Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Kurtosis wrote: »
    Would anyone know of somewhere in the Grafton St area that might sell a puncture repair kit? Sad to see all the nearby bike shops have closed or moved.

Camden St. would be the closest I imagine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Is there a Tiger shop near ? They do them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think there may be a tiger shop across the road from the church on aungier street. but camden street is just a little bit farther to walk, and you'll be in a dedicated bike shop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a tiger in Stephen's green and a bike shop on Pearse street across from the library. TK Maxx sometimes have stuff too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Brilliant, thanks all! Didn't realise Tiger did them. Also, despite cycling past Penny Farthing cycles on Camden Street every day, I forgot they existed. Will give them a go if no joy in Tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dealz too, but none on the southside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.dublincity.ie/share-care
    Deputy Lord Mayor Cllr. Tom Brabazon recently launched the new “Share with Care” (“Roinn le Curaim”) signage in Fairview Park. This initiative will promote responsible behaviour and respect between pedestrians and cyclists and if successful will be extended to other parks in the city.

It would be easy to make a whataboutery comment about motorists and cyclists sharing with care, but I won't.

Office mate in an unpleasant way after a car ran onto the main road, looking at phone and she had to emergency break, bike went from under her. Fairly bruised and battered, car drove off, never stopped and possibly didn't even notice. Thankfully the car and cyclist behind stopped to make sure she was OK. Driver of the car barely made the turn as they were trying to type and spin the wheel with at the same time. Thankfully only road rash and bruised ribs and hips.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Happened near work? There are plenty of cameras around there no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no dashcam footage from the car behind, i guess?

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Happened near work? There are plenty of cameras around there no?
    Happened on the road between the Dropping Well pub and the old train station just around the corner, after climbing the hill.
    no dashcam footage from the car behind, i guess?
    There is possibly one from the creche across the road.

She talked me through it and I think she made the right call in regards what was happening, it was hit the deck or possibly hit the car at a funny angle. Funny she partly blames herself for a car pulling out in front of her and not paying attention.

so... when are we going to start seeing disc brakes on fixies/single speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    They seem to have used the capitalised ninth letter of the alphabet for the fourth character instead of a lower-case twelfth. @dublinbus was taken in 2009, maybe by Dublin Bus to stop anyone else using it?

Could you not just have said a big I instead of an l rather than making me do my abcs?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Could you not just have said a big I instead of an l rather than making me do my abcs?!?!?!

reminds me of this old joke

Teacher: Can anyone give me a sentence beginning with ‘‘I’’?

Student: I is…

Teacher: Never put ‘‘is’’ after an ‘‘I’’. Always put ‘‘am’’ after an ‘‘I’’.

Student: I am the ninth letter of the alphabet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

On my browser, the two letters of which you speak look exactly the same,so I tried another tack. Admittedly, I achieved precision without achieving intelligibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

On my browser, the two letters of which you speak look exactly the same,so I tried another tack. Admittedly, I achieved precision without achieving intelligibility.

So you think that we can't read a sentence good like you does?

Admittedly, I achieved precision without achieving intelligibility.
    story of my life, bud.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

so... when are we going to start seeing disc brakes on fixies/single speeds?

Never! :D

Ah no disc's on single speeds fine.

But why the flip would you want to have them on a fixie? You have double the amount of brakes on a fixie than a normal bike!

It nearly killed me to put a back brake on my old track bike when I was converting her into my commuter. I have yet to use use it (back brake).

I have disc's on a road bike and mtb, and they are truly excellent.

I don't miss them on the fixie though. 4 brakes!

random thought - i've occasionally seen someone mess up mounting their rear light on the bike, and it ends up being a happy accident in that the light ends up shining back onto an item of clothing, illuminating it.
    i'd be curious as to how visible or eye catching a point source of light is, compared to the same light being bounced off a light item of clothing.
    there might be merit in mounting a rear light, facing forward onto your back, if you've a carrier or similar to mount it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Found this while tidying today.

Nissan Classic,1992. Climb of Mushera, heading South. Some rider in possibly his first race in Europe after turning pro following the Barcelona Olympics.
    Chunky guy - whatever happened to him?

491654.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Found this while tidying today.

Nissan Classic,1992. Climb of Mushera, heading South. Some rider in possibly his first race in Europe after turning pro following the Barcelona Olympics.
    Chunky guy - whatever happened to him?

491654.jpg

I hate to say it, but is it this guy :pac:
    2014-07-06_new_1759233_I3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

How do you get rid of those ads on the right-hand column on Boards? As my sight deteriorates (on a 3- to 4-year (supposedly) waiting list for a cataract op, I have to size the pages up, and the effing thing takes up a third of the page and makes videos unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Just have the operation ASAP ðŸ˜

Rechuchote wrote: »
    How do you get rid of those ads on the right-hand column on Boards? As my sight deteriorates (on a 3- to 4-year (supposedly) waiting list for a cataract op, I have to size the pages up, and the effing thing takes up a third of the page and makes videos unwatchable.

Use the old version of the site, ads are on top, not in a column.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rechuchote wrote: »
    What device are you using? What browser?

What ads??? :confused:

I jest, I know well they are there I just block them. If they weren't such a pain I'd allow them through like I do on other sites but if your ads get in the way I block them.

Blocking them on cyclingnews.com really breaks it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Anyone been into the Chain Reaction outlet in Belfast?
    Whats the selection/range of clothing like in the place?

Any word of the little girl knocked off her bike by a bus on Kimmage Road West near the KCR the other day?

• Advertisement

deandean wrote: »
    Just have the operation ASAP ðŸ˜

Not up to me. They've got a little list.
    What device are you using? What browser?

Mac, Chrome, latest versions. Ads seem to be gone today.

By the same token, spent some time yesterday on or near the cycle path from Rathfarnham to Nutgrove. Has to be one of the worst in Ireland. Non-dished on and off in places, manholes that sink under you, deadly little pavement edges that you (I) can't see.

Advertisement