Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism and cycling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

jhenno78 wrote: »
    Isn't it absolute minimum of 1hr per (not irish) unit?
    So if you're counting pints as a drink then 2hours isn't enough.

I did say "Comfortably past the 2 hour limit"

However drinkaware.ie say it is 1 hour per standard drink (standard drink is 284ml of 4.5% beer), meaning it's 2 hours per pint. For context, I'm a 6"3, 16 stone 29 year old guy & my body seems to be slower than that.. But, obviously the best remedy is not drinking, or not driving at all the day after.

Link to drinkaware facts https://www.drinkaware.ie/facts/drink-driving

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ach, I didn't think Paris was that bad. Not as nice as Dublin though, but we have a lot more cyclists here.

On the whole, France is very good though. Have done a lot of cycling in France and its right up there with Ireland in terms of of amenability to cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ach, I didn't think Paris was that bad. Not as nice as Dublin though, but we have a lot more cyclists here.

On the whole, France is very good though. Have done a lot of cycling in France and its right up there with Ireland in terms of of amenability to cyclists.

Paris wasn't terrible to me at all, just not as nice as the rest of France and to be honest, not worse than Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

God fearing motorists. There'll be murder in the next parish notes.
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1082723312625700865?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    not worse than Dublin
    This can be the new benchmark for cycling excellence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lumen wrote: »
    DfpQXk4XcAAIK-g.jpg

"... but if I meet any resistance, I'll give up and just tell everyone they're rotten if they don't wear hi-viz and helmets."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hurrache wrote: »
    God fearing motorists. There'll be murder in the next parish notes.
    It's often struck me that it's splendid to see the integration with Irish cultural norms around the mosque/ centre in clonskeagh on a Friday. Cars dumped everywhere - pavements, cycle lanes, grass between path and road - just like you see around any Church on a Sunday (or for wedding or funeral).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Relevant to the thread in a roundabout way:

I had to laugh last week at the letters page of the Irish Times - with Pedestrian deaths recording a 32% increase last year, needless to say the blame is with.....

Pedestrians......

Where have we heard that one before.

Sir - The Road Safety Authority and the Minister for Transport deserve our congratulations in that the number of persons killed on our roads continues to decline year on year.

However, the fact that there is an increase of 32 per cent in pedestrian deaths in 2018 over 2017 should be a cause for concern. This figure could be reduced if it were made an offence to walk on unlit roads in the dark without wearing reflective gear.

I simply don't understand your attitude. To me, it smacks of refusing to take responsibility for your own safety.

What's wrong with asking somebody who's walking at night on a country road with no footpaths and no street lights to wear a high-vis vest?

Remember there's no legal requirement to carry a torch in such circumstances either. Suppose there was a proposal about this instead. How would you feel about that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Duffryman wrote: »
    What's wrong with asking somebody who's walking at night on a country road with no footpaths and no street lights to wear a high-vis vest?

Remember there's no legal requirement to carry a torch in such circumstances either. Suppose there was a proposal about this instead. How would you feel about that one?
    Nothing wrong with asking, it's making it mandatory that people have a problem with.

The torch thing might be a law actually, at least it's in the rules of the road (is there a real law behind it? Maybe it's the RSA making up things again).

It was the one question I failed on my theory test when I did it, something like, in a group of 10 or more people walking on the road at night time what colour lamp should the person at the rear be holding? First I'd heard of the concept. Wasn't sure why it was on the DRIVER theory test either.

I simply don't understand your attitude. To me, it smacks of refusing to take responsibility for your own safety.

Whats wrong with asking people to drive at a speed that they see a person on an unlit road in plenty of time. Hi Vis is useless once a person dips their beams, so whenever they meet another car, or they are forgetful. Also on bends, they won't see whats around the bend but some people think ploughing round corners with high ditches at 80km an hour is OK. It isn't OK at 50km/hr, even 30km/hr is a push, as you have to be able to stop in the space that you can see ot be clear ahead.

The truth is, its probably to late to change this attitude, but the legal requirement is in all of the above scenarios, to drive slower but that's too much of an inconvenience.

Like that farmer without Hi Vis who was killed by a car driver, who said they were doing 80kmph but blamed the lack of Hi Vis, the gardas widely accepted inaccurate method of measuring speed via skid marks put the car at 50kmph. This doesn't change the fact that the car was on a slight bend, and while the pedestrian could be considered partially at fault for crossing the road with oncoming traffic, the simple fact of the matter is that, and no one like to hear this, for the road and where on the road he was driving, at that time, he should have been doing 30kmph tops. even if he had been wearing Hi Vis, and presuming it helped visibility, he still would have not had time to stop if doing the speed he claimed, evidenced by the skid mark distance. By the gardais thinking, if they honestly believe 50kmph caused a skid that long, then that was too fast but no, lets blame the guy with no Hi Vis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yes - absolutely; I agree with you 100000%.

And in this case what the letter writer do - did he/ she say; well as a driver I must take responsibility for my own actions?

No they did not.

They said, first place to look, when discussing why more cars are hitting pedestrians......is not at us as drivers, but at the pedestrians.

Thank you for making this valuable point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Like that farmer without Hi Vis who was killed by a car driver, who said they were doing 80kmph but blamed the lack of Hi Vis, the gardas widely accepted inaccurate method of measuring speed via skid marks put the car at 50kmph. This doesn't change the fact that the car was on a slight bend, and while the pedestrian could be considered partially at fault for crossing the road with oncoming traffic, the simple fact of the matter is that, and no one like to hear this, for the road and where on the road he was driving, at that time, he should have been doing 30kmph tops. even if he had been wearing Hi Vis, and presuming it helped visibility, he still would have not had time to stop if doing the speed he claimed, evidenced by the skid mark distance. By the gardais thinking, if they honestly believe 50kmph caused a skid that long, then that was too fast but no, lets blame the guy with no Hi Vis.

It was a national primary road.

Skid marks? He didn't emergency brake.

Skid marks even analysed correctly and with an accurate measure of friction factor of surface is a very accurate method of establishing speed.

The Garda in that case used a throw distance calculation which is flaky at best but very dependent on initial conditions at impact;pedestrian posture/movement, car bumper/bonnet geometry, precise location of impact. The garda couldn't have had accurate reliable information an all initial conditions and shouldn't have used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

TheChizler wrote: »

The torch thing might be a law actually, at least it's in the rules of the road (is there a real law behind it? Maybe it's the RSA making up things again).

It was the one question I failed on my theory test when I did it, something like, in a group of 10 or more people walking on the road at night time what colour lamp should the person at the rear be holding? First I'd heard of the concept. Wasn't sure why it was on the DRIVER theory test either.

Assuming that is true about the light why does it matter what colour the light is ? Am I going to be absolved of blame if they were carrying the wrong coloured torch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How would you test the 8 hour sleep one, I'll be honest, i have only had a full 8 hours sleep twice in the past month, typically sleeping about 6 to 7 hours most nights
    I was talking of a theoretical test for sleep, or rather drowziness. The 8 hour was plucked out of the air

I actually think it could be done similar enough to alcohol testing. There might be something which could be measured, like melatonin levels or something, which would be tested which indicates if you are likely to be drowzy. Note I do not say are drowzy, just like high alcohol levels are deemed good enough to say you are likely to be impaired, even though you might be OK and pass any driving test with flying colours.

So just like the cautious recommendations of saying in general people should have 1 standard drink max, the RSA ads would be probably be saying the average person should have 8 hours sleep to be sure their "drowzy hormone levels" are going to pass the roadside test. So just like with drink you would hear loads of anecdotes of people passing who only had 5 hours sleep.

I just wonder would such a test be welcomed with open arms by those who are so dead against drink driving, who say you would be absolutely mad to drive with 1 pint on you. I do not think it would be welcomed by many, in a roundabout way similar to the helmet & high viz debates.

A-"you would be fcuking MAD to cycle without a helmet"
    B- "so do you wear one while walking home pissed, or in a car, or on the luas, while walking in icy weather"
    A- "Of course not you would be MAD to wear one in those circumstances."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

rubadub wrote: »
    It is not a law. In the RoTR they use the word "must" and "should", and "must" refers to laws, "should" is their own recommendations.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Rules_of_the_road.pdf

Shock! It's actually a law for a group! Or at least was in 1964. Who knew!
    35.—

(3) During lighting-up hours at least one person from a group of twenty persons or more walking along a road shall carry a lamp showing a white light visible for a reasonable distance in the direction in which the group is walking and a red light visible for a reasonable distance in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

xckjoo wrote: »
    What annoys me about the High Viz push is that it's treated like they're protection from a speeding car, instead of the minor visual aid they are. The primary personal responsibility should lie with the person controlling the car and all this recent High Viz talk is being used to obfuscate that responsibility. It also fosters the mindset that you can drive faster and with less care because you'll see everyone from miles away (untrue).

The illustration I hark back to - and it seems to apply to so many walks of life these days, largely I feel due to social media and the platform this gives people to voice their opinions - is one used by an American pastor with reference to the American far right.

He was talking about why the far right has deep concerns about for example abortion and relative lack of concern about divorce or adultery......

And his point was - people are far more vocal about the sins that don't apply to them.

And I know that's true for personal experience - for example, I don't own a dog - and I give out yards about dog owners and dog crap everywhere. If I owned a dog, probably wouldn't do that so much.

I think at this point, social media and media - I'd be reluctant to say it should grow up - but I wish it would grow up. Social media has become a tool for divisiveness in society, and this conversation about hi viz for cyclists or pedestrians, its just an other example of that. So its really not even worth discussing this one instance of it - albeit I brought it up myself - because there will be many more punters in the Irish Times, the Journal, Facebook etc etc who don't walk in country roads at night, but believe that because they saw someone in a black jacket while driving the car ...... that this is a scourge and needs to be outlawed.

ford2600 wrote: »
    It was a national primary road.
    Apologies, it was a straight stretch of road, so not sure what the excuse was if he had his high beams on. He says it was a drissly evening, damp roads, dark, not really the time to be doing the limit, but thats not the attitude here.
    Skid marks? He didn't emergency brake.
    Apologies
    Skid marks even analysed correctly and with an accurate measure of friction factor of surface is a very accurate method of establishing speed.
    The Garda in that case used a throw distance calculation which is flaky at best but very dependent on initial conditions at impact;pedestrian posture/movement, car bumper/bonnet geometry, precise location of impact. The garda couldn't have had accurate reliable information an all initial conditions and shouldn't have used it.
    I must have gotten confused, I was talking to friends working in forensics in the UK and France when they were back for a wedding and they said the methodology used was a crock of sh1t, my memory must have merged me thinking he breaked and their statement, so sorry about that. All they told me was the methodology used here is flawed(they used less polite language), so my mistake. The fact that the driver openly admitted he thought he was doing 85kmph (just above the limit your honour), says to me that it is far from accurate.
    I am not blaming the driver here, i am blaming the culture. I have been berated by passengers for dropping below the speed limit when I lose sight lines or can't see far enough ahead of me. The last time someone done it, the irony was we passed where a school friend had passed away, in an accident directly attributed to speeding.
    Don't get me wrong, the pedestrian was an idiot for running across the road with oncoming traffic as well, two wrongs don't make a right though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

posts on hi-vis move to the hi vis megathread, found here

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Interesting piece on start of Ciara Kelly show from an architect/cyclist listener talking about issues with cycling lanes being blocked.
    The architect part is relevant as he has some awareness of current guidelines and practices in allocating space to cycle lanes.

A delivery driver called in and said they would love to deliver items in the middle of the night but A, businesses are usually closed and B, residents don't want the sound of delivery trucks at 04:00.

Be interesting if electric-vehicles could alleviate part of this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That architect was Ciaran Ferrie I believe!

• Advertisement

A delivery driver called in and said they would love to deliver items in the middle of the night but A, businesses are usually closed and B, residents don't want the sound of delivery trucks at 04:00.

My wife at one stage worked alongside Dublin City Council in trying to come to an agreement as to best practice for deliveries into stores in the city centre.

As it is drivers should be switching their engines off anyway. But the noise complaints usually stem from either the noise of roll cages being dragged back and forth, or the hum of the refrigeration units as opposed to the noise of them arriving and departing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

My wife at one stage worked alongside Dublin City Council in trying to come to an agreement as to best practice for deliveries into stores in the city centre.

As it is drivers should be switching their engines off anyway. But the noise complaints usually stem from either the noise of roll cages being dragged back and forth, or the hum of the refrigeration units as opposed to the noise of them arriving and departing.

Or the beep beep beep of the reversing siren.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Interesting piece on start of Ciara Kelly show from an architect/cyclist listener talking about issues with cycling lanes being blocked.
    The architect part is relevant as he has some awareness of current guidelines and practices in allocating space to cycle lanes.

I don't really blame delivery drivers for this kind of thing. They pull up where they can and are usually under tight time constraints so can't spend 20mins looking for parking nearby. Like most of these things it's a planning issue. I'm sure most delivery drivers park loading bays where available.

Now the lads that pull up to nip to the shop can f right off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm sure most delivery drivers park loading bays where available.
    Not in Ranelagh at SuperValu - grand loading bay at the back, but vans and trucks regularly block the cycle lanes for deliveries. They even put out cones to keep cars off the cycle lanes so that only their vans can block them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not in Ranelagh at SuperValu - grand loading bay at the back, but vans and trucks regularly block the cycle lanes for deliveries. They even put out cones to keep cars off the cycle lanes so that only their vans can block them.

I was thinking my comment was fairly anecdotal when I posted it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't really blame delivery drivers for this kind of thing. They pull up where they can and are usually under tight time constraints so can't spend 20mins looking for parking nearby. Like most of these things it's a planning issue. I'm sure most delivery drivers park loading bays where available.

It is an indirect subsidy to them though, meaning they're more competitive with small delivery vehicles than they would be if the parking/unloading rules were enforced properly.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, Ed Power writes this in an article about the Irish nightclub in the Irish Times
    A thriving nightclub is as rare a sight in Irish cities as a cyclist stopping at a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Qrt

Apropos of absolutely nothing, Ed Power writes this in an article about the Irish nightclub in the Irish Times
    A thriving nightclub is as rare a sight in Irish cities as a cyclist stopping at a red light.[/url]

I came here to post the exact same thing. It’s quite shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Aldi in Rathmines get deliveries at 6am

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement