Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!! *READ Mod Note in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

Halfords have knocked 20% of Carreras until Monday including the Vanquish, the 2011 Virtuoso and Banshee amongst others. Picked up the 2011 Virtuoso today myself, pure luck that the deal came on as i walked into the shop!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

This looks like great value

SRAM Red equipped Team Alu for 999 sterling

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLARED/planet_x_team_alu_red_road_bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Winkle85

Just got this by email looks like some big savings to be had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

G rock wrote: »
    let us know when you get it, might take a punt on it but not so sure of sizing (chest etc will fit, might be a bit short)
    Got this today, 11 days after making the order which I thought was quite long for PBK.
    Anyway, it's a smashing jacket for the price, haven't tried it out yet but I can just tell by looking at it and the usual "cool, look at this, when I pour water on it, it runs off" trick! Looks like a very high quality finish, which seems about right considering its work €100+ on CRC. Not bad for €28 at all!!
    In terms of size and fit, I'd be 5'7 and of a slight/lean build especially on the upper body. While it isn't an out and out race fit, it is quite slim and short but still a bit of room on me especially on the arms.
    Cuffs, waist and collar are all adjustable. The cycling shape is quite pronounced so it is short on the front alright with a decent length tail.
    Hope this helps, now should I buy another one at this price? hmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

thanks, sounds good.

i'm 5 11, might just give one a go, might end up short but worth the punt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You're the same size as myself Ballyhoura, how restrictive would it be to run in ? It's €35.88 now. And does it pack into a pouch or its own pocket ?

It certainly wouldn't restrict you running if it fits you like it does me. I can imagine it could get quite clammy/sweaty to run in as with all waterproof garments but that could be better then soaked from rain!

It actually doesn't fold down into it's own pouch or anything, just has one small chest pocket. However it does fold down quite small alright, plenty small for a cycling jersey pocket.

Oh ya, use VELONEWS10 to get an extra 10% off that price but it still has gone up a few euro, still a bargain though.

Got caught in a light shower with it today and it was amazing to see the droplets bounce off it. Very pleased with it. Looks pretty sweet too if that's possible for a cycling rain jacket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cool, something to contemplate. One last question, is it pretty light ?

I have a half decent light rain jacket but after a long run inside is as wet as outside due to no breath-ability whereas the PBK one is supposed to be fairly breathable.

Weird, when I search for the Neutron jacket on PBK this is what I get:
    179643.png
    €29.90
    And when I click on it for the product page:
    179644.png
    €35.88

Bit of a difference there alright, strange one that as even the RRP changes as does the reduction percentage :confused:

Anyway, its a light jacket alright but not too light at all. I mean to put it into perspective, it is 275g, I have a standard Altura clear rain cape which is 175g and a super light Aldi/Lidl high viz (folds down to tennis ball size) outer layer/wind breaker which is 80g. There is a bit of body to it in fairness but nothing like a standard light jacket which is twice the weight.

Judging by the material, I can imagine you will still sweat in this jacket running, but have yet to take it for a proper spin to test out it's breathability.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Some absolute gems available :) ........

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/gifts/bike-books-dvds/liz-hatch-dvd-come-ride-with-me.html
    51BTutVmEAL.jpg

Edit: I don't know what "Action Wipes" are. Do you use them before or afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

this seems like a bit of a bargain to me, lovely mtb frame+fork for 400 euro, just looking through their site and this also looks like a hell of a bargain

this seems like a bit of a bargain to me, lovely mtb frame+fork for 400 euro, just looking through their site and this also looks like a hell of a bargain
    Good deal alright, the fork is nearly worth that alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Good deal alright, the fork is nearly worth that alone!

some really good full suspension frames for next to nothing as well, if only i had a bit of money :( will definitely be keeping an eye on those lads from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Both those look good...if only I had some cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

For those of you down South - breakfast for 4 in Tony's Bistro for €3.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

got an email from Wiggle - use code UK10 for £10 any order of £75 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Posted about Solo from their website earlier in this post, but for anyone uparound Stillorgan or South Dublin, or from their website, TODAY...

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/categories.php?category=Current-Special-Offers/%22Thursday-Temptations%22:D

The next bicycle & miscellaneous items auction on behalf of An Garda Siochana will take place on Saturday 12th November 2011 at 11am.

Choose From Over 200 Vehicles For Auction To Include A Large Selection Of Ex-Finance Vehicles, Commercial Vehicles, Dealer Part Exchange & Private Entries PLUS A Large Selection Of Bicycles & Miscellaneous Items To Be Sold NO RESERVE To The Highest Bidder! Bicycle Auction will take place at 12.30pm.

M7 Motor Park,

Junction 10,

Naas Road,

Naas,

Co. Kildare.

I just copied this from another forum in case anyone here might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Some great bargains at this site;

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/prodtype.asp?strParents=4262,4270&CAT_ID=4156&numRecordPosition=1

I spotted the Bspoke Russell Merino Half Zip Top for £15.44, sounds great value.
    44935.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Saw three of these in TKMaxx in Blanch this afternoon. €5.99.

180130.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Look Keo Blade Carbon CrMo for €99

CycleSuperStore Wednesday offer

*note that these aren't the ones with the titanium axles *

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Has anybody come across some good deals on framesets suitable for a winter/training bike?
    I'm looking for something in the 58cm -> 60cm range, total frameset cost less than €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

Has anybody come across some good deals on framesets suitable for a winter/training bike?
    I'm looking for something in the 58cm -> 60cm range, total frameset cost less than €500.
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/article.html?o=A1019900 . I have the roadlite bike myself and its great.

I have mentioned this before but it's such a great deal at £211 delivered -

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/Aluminium%20Road%20FrameSets/Preffisio%20FrameSet/Dolan%20Preffisio%20Frameset

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Zander1983

Hi
    Im looking to buy my first road bike. I dont really have more than 350 euro to spend. Im hoping to get something second hand for that. What would ye recommend and what should i look out for? is a aluminium frame good? heres a bike ive been loooking at:

http://www.adverts.ie/other-cars-motorbikes-boats/roadbike-viking-xrr-yellow/847249#comment_5394538

any help greatly appreciated:)

Zander1983 wrote: »
    Hi
    Im looking to buy my first road bike. I dont really have more than 350 euro to spend. Im hoping to get something second hand for that. What would ye recommend and what should i look out for? is a aluminium frame good? heres a bike ive been loooking at:

http://www.adverts.ie/other-cars-motorbikes-boats/roadbike-viking-xrr-yellow/847249#comment_5394538

any help greatly appreciated:)

These bikes can be bought new on Ebay for under £200. I wouldn't pay more than €150-175 for that bike if I was buying it. But I wouldn't buy it. I'd spend more and get a better bike. For €350 you should get carbon forks, STI shifters and a total bike weight of under 10kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Hi

http://www.adverts.ie/other-cars-mot...omment_5394538

any help greatly appreciatedsmile.gif

Alu frame is all you'll get and will be fine. Do not get that Viking though as that has downtube shifters. You should be able to get something with Shimano sora shifters (on the handlebar). Did a quick search and this bike is far better value, but sold so keep an eye out.

Do you know what size frame you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Zander1983

Thanks for advice, i wont get the Viking so. Im looking at getting a Trek 1000 SL. I saw one today in a bike shop in Clonskeagh for 420 euro with shimano shifters. im 6'2 so i need a frame of about 58 I think. The Trek is 58 so should fit me fine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Oakley HALF JACKET Jet Black with Fire Iridium lens 03-613

£69.00 + shipping

http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/sunglasses-c76/oakley-half-jacket-jet-black-with-fire-iridium-lens-03-613-p746

20% off with TSCOMMS

Oakley CUSTOM PRO M FRAME Jet Black with VR28 Heater lens

£75.00 + shipping

http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/sunglasses-c76/oakley-custom-pro-m-frame-jet-black-with-vr28-heater-lens-p7724

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement