Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Game Fair Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Countrysports

I should also have explained the flyer that people are commenting on was mainly intended to be an advanced trade flyer put out for exhibitors to demonstrate the width and concept of the event. When it was published in Irish Countrysports, Countryman's Weekly etc there was accompanying information on the 'full game fair programme' mentioned in the flyer.

The newspaper and radio adverts for the event starting next week will make the Game Fair content quite clear and also make it clear that it is a Game Fair AND Country Lifestyle Festival. With us having brought the Game Fair concept to Ireland over 40 years ago it is ridiculous for anyone to suggest that we are trying to remove it from our event - in fact the reverse is true - what we are doing ( as is the main English Fair) is to promote it to a wider audience.

Most radio stations will have ticket competitions and a chance to win an iconic brand of hunting, shooting and fishing coat from Barbour. And there will be other competitions and information updates on our great game fairs of ireland facebook pages and group

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Unfortunately not this year - there will be a gunfitter at Shanes Castle 29/30. If you want to make the trip I'll send you a couple of half price admission vouchers and the gunsmith carrying out the service is doing it at a special game fair price.

Thank you very much for the offer! Unfortunately i wont be able to attend shanes this year, however I will be going to galway on the Sunday. Is the clay shoot pre-registered or can you show up on the day to have a go?

GolfVI wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the offer! Unfortunately i wont be able to attend shanes this year, however I will be going to galway on the Sunday. Is the clay shoot pre-registered or can you show up on the day to have a go?

Turn up on the day - details of shoots at both fairs on irishgamefair site or great game fairs of ireland facebook page

Another couple of little competitions for a good cause :

WIN YOUR DOG ONE OF THE MOST LUXURIOUS DOG BEDS IN THE WORLD!
    Working with Harry Campbell of the Sheepish Dog Bed company and Sam Willoughby from Gundog Rescue & Rehoming we have widened the opportunities to win one of these €100 plus luxury dog beds for your dog.
    Each member of the winning Team in the Estate, Shoot and Gundog of the Year competition – now solely being staged at the Irish Game Fair, Shanes Castle on Sunday 30th June, will win a luxury dog bed , a crystal clock and of course the Perpetual Shoot of the Year Trophy. Three person teams should get their entry in to Sam as soon as possible.
    The fastest dog each day in the Gundog Rescue & Rehoming Gundog Scurry at the Galway Game Fair, Irish Country Lifestyle Festival, Galway Racecourse 15/16 June will win a bed.
    AND the winner of the GR&RH Children’s dog show in the main arena at Galway 14.30 hrs on Saturday 15th June will win one of these superb Sheepish Dog Beds. This event is also sponsored by Countryside Alliance Ireland.
    Sheepish Dog Beds will be exhibiting their superb range of beds at both events so if you don't win one you can still treat your dog(s) to one of these great beds by purchasing one at either fair.

WIN tickets to the Galway Game Fair 15/16 June and a Barbour Bedale coat on the following radio stations : Shannonside; Galway Bay; Midland 103; Clare Radio; TippFM and Mayo Radio. And win tickets to the Shanes Castle Game Fair 29th /30th June plus a Bedale Coat on Northern Sound Radio AND tickets plus a £750 Barbour voucher from Smyths of Coleraine plus a £250 voucher for books from Paul Morgan Coch-y-Bonddu on U105 - GREAT VALUE FAIRS www.irishgamefair.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Whats the cost of entry?

ADULT €15 FAMILY €35 ( 2 Adults & up to 4 Children) CHILDREN 5-15 €5 PROGRAMME & PARKING FREE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

If anyone is interested I'll be there on Saturday at the Irish Water Spaniel Club of Ireland stand promoting one of our native Irish working breeds. Other members of the club will man it on Sunday.
    Anyone been nosey or with a question about this fantastic working breed of dog can be answered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

'......Irish Water Spaniel Club of Ireland stand, ...... with a question about this fantastic working breed of dog can be answered there,'.

Seen the Water Spaniels at the Pet Expo 2018, fantastic looking dogs. Well worth a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 outfoxing

Any updates on how the game fair in Galway went equal better or worse than birr all info appreciated

• Advertisement

I spent just over four and a half hours at it on Saturday. To be honest the venue is NO Birr Castle. It reminded me of going to a trade fair in the RDS. I wasn't overly keen on the layout of the stalls up around the main race course stand.

For the duration of our visit the place looked empty, whether this was because it was a poor choice of weekend, Fathers Day and all or maybe it clashed with the Taste of Dublin, I don't know. I have gone to Birr on Saturday and Sundays before and seen good crowds.

The exhibition stands themselves were the same as before more or less but I thought the use of the main race stand / building a poor choice . On reflection there were several of the regular stands absent from the grounds.

IMO and that of the other half the grounds of Birr lend itself better to the over all atmosphere and more importantly inhances the likes of the dog trials and clay shoot. I remember going to one at Slaine Castle, these venues would be better.

We made a weekend of it staying in Galway so Yes if it was there again next year I'd go but purely to combine a week end away with a few hours at the fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

outfoxing wrote: »
    Any updates on how the game fair in Galway went equal better or worse than birr all info appreciated

I would agree with what cookie has said, the venue itself in the racecourse took away from the atmosphere

A country fair on concrete surrounded by buildings just didn't seem right, I've been to birr on numerous occasions and the grounds alone of birr castle were half the attraction.

The stalls inside the stands I believe were trying to follow after the great British shooting show without the wow factor, i believe it should be one or the other. Outside fair or inside show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

They should team up with one of the agricultural shows if they can't get access to somewhere like Birr Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Always wonderd why they are never at the ploughing championship?you cant get more exposure to people and the countryside than that event for 3 days.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Always wonderd why they are never at the ploughing championship?you cant get more exposure to people and the countryside than that event for 3 days.
    Probably cost too much for stall/tent space. Ploughing match too big an event. Game fair would get lost in it. Probably one of the smaller shows like Tullamore show.

Ploughing match too big.The Game Fair would get lost in it.

Might be a problem with the clay pigeon shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

With the size of that place??:pac: Think it is a missed opportunity,even if price is a problem,two or more dealers could hire a stand.Have our orgs even been there?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

With the size of that place??:pac: Think it is a missed opportunity,even if price is a problem,two or more dealers could hire a stand.Have our orgs even been there?
    The cost of a stand there is scary. I would find it hard to believe any gun dealer/dealers could justify it.

I remember talking to a supplier who's stand at the RDS cost €20,000.00 for a 4 day Exbo, he was lucky to generate €1000.00 worth of orders that week.

• Advertisement

I remember talking to a supplier who's stand at the RDS cost €20,000.00 for a 4 day Exbo, he was lucky to generate €1000.00 worth of orders that week.

What show was that.

What show was that.

Catex, catering exhibition held every two years at the RDS.

I presume it wasn't a gun dealer so. At that price how could anyone justify that outlay.

I presume it wasn't a gun dealer so. At that price how could anyone justify that outlay.

Obviously not a gun dealer, the stand in question would be the equivalent of the ground floor of a small three bed semi detached house. The cost over the exbo inculded floor space, displays, construction cost of displays and back drops, then you also have to take into consideration staffing, transport etc etc.
    Even a booth just big enough to facilitate a tressel table costs quite alot.
    Once you move into a venue that will guarantee a high level of foot fall you can expect to pay big money per meter of stand space. The problem is you often don't cover the cost of being there and are really only promoting yourself to potential customers.

Money probably better spent on advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

The Nargc stand at the ploughing costs 10000 euro Anna May does not do discounts.
    3 metres by 3 metres in one of the large marquees will cost you 1700 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Unfortunately not this year - there will be a gunfitter at Shanes Castle 29/30. If you want to make the trip I'll send you a couple of half price admission vouchers and the gunsmith carrying out the service is doing it at a special game fair price.

If possible would be great to get a couple of these vouchers, was thinking of going up on Sunday from Kildare.

Was at the fair in Scarva recently and enjoyed it.

Will this be a similar fair?

Advertisement