fakeness and faux outrage/empathy/whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

RIP to this poor woman.
    Jon Ronson writes about this very thing and this is the toxic effect of social media.

• Advertisement

Empathy and sympathy are not traits you need to qualify, Potential-Monke. You don't have to know someone personally to understand that they are not the sum of one grave mistake they made, the same mistake they paid for with their life in the end. That's called being human.

I get that you're probably jaded given the spectrum of awful behaviours you probably witnessed in the gardai and are of a zero tolerance mindset as a result. Understandable I guess. But others reading between the lines and feeling human empathy does not amount to "pretending to care" about someone they don't know. They're just choosing to see the grey reality of situations that you choose to see as black and white.

My god, how does one become so eloquent a speaker as you?

Great post :cool:

smurgen wrote: »
    Scientist have proven this to be a myth.

Others have proved it true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Cool, I accept that. I don't 100% agree with it, but I accept it. And it's not that I see it as black and white, just that I look at more or less everything these days and take just the facts without the emotion, something people find very hard to do and results in having a hard or strong stance on some matter, but if they removed the emotion they may have a different one. And that's in every walk of life, not just here. We need to be able to remove emotion to make an un-biased decision, and it may be one you wouldn't initially agree with. That's all I'm trying to say.

Edit: And it's not just this case. It's everything. We're supposed to feel empathy for everyone these days. I'm sick of it. The vast majority of 'supporters' for all these different causes probably can't even remember they supported it after a while. Even more actually don't care about it, but it's cool or the current in thing to be behind. If everyone left everyone else alone, the world would be better imo. Instead, we have people who live their lives involved in everyone else's business, gossipping and being all nice to your face and bitching about you when your back is turned. Just sick of the fakeness and faux outrage/empathy/whatever.
    Great post. I believe this woman was the victim of this societal malaise you speak of. Not only did she embrace it wholeheartedly herself (in her Palestinian human rights lawyer mode) but she also fell victim to it when her political correctness lapsed under the affluence of incohol, and her fellow virtue signallers turned on her. That, on top of her facial disfigurement (which probably seemed far worse to her than to others) would have sent her self-esteem to rock bottom.
    Probably also had bad news re the progression of the cancer.
    And so the scenic cliffs of Beachy Head witnessed the end of another human life.

Advertisement