Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research Proposal

• 18-09-2018 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I could do with a bit of advice and support with this proposal. It is linked to a couple of my last posts, however, I'm taking a bit of a different slant on it. I'm unsure if I am being a bit to ambitious with this, or biting off more than I can chew? Reminder, I am out on my own doing this, I have no supervisor or potential supervisor, and I am one of a very small number of people that has knowledge on this topic/construct where I live/study. I have carried out research for my masters on this subject. That said, from a methodology perspective, I'm lost, and have little knowledge. My research module in college was pretty basic.

So my situation. I hypothesise that a cohort of people are behaving congruently with a contract/theory. However, many different conceptualisations and scales exist to measure this construct. I would like to take the existing scales and develop a new one based on systematic review or meta-analysis? I would like to develop a new model to add to literature? my contribution?

I would then like to administer this new scale to the cohort of people I believe to be behaving congruently with this construct. I don't think they know what this construct is, or indeed, even have heard of it before.

Is this too much for a PhD research degree? am I missing anything? I don't want to have to validate the scale on a group who practice/have knowledge of this theory before administering to this cohort, am I wrong with this line of thinking? Can I systematically review existing models with scales and develop a new scale based on this review? Any help much appreciated

Dar

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hi dar100. I've been waiting to see if anyone else replies to your Research Proposal post. If not, I certainly will. Methinks it's an interesting topic for our forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Black Swan wrote: »
    Hi dar100. I've been waiting to see if anyone else replies to your Research Proposal post. If not, I certainly will. Methinks it's an interesting topic for our forum.

Any help greatly appriciated as always. I have chipped away at it the last couple of days, however, my proposal currently is not taking the new model route as I'm out on my own. My proposal is now looking at administering one of the most validated scales on the same cohort in order to test my hypothesis.

However, id really like to have a major contrubution such as new scale. So, if I can realistically do my original OP Id like to.

Will be applying for scholarship to a large university, if I can attract a supervisor that is

Advertisement