Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WTD: rear disc wheel

• 17-06-2019 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Looking for a second hand rear road/mtb disc wheel.
    I need it to convert a geared Cross Check in a fixie.
    Limited budget

Thanks!

EDIT: 700c wheel

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just to confirm, the creak is the only reason i retired that wheel. no problems with it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Thanks @magicbastarder - if there's one thing I cannot live with, it's a creaking wheel.
    I read you're not shipping either...

dunno how much it'd cost to ship a wheel. not something i've tried before.

dunno how much it'd cost to ship a wheel. not something i've tried before.

yeah but even if you decided to do it, you would still ship it with that free creaking noise...
    :)

• Advertisement

anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

don't have a disc wheel, but do have a cross check and am intrigued as to what you are doing with a disc wheel on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

@lennymac
    I think, he means a disc brake compatible wheel.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @lennymac
    I think, he means a disc brake compatible wheel.

yes, the cross check is canti brake, hence my curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a pair of Felt VR21 disc wheels. They’re shod with 28mm Schwalbe Duranos and tubes. They’re 21mm internally and so the 28mm tyre inflates to over 30mm. They’re thru axle/centre lock discs although no discs are included. Less than 500km on the wheels/tyres so as good as new.

I’m not willing to split the wheels.

€100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

lennymc wrote: »
    yes, the cross check is canti brake, hence my curiosity

aahhh

don't have a disc wheel, but do have a cross check and am intrigued as to what you are doing with a disc wheel on it....

Hi lennymc, If I recall correctly you had a hospital green one... :)
    I'm looking at a cheap way to fix the bike as I don't have money to build a new wheel.
    You can use the 6 bolt platform used to mount the disc to screw in an ISO sprocket like the one in the pic below...
    it's just a cheap way to convert a bike with 130 mm rear spacing in a fixed gear
    Now, mind that you can find ISO sprockets for 15 euro... I don't have to buy a Phil Wood :)
    Velosolo sell them for about that money too

0026676_phil-wood-iso-sprocket-silver_625.jpeg

dscn4349FAQ.jpg

Cheers!

I have a pair of Felt VR21 disc wheels. They’re shod with 28mm Schwalbe Duranos and tubes. They’re 21mm internally and so the 28mm tyre inflates to over 30mm. They’re thru axle/centre lock discs although no discs are included. Less than 500km on the wheels/tyres so as good as new.

I’m not willing to split the wheels.

€100

I only need a rear wheel @CeeJ - thanks anyway

clod71 wrote: »
    Hi lennymc, If I recall correctly you had a hospital green one... :)
    I'm looking at a cheap way to fix the bike as I don't have money to build a new wheel.
    You can use the 6 bolt platform used to mount the disc to screw in an ISO sprocket like the one in the pic below...
    it's just a cheap way to convert a bike with 130 mm rear spacing in a fixed gear
    Now, mind that you can find ISO sprockets for 15 euro... I don't have to buy a Phil Wood :)
    Velosolo sell them for about that money too

0026676_phil-wood-iso-sprocket-silver_625.jpeg

dscn4349FAQ.jpg

Cheers!

Brilliant - fixed gear CX for next year!! :)

Brilliant - fixed gear CX for next year!! :)

Ha, welcome to tracklocross :)

https://allcitycycles.com/blog/tracklocross_nationals_2018_mpls

clod71 wrote: »

There was a guy on lfgs racing a dolan pre cursa in cx a while back. they have a whole thread dedicated to sscx. It really is fun!

There was a guy on lfgs racing a dolan pre cursa in cx a while back. they have a whole thread dedicated to sscx. It really is fun!

Unfortunately there's not a great fixed gear movement in Ireland... Usually they are the ones who go on to organise those cxss silly fun races with loads of beer and laugh at the finish line.
    I don't know of any cxss specific race being held in the country actually, but I'm not racing at the moment, so I might be wrong.
    Racing on the other hand seems to be taken very seriously, now even in the CX world.
    I think we're a bit OT though... :D

--

Anyone wants to sell me a rear disc wheel?

Advertisement