Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling/donating toys

• 29-12-2010 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Can anyone advise on where I can donate some of my toddlers' toys? Charity shops these days tend not to want to accept oddments or visibly used things, and bring centres don't usually have toy bins. The toys are not broken but one is graffiti'd (a toy garage - my older son drew on it) and there are various little figures that used to belong to sets. I was thinking of maybe a toddler group or women's refuge and wonder if anyone has any specific suggestions in the south Dublin area.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Child groups are a good idea although unfortunately I don't know of any specific ones. You could also put them up on www.adverts.ie in the free section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

jorgena wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on where I can donate some of my toddlers' toys? Charity shops these days tend not to want to accept oddments or visibly used things, and bring centres don't usually have toy bins. The toys are not broken but one is graffiti'd (a toy garage - my older son drew on it) and there are various little figures that used to belong to sets. I was thinking of maybe a toddler group or women's refuge and wonder if anyone has any specific suggestions in the south Dublin area.

Best of luck with it. I've been trying for many months to find a home for several sacks of soft toys, in perfect (barely used) condition, but have been unable to. I've contacted family refuges in the South East and in Dublin but nobody seems to want them if they're not new. I've just this morning contacted a charity working with kids in Eastern Europe and am awaiting their reply. Its an awful shame though - perfectly good toys going to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. I've been trying for many months to find a home for several sacks of soft toys, in perfect (barely used) condition, but have been unable to. I've contacted family refuges in the South East and in Dublin but nobody seems to want them if they're not new. I've just this morning contacted a charity working with kids in Eastern Europe and am awaiting their reply. Its an awful shame though - perfectly good toys going to waste.

It is pretty sickening, you know at the end of the day the kids will love them regardless but bureaucracy gets in the way again :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hospitals don't want cuddly toys because they can't be kept clean. Same reason you should not give them to playgroups.

Some charity shops are pickier than others, Oxfam want perfect books, but they sell them for more than other charity shops that take books that are more used. Shop around for places to give the non-cuddly toys to.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peppa

I give all my outgrown toys, books and dress-up clothes to a creche - they love getting them as they go through so many.

Also I get the satisfaction of knowing that lots of other kids will get plenty of use from them :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement